VORTEX TRIGGER PULL ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

VORTEX TRIGGER PULL ??

Post by GREYWOLF »

:D After all my mods. I am still not to happy with the trigger pull on my VORTEX. I have around 200 shot's thru it now and it has started to feel like a 2 stage pull ? My buddy with a VORTEX has also had this feeling ? I shoot My MAX and it seams to have a much crisper pull with no drag . has any one else noticed this ??. I feel it has a much to long a pull with a gap that can make you jerk and pull off your target , Mabey it's me but has any one else noticed a trigger problem between these new bows and the older ones ????
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have not shot my Equinox but when I pull the trigger it feels the same way.
I think Matthais72 has done some mods to his trigger.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

The trigger on my exomax was very scorbutic: very hard to pull, It was impossible feel exactly when it left the string; I modified it with a longer trigger, so now the effort decreased about 35%.
Instead my Exocet200 trigger is perfect, very progressive I can feel perfectly one instant before when it is leaving the string, so I didn't modify it. Probably not all triggers come out exactly equal and also the different pundage cans produce a different behave.

regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I could not know since I only own two Vixens, one with shims below the limbs Could it have anything to do with the thumb hole and how the new stock is gripped or even the length of it. I believe Bill T wouds have informed us if there was going to be a different "feel" with the new type stock. I might buy a Vortex one day tho. I bet it's really hard to get two seperate rigs to come off the assembly line identical. I believe they do an excellent job tho.
Camper

Post by Camper »

I found that my vortex has alot of creep in the trigger pull and when I start to squeeze the trigger it moves back a few millimeters and if I let off before I fire , it will stay at that position. Then when I start to sqeeze the trigger to shoot again, the trigger pull is less. I don't know how happy I am with this. My 185lbs exomag that I just sold had a way better trigger. I think I will email excalibur.

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Normous

Post by Normous »

I am planning a Vortex to replace our older 92 modified Exocet. My dealer has many in stock and I will try them all till I find the trigger I like.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My new Equinox trigger is not noteworthy either. Way too much travel and hesitation. I can shoot it but have to concentrate hard tp prevent jerking. The trigger on my Parker Terminator, by comparison, is smooth and has short takeup more like that of my firearms. It's the only thing that detracts from total satisfaction with an otherwise excellant bow.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I don't know if you know this little secret yet, probably yes, but a good way to increase trigger efficiency is to push it much in point as possible so your finger have to push the trigger and the trigger guard on the same time. Try it and let me know.

regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Matthias72 . . .agreed, it seems to help a lot. I actually want to hold my finger after the shot, against the trigger and the trigger guard for a moment while I keep my eye on the target and clearly see where my bolt hit.. . .making sure I get a good "finger and eye follow through". Another thing I do that seems to help . . .after cocking, putting on the safety and the bolt is loaded, I pull the trigger with the safety still on to snug up the trigger. Keep the bow pointed at the ground or target when doing this.

Sometimes when I'm hestitant in pulling(it's a controlled pull vs. a steady squeese) the trigger, I also notice the 2 cycle action.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

mmmmhhhh...I would avoid to do that Scott...my sense of prudence tells that is better to avoid to touch trigger without to be aimed on the targed....
regarding the two cycle action is true and on my opinion it is very good, I can feel on this way, with a good feeling with my crossbow, exactly when the arrow will be shoot and it need a minimal trigger pull effort, so a very precise shot. Of course not all excal triggers have the same mouvement, some one is a little scorbutic some one have a nice 2 cycle, but if Excalibur won 4 years without interruptions European and American championships I think that also the trigger is superior of all other brands...on my opinion it needs to be known well, you have to make a good feeling with it but after it is wonderfull.

Exomax&Exocet200
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Matthias . . .you are right, I have the bow aimed at target, squeeze the trigger against the safety device to snug it up and take my finger off the trigger. Then I start over, let off the safety and do my normal shooting routine. Seems like I get the same motion every time this way. Otherwise, it seems like I get a longer pull sometimes . . .could just be in my head. Anyway, I have not noticed the 2 cycle effect unless I hestitant . . .which is a mistake.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
GREYWOLF

Post by GREYWOLF »

I tried it today with the saftey on I pulled the trigger lightly. then let off ,took off the safty ! no difference still has to much creep and a spot in the middle that you can feel before it fires ??? My MAX does not have this problem it is crisp and even .. I hope this will stop
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Mine is great like it very much.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Tried taking up the slack on my Equinox trigger (on safe) before firing. BIG difference. Trigger slack is gone, much more consistant pull and I can predict the break. Thanks for the tip Sumner.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I have the same problem with my Equinox. It creaps them gets tight then more travel them fires. I tried taking the slack out by pulling the triger back with the safety on but it didn't help much. I wonder if it will get better with more use?
Equinox