Bow Noise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Polecat

Bow Noise

Post by Polecat »

I was wondering if any of you have a noise when the bolt holder snaps back on the rail after the shot? Also would it hurt if I put a little mole skin
on the holder?
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Polecat_2007/Jesus_the_Shepherd012.jpg[/img]
GOD IS THE GOOD SHEPHERD HE KNOWS THOSE
WHO KNOW HIM
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I don't really notice the noise. The noise not a concern of mine. As long as it shoots awesome groups, good enough! :D
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
bbbwb

Bow Noise

Post by bbbwb »

Polecat
Just a thought that I will put forth. Check to see if there is space between the bolt holder and the rail when at rest. The space on my Excal is a good 1/8th to 3/16th of an inch when at rest. I feel that this space is sufficient to allow the holder to return to rest after the shot but not strike the rail -- thus no noise.
This is just an idea.

bbbwb
Normous

Post by Normous »

I've been using moleskin under the holder since 92. Also helps that metal to metal sliding sound when inserting a bolt on a calm day in the bush.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mostlybow

Post by mostlybow »

Hey Polecat,

Let us now if that takes care of yur noise. If not yu might check to see if yur string is slapping the riser. I was noticing a metallic sound on my emax but was just gonna learn to live with it. I was shooting with sumner and he mentioned he had a problem with the string slapping the riser on his emax. I checked mine and sure enough there was a wax trail leading all the way to the riser. This causes extra noise but the main problem is the wear on the serving, probably cuts the life of the serving in half. Dampeners took care of the problem for sumner, Im gonna try them on mine.
EXOCET 175
A GOOD BOW SHOT CAN GO BAD WITH AN IMPURE THOUGHT
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Bending that arm is easy, you don't want it tapping the rail after you release an arrow, it will cause unnessasary wear.
The idea of adding moleskin is an excellent one too! But you still need to raise that arm.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
buckeye

Post by buckeye »

I forget who makes it but I use that liquid rubber that hardens up in 20 minutes or so. I just pour the stuff in a narrow tube, hold the bow foot stirup down and I just slide the bolt holder into the tube fillled with this liquid rubber and it puts a nice coat of rubber on it. You can make it as thick as you want buy continuing to dip it after each coat dries. I find two coats is perfect. I get it at Lowes and it also comes in a spray can but for this application it would be way to messy of course. Comes in black or bright yellow.
BUCKEYE

A man who makes no mistakes usually doesn't make anything at all.
Boo

Post by Boo »

How about heat shrink tubing?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When properly adjusted that arm works perfect. I personally would be against adding anything to it that has resistant properties, such as rubber. Mainly because you then have another maintainance issue and there would be more friction. I would simply adjust the arm unless you can add something that will hold the bolt and be slicker than the orginial arm. I can't think of anything with those qualities that would be a easy fix. Just be careful as do not get the arm too loose, the bolt will then slide . . .I perfer the noise problem to the sliding problem. However, when you get it right, it works perfect.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

My arrow was a little lose and I just wrapped a little electricians type around the holder's tip a few times till the arrow was held in place. I also use natural waxed sinu on the server part of the string. Saves on ware and doesnt hinder the speed.