vertical bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

navaman

vertical bows

Post by navaman »

i got a question for you vertical bowhunters out there. my other step-son has shown an interest in bow hunting but thinks he's going to like a compound vertical. i'm going to get him one and i've got it narrowed down to, parker, fred bear, and martin. which one do you guys think would best? i'd appreciate some feedback guys. thanks
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Im glad hes getting into verticle bow to, I shoot a Mathews Switchback also a Exocet 200. But i would lean to a Martin. Try a Martin Cougar Elite or a Fred Bear Truth or maybe a Parker Frontier but there not that good.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
navaman

Post by navaman »

i see what you mean about sizing. he's a big boy. about 6' 5" and real lean. i think i'll buy a gift certificate at a store in fresno ca. where he lives. thanks again
Polecat

Post by Polecat »

Wow , no Mathews , Bowtech , or PSE on your list :!: . What is this world coming to? No Drop Tine I am just kidding your list is fine. How ever I am a great fan of the Bowtech , and the Diamond by Bowtech. But from your list I would go with the Parker , for a number of reasons.

1- The price is nice
2- You can pick up a ready to hunt bow in a package ( some of the other bow makers also offer this )
3- Warranty

The list could go on , but for a first time bow the Parker would be hard to beat in it's bowhunting package. It is also pretty quick and it shoots well. BTW , most all of the newer bows out there today are a 100x's better than any bow that I started with 30 plus years ago. The best bow at any rate is the bow that fits him. Lets face it , the one he likes the best is the one he will shoot the best. The good thing is you are willing to get him out in the woods. Oh , one more thing it is hard to fit him with any bow , if you don't know about it yourself. It's best to take him to a pro shop and get it done right the first time.

All of this is just my 2 cents , there are to many good bows to pick just one. Have fun shopping.
[img]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Polecat_2007/Jesus_the_Shepherd012.jpg[/img]
GOD IS THE GOOD SHEPHERD HE KNOWS THOSE
WHO KNOW HIM
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

I'm on my Third year with a Parker bow.I bought a leftover model of the Stealth with the package deal[quiver.rest,etc].

It is a very smooth,quiet shooting bow and quit light to carry.I would recommend the draw length set-up to be done by the shop selling the bow as the proper draw length is often overlooked and so vital to a good relaxed smooth shot.

As you can tell I would give the Parker a thumbs up and their lower priced package model should be taken serious also :)
Give it a try,What the heck!
marmot

Post by marmot »

I thought that I would never be able to draw a bow again without severe pain until I purchased a Diamond Triumph from my local Outdoor World this year. I was in there looking at new bows knowing fully that my vertical days were over. I told the guy at the archery counter about the problem I have with scar tissue build-up in my right shoulder (I had surgery a few years back to decompress my right shoulder bursa and repair a perforated tendon), and asked him if he had an easy to draw and forgiving bow. Most compound bows break over harshly just where my shoulder tends to stick. This bow breaks over smoothly and is setup for 50lbs draw weight with 80% let-off. I won't qualify for P&Y, but at least I can draw and hold this thing. In fact, it just about shoots itself. The true test will be when it gets cold, and my shoulder stops cooperating.

If anyone is interested, Outdoor World is blowing out the '06 Diamond models. I got this one for $329.00.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

As was already said he should go to a pro shop and get measured up. At 6' 5' he will probably have quite a draw length ( my guess is 31.5 " plus . Their is also eye dominance that has to be checked . He may be right handed but could be left eye dominant or vice versa .
Boo

Post by Boo »

You are getting great advice. Not all compounds will feel good to everyone. One person will like the feel of one bow that feels wrong to another. Its a very personal thing. Your very lucky step-son should pick up and draw back lots of bows to find the right one. Often one manufacturer will have a large enough line to fit most. Martin and Hoyt are good examples but can get pretty stinking expensive especially for a first bow. Hoyt is cutting edge technology but way too much money for a first bow. Reflex is Hoyt's previous technology at a much more reasonable price and they have a pretty broad line. They use cam and a half technology that is on the previous years thousand dollar Hoyts. They are great bows at a great price. Make sure the bow has a large draw length range. As an person matures as an archer their draw length needs will almost for sure shorten. The most common mistake in choosing a bow is getting a bow with too long a draw length which limits the shooters abilities.
Good Luck!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Swede

Post by Swede »

I used to shoot Hoyt but now I shoot Bowtech. Shooting my Bowtech Allegiance is pure pleasure. :twisted: http://www.bowtecharchery.com/main.html
Boo

Post by Boo »

An after thought. Generally the longer the ATA and brace height the more forgiving and the smoother the learning curve. Arrow speeds of 300 ft/sec (ignore what I shoot) are not necessary. Amusing but for hunting a deflex bow with a 40" ATA spitting out arrows at 250 is going to be an awsome first bow.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
navaman

Post by navaman »

:D :D well, i just want to thank everyone for responding. i'm going to find an archery shop in fresno and just set him with a gift certificate. it is right to let the pros "fit" him for what feels comfortable to him. anyway, i'm headed out to the lake for a week-end of fishing with the young man before he goes back to california. again, i thank you all. :D