Brace Height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Polecat

Brace Height

Post by Polecat »

Guy's , I know I may have ask this before, or for sure someone has, but, the 2 lines on the rail, for brace height , I hear some of you refer to the front line. Is the one nearer the riser the front , or is the one nearer the tigger the front? Don't nobody laugh at me , I may be big , but I am soft-hearted . :oops: Also is your bow faster nearer the front line ,or the back line?
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Polecat_2007/Jesus_the_Shepherd012.jpg[/img]
GOD IS THE GOOD SHEPHERD HE KNOWS THOSE
WHO KNOW HIM
Boo

Post by Boo »

The closer you come to the forward line the more chance of hitting the riser and damaging the threads of the serving and string. The closer to the forward line the faster the shot. I set my brace height to the one closest to the shooter because I want a quiet shot and I don't care about loosing a few feet per second.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I keep mine back towards the trigger too, keeps the noise down a bit. I keep my string exactly 1 1/8" from the riser, I measure so I can keep consistent and have one less variable.
When the string rests closer to the limbs you increase bow noise and speed, you are creating a longer power stroke. Mess around a bit and you will find what was described to me as a "sweet spot" that the bow really likes. I use that 1 1/8" measurement regardless of the string material I am using.
To answer you question specifically I really have no idea what guys are talking about when they say the forward line, I just nod and smile.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Thanks guys, I don't see how anyone could just pick up a xbow and go hunting. There seems to me to be more things you need to know than with a compound. Either that, or I have hunted with a compound for so long it just comes as second nature. I know one thing tho it is a lot easier on me, knowing where to come and get answers.
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Polecat_2007/Jesus_the_Shepherd012.jpg[/img]
GOD IS THE GOOD SHEPHERD HE KNOWS THOSE
WHO KNOW HIM
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout . . .hidden dangers? Don't scare polecat off.

Polecat . . .I sent you a pm. Let me know if you have any questions.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Here's what I have done with the three models I have had:

Simply, each bow has a "power stroke" as designated by the manufacturer. This has always seemed to me as a pretty good place to start. I simply measure the power stroke of the given model and set my string there to start. Then simply adjust as per your requirements. Generally, I've found the best brace heigth to vary little from this position.

Hope this helps
Joe