NEW SPEED XBOW ON THE WAY ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREYWOLF

NEW SPEED XBOW ON THE WAY ?

Post by GREYWOLF »

(FIRST) I am not promoting or pushing another brand of XBOW, This is just FYI . OK

I was lucky enough today to be in our shop when the PSE rep. came in today with the new X FORCE compound ! WOW what a sweet and fast shooting bow 345 F.P.S. with a 385 grain arrow at 28,5" draw and 65 lbs.
A 350 F.P.S. rating at 70 lbs. with a 30" draw. Well enough for the verts.

They have decided to realy get into the xbow market , I am not talking about there old copper head xbows .! BOW TECH started the Speed war and is now #1
After an hour of questining there rep. Who was very tight liped and not giving out much info. other than forget the STRYKER It will no longer be #1 in speed with a #175 pound pull. I have been told.not in so many terms that the new PSE will be a railless X bow with some sort of drop away rest, short limbs with some special composit split limb design useing paralell limb design. ??? And a special duel top and bottom string griper with a 3.5 lb.pull, Well it all sound s great , and I cant wait till the 08 ARROW SHOW . but I realy think that all these speed deamons will hurt the progress we have made in the last 7 years, To many die hard vertical shooters , already hate us xbow shooters , now with all these super fast xbows comeing out , I feel it can only fuel the fire , My feeling is poundage and speed should be set to be equal to the new and fastest verts. with there 85% let off and lazer sights to avoide more bad press I would like to hear how other members feel on this touchy subject GREYWOLF
1 CUSTOM EXOMAX
1 CUSTOM EXOCET 200
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/greywolf1/Copyofexcalibur037-1.jpg[/img]
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Probably no different than recurve shooters are to compound shooters are to xbow shooters. There are those out there that just live to complain about things. With all of the advances that you mention about xbows the same can be said about vertical compounds. If it works for you and its legal, I'm good with it.
Why ride when you can walk!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Gray, I shot a PSE for many years and they may be good but they service SUCKS ! They do not stand behind there products. I would rather stay with a bow that has proven performance and reliable service such as Excal.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

No doubt, Groundpounder!

I don't care if they develop a laser ray gun that looks like a Star Trek phaser and zaps animals dead without shedding a drop of blood.

If a state approves it as a legal hunting weapon and someone wants to use it, that's fine with me.

People need to paddle their own canoes, and quit trying to force everyone else to be like them ... and that doesn't just apply to hunting.

Some folks just can't refrain from trying to make everyone be like them ... there's nothing wrong with preferring a method, or promoting it, or encouraging others to take it up ... but all this agitating to prohibit others from doing something different is nothing but pride and arrogance ... they use the "concern for the future of our hunting heritage" as a whipping post for getting their own egocentric views across.

Live and let live, I say.
Grizz
Sako

Post by Sako »

Wow... PSE service sucks.... That is a new one for me..... I have shot them for about 20 years and everytime I needed something they went above and beyond the call....

Now on to the Xbow... I am really happy with my Exocet 200.... I also just traded my vertical bow for a Horton 150 crossbow... ( I did this so everytime someone asks me to borrow my crossbow I could loan them the horton :) Seriously there were 4 deer killed with my crossbow last year and I only killed one of them ) Anyway, after messing with the Horton it just makes me more happy I bought an Excalibur first.... Now I am not bashing the Horton.. The only real complaint I have with it is that the Red Dot - elevation adjustment on them suck..... So to fix this I just bought an Lumizone and I will take the Varizone off of my exocet and put it on the Horton....

Long story shortened...... I do not care how fast the new Xbows are.... I really like my exocet and will stay with it for many more years... then when I do replace it I will most like stick with Excalibur and not worry about the speed so much...

Will this new Speed war give the vertical hunters more to cry about... yes, but then the ones that like to cry will always find something to cry about....
Like Mr. Nugent says... You can't grill it till you kill it.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

They gotta keep coming up with something new or everyone will be happy with what they have and that is the end of sales. I figure it is just more moving parts to screw up. I'll stick with my recurve - I like the simplicity of it. When will they come up with rocket assist in the end of the bolts? LOL
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Well said Grizz!

One thing I would like to add . . .as far as speed goes with both the compound and the crossbow. If you just want to shoot a target tip, then OK, however, put a "off the self" shaft/broadhead on those high speed babies and look out. I'll bet the groups at 30 yards will spread out 300%. The production of shafts, fletching, and broadheads will all have to tighten their tolerances to keep the high speed bows accurate. Building a faster bow at this juction is not as important as building a better arrow/bolt with a percision broadhead.

Anyway . . .one tiny flaw in the bolt and you are off the entire target. Been there, done that.

Live and let live? . . .more like, Hunt and let others hunt too.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Yes, it is way into overkill.

It will also hurt the campaign for liberalization and legalization of crossbow seasons.

That is the BIG problem with these vertical bow companies that are trying to cash in on the crossbow expansion. They do not care one iota about the tradition of crossbow hunting or what happens to it. It is the almighty dollar and that is it.

They will cash in until the well runs dry and then go back to making vertcial bows..

Guys and gals,

Buy crossbows only from crossbow manufacturers. They were here for us before the vertical guys got into the game.

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I don't understand how people get rapped up in the so-called speed war. I would rather shoot a 50fps bow if its accurate and I know where its going to shoot, than shoot 400fps if I can't make clean shots with it.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

bstout, it mainly came about because of the money aspect.

But for many crossbow hunters the need for speed to over power the sound effect. In the early days 26 years ago I watched deer duck the arrows. Now with speeds over 300 fps and shooting at a reasonable distance you'll not see a deer duck an arrow.
M&M

Post by M&M »

hey what is overkill anyhow? A arrow at punched through a deer whether it is at 250 fps or at 350 fps still is dead if the arrow is placed properly!! M&M
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

M&M . . .overkill is a term used by folks that have a slower bow and want to keep themselves from buying a faster bow. The slower one will do the job, however, not as quickly as the faster one because the bolt gets there 2 seconds faster. Kind of like folks with a slow computer.

Hope this helps. :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout . . .I'm not buying your theory on speed vs accuracy. You talking strickly bows? Please explain. You think the Vixen is the most accurate bow Excalibur makes?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

at 30 yards the difference between 250fps and 350fps is a less than a tenth and a half of a second. I am amazed by deer as much as the next guy but deer don't move that quick. If the deer is on high alert, that could be a different story, but at that point maybe you should work on being more steathy.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Kenton . . .even on high alert the deer is still dead at 30 yards. Only thing that would save that deer at 30 yards is either human/mechanical error or the deer moved before the trigger was pulled. Nothing else. A deer moves away from the arrow/bolt, either or both the sight or the sound. It will not move at the sound of the string. Maybe the motion of the limbs will catch their attention, but they still don't move until they recognize the unfamiliar sound and/or sight of the arrow coming at them. Look at all those "string jumping" videos . . .they are all moving from the arrow, a slow, noisey arrow. From the Exomax at 30 yards . . .the bolt is still going 300+ FPS when it gets to the deer . . .it's dead. . .unless of course you have human/mechanical error. This subject has been heavily debated on several threads. I just haven't had a problem with string jumping and I have killed several deer with a bow. All with a 70# compound or my Exomax. My longest shot was with the compound at 40 yards, the doe was facing me and looking right at me. I hit her directly in the center of her chest, she ran 25 yards. She didn't flinch until the arrow hit her. When I first begin bow hunting, I was bad. I shot at several deer and they stood there for second shots . . ."string jumping", you got to be kidding me. Human error . . .there's one I can believe. A faster bow will NOT cure human error. :wink: One more thing . . .a faster bow will highlight your mechanical flaws, especially with a bad broadhead.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen