broadheads-what brand and type?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ratherbefishin

broadheads-what brand and type?

Post by ratherbefishin »

Given my short experiance with my exomax-I'll certainly be hunting with it come this fall -what brand and type of broad head do you use-the razor insert type-or the fixed blade?
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use the fixed blade G5 Montec but I would imagine that any quality,accurate broadhead will work fine.Use the one that you have confidance in and shoot well.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ratherbefishing,

I think if you averaged it out, the 3 most popular broadheads (fixed blade) used by the folks here would be.

Not in any particular order:
WASP Boss SST (comes in the Excal packages)
Slicktricks (gets the best reviews for hitting same POI as field tips)
Montec G5's

Start with any of these 3 and you'll be satisfied.

Rich
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

being new at this-is there any significant point of impact diference between target points and broadheads,and if so-how much?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The broadheads are harder to stabilize because of wind effects. The more surface area of the broadhead, the more likely it will not stabilize and be off target. The shorter bodied broadheads, like the Slick Tricks, perform better because they have less surface area exposed to the wind. The amount of distance off POI vs. field points depends on the speed of the bolt, the distance of the shot, and the amount of crosswind. Even without crosswind, you will have wind affecting the shot because of wind resistance to the bolt during flight.

The broadheads that flies most like a field tip are mechanicals simply because they are the most like field tips. There are some really good mechanicals out there and I don't even worry about whether or not they will open at impact . . .they will.

Inspect every broadhead carefully out of the box. A slight imperfection will throw that broadhead way off course, especially with the faster bows. I have some broadheads that were cut with the tip slightly off center . . .those are useless. Also, once a broadhead has been used, it must be inspected carefully, remember a slight imperfection can throw the broadhead off several inches. I'd rather replace the blades or replace the broadhead than take a chance on missing or wounding.

Spin test every bolt/broadhead for best results.

Hope this helps.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
hawg hunter

broadheads

Post by hawg hunter »

IMO stay with a fixed broadhead. Ther are several out there that fly with great accuracy. I started out with the ones' that came with the packg. Wasp very accurate extremly sharp flies well, but hardto find in this part of the country. Now I use Slicks and Montec both are very accurate fly straight, very durable but prefer the Montech by a little because they are easier to sharpen and I've had trouble finding replacement blades for Slicks. Have read reports that the Sonic and Liberty heads are good but no personal use. I've killed a lg no of wild hogs and 1 elk with Montec and 10 deer and 1 hog with Slicks.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I presume acomplete pass through is desireable in order to aid rapid blood loss-are any of the afore mentioned broadheads superior in that aspect?
PRB

Post by PRB »

I like the way the Montec G5 fly and the solid one piece construction.
Life Is Too Short !!! Live For The Moment !!!
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

a friend of mine who was a surgeon as well as a hunter said an animal suffering TOTAL blood pressure loss could run for 7 seconds-mind you-rarely does a hit result in total blood pressure loss- and even so-a deer can run a long way in 7 seconds.But it also makes the case for not startling a deer after a hit-but waiting before following up