A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

Post by Mike P »

It’s not my fault really. One of you guys did it! One of you sent my little tale to a publisher. I wasn’t going to say anything about it and just leave well enough alone but when the thread was brought back to life this morning, I felt that I owed you an explanation.

I was contacted by a very large outdoor publication firm in mid March. The lady who made first contact with me told me they had received the first five parts of The King & I via an unsolicited email. She told me the submission staff had read the series and brought them to her attention. She was very forthright and to the point and told me her company was very interested in having me join their “family” and wanted me to start writing a book immediately.

Guys, I just started doing this for grins. It was February and the season was over and I had some time on my hands. If you have read the series you know that I am retired and pretty much know my life style. All the characters in the stories are real. I thought it would just be nice to tell the members of this forum how four old geezers became friends and how hunting whitetails over the years has kept us together. I read several forums concerning whitetail hunting. I contribute very little to any and you can see I am not a heavy contributor to this forum as well. But I like this forum. This one is like a big family and the fights and petty bickering taking place on many of the forums are just not found here. I just wanted to contribute something to the forum that I had come to enjoy so much. I just wanted to give something back to all of you who had given me so much in the past with information and help when I first bought my used carved tip exocet a few years ago. That’s all it was. It was never meant to be any kind of big deal.

I won’t go into the details of what transpired since March. I’ll give you the readers digest version and keep it short. I didn’t believe a lot of the things I was being told in the beginning. My business life prior to my retirement had taught me to sound the alarm when any deal just sounded too good to be true. I pretty much kept this posture during many negotiation sessions during April. The type of money they were talking about was pretty much a “yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it” amount.

It arrived the beginning of May. I now believe it. It was just way too much money to turn down. And it was just the advance. Part of the contract I signed forbids me now to submit any intellectual property to any entity without prior approval from the publisher. I even had to submit this post for approval. Obviously they have no problem with me telling all of you why you didn’t get the conclusion of the story.

And I also wanted to thank someone. I don’t know which one of you guys sent the story to the publisher. You can fess up here in this thread if you want. If you don’t want to, I will understand your decision. But know this, I owe you! If and when my first one hits the printing press, there will be a mention of how this came to be in the dedication.

And last, I think I owe all of you this. The King is not fictional. And he is very much alive this May morning as he oversees his domain.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's the absolute best part of The King and I . . .best to you Mike P. Keep us posted on your published materials.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Leonard Hawkins

Post by Leonard Hawkins »

good going mike, It wasnt me, wish it was. congrats, you deserve it. Hawk
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Mike,not knowing what you did for a living prior to retiring,and having followed your "tales",I really think you may have missed your calling!
If someone wants to pay you to do something you love to do,isn't that what retirement is all about?
Soak it all in,you deserve it!
If you need any help taking all that green stuff to the bank,give me a call!!LOL!!
Bob Vandrish.
A.W

Post by A.W »

Congrats!!!! :wink:
[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/b38/allan_w_/th_tinybuck3hj1.gif[/img]

Exocet your options and exCalibur8 your sights.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WOW!!! That's WONDERFUL!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

congrats cant wait until its published to read the conclusion :D
huntman

Post by huntman »

Congrats Mike. .. I must say i really enjoyed all parts of the King. Please let us know where and when any of your work is plubished. Best of Luck, your writing skills are tremendous and i'm confident you'll do great!
diesel

Post by diesel »

That's SUPER Mike. A big congrats to you. :D :D
TYE

Post by TYE »

This is great news! Congradulations Mike! When you get an article, story, or book published, you let us know about it! I'll be sure to get a copy!
maple

Post by maple »

Way to go Mike. You earned it. Must'ave been your karma.

And no it wasn't me.

Maple :lol: :wink:
(THE BLUE STAR)

Post by (THE BLUE STAR) »

Congrat`s Mike. Please let me know when you published book is out :D
Frederick.. The Blue Star
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Big congrats i just read it all from start to finish i need yhe rest im hooked it is a great great story mike PLEASE let me know when the rest comes out i cant wait. Best of luck to you.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats great news Mike,you deserve it.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

awesome
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot