ticks, ticks, ticks

Post by hatchet jack »

what do you use for ticks, as much as i spray i seem to get some ticks

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

bstout,

I have been using use Sawyer Clothing Tick Repellent which contains Permethrin for hte last two hunting seasons. You spray it on your clothes, not on your skin, and it lasts up to 6 weeks and several washings. I retreat once a month and I have not had a tick since I started using it.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

HH I do the same thing plus you can use boot blosersand or ware a bug suit under your camo.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Permanon is the only way to go on clothing.

Any repellent with 20+ % deet in it for the skin.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
DJH

Since we are on the subject....

Post by DJH »

Ex-site Members - Since we are the subject of ticks, I thought I would share an email that I got several weeks ago. How to keep them off your body is one thing, what do when you strip to the buff and find out that one has attached itself to your carcass is another. Please read the following:

INTERESTING, DIFFERENT WAY TO REMOVE TICKS!
Didn't know if you have problems with ticks, but we sure do. I haven't tried this yet, but I sure will when someone get a tick on them. Hopefully no one will need this advice, but just in case.....Please forward to anyone with children . or hunters, etc!! thanks!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and let it stay on the repulsive insect for a few seconds (15-20), after which the tick will come out on it's own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DJH . . .cool. I'll have to try that next time. I didn't think anything would make them back out.

Most of what I see on a deer isn't a tick at all. What most people refer to as a "deer tick" is a fly. Here is a quote. . .

"Lepotena mazamae "deer ked"

These arthropods, often refereed to as "deer ticks" are actually wingless flies. The adult is about 1/8 of an inch long and they live in the hair of the animal. They are well adapted to this existence and feed on blood. They can live on the deer for up to 6 months. The blood feeding activity produces irritation and can result in hair loss and an anemia. Animals in poor condition with heavy infestations may experience difficulty in severe winters. Transmission from one animal to another is by direct contact"

They look like a large tick. I still don't like them.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

bstout wrote:I especially don't want any chemicals on me (or my clothing) while I'm hunting.

I don't have any great fear of ticks or mosquitos. I find them more of a nuisance than anything else.

I feel we're all pretty much set in our ways. I do what works for me. I can't be too clean.

Nature's own defense.
I used to feel the same way. Last year my sister-in-law contracted lyme disease from a deer tick larvae. After watching what she has, and continues to, endure there is no way I would hunt without treating my clothes.

HH
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

HERE IN KANSAS WE HAVE THE VERY SMALL TICK CALLED,,IXODES,, THEY ARE VERY SMALL,LOOKS LIKE A SMALL BLACK SPOT ON YOUR SKIN,WE ALSO HAVE THE DEER TICKS BUT DONT HAVE MUCH PROBLEM WITH THEM.

THANKS FOR THE INFO,,,,,,,,,H,J,
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i dont wear any bug spray when deer hunting.. cant risk spooking deer and this comes from someone that thought he had gotten lyme disease also LOL.

rubber boots are a must! Ticks dont like climbing up them! I wear that under armor stuff and if you tuck that in under your plain hunting clothes then ticks cant get under it and on your skin. But that along with the rubber boots usually keep all ticks off me during the hot months. I got that tick on me which I thought gave me lyme from riding the buck on the 4wheeler out of the woods. I even showered but he had already latched on the bottom of my arm in a place I couldnt see. I normally can feel them when they bite, but didnt find this one untill about 10 hours later. I still think I have the after effects of lyme since I give out way to easy now and get common colds more than usuall
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Snug fitting clothes. I have picked hundreds off me where I used to live in Nova Scotia. Most times you feel them crawling before they find a place to bite. Never really paid too much attention to them, just peeled down every hour or two, to check (got pretty fast at it when the black flies were thick) and that's it. I heard bug spray does help.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

oh and like said above, find a spray that has ALOT of DEET.. some only has about 2%-6% in them which are for kids. You want 20%. I bought some off from walmart which was 40% and I believe they had some that was 60% Deet. I always coat myself during spring turkey season since turkeys cant smell :lol:
Last edited by crazyfarmer on Tue May 22, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i read a article on a guy tha takes vitimin b-1 he said he never gets ticks or mosquitos bites,,,,,,,,i have used avon skin oh so soft , it worked pretty good. i got careless last time out. picked up 3 of those guys but have them healing.

have a nice day h.j.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

crazyfarmer wrote:oh and like said above, find a spray that has ALOT of DEET.. some only has about 2%-6% in them which are for kids. You want 20%. I bought some off from walmart which was 40% and I believe they had some that was 60% Deet. I always coat myself during spring turkey season since turkeys cant smell :lol:
I've got a little bottle of Deep Woods I've had for years. It is 95% Deet.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Chris, I just went and looked and thats what i have.. 95% as you said! Definitly keeps the ticks and everything off! I wouldnt even think of using it during deer season lol..Very strong smell
John Wade

Tick Cure

Post by John Wade »

My dad had a method he used on us. It was called, "Tick Me Off" If we did he beat the bugs off of us.
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca