Entry Level Bushnell Rangefinders Any Good?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

For the price, you can't beat it.

That is what I have used the last 5 or 6 years.

I accidently left it in my stand one evening and we had a toad strangler of a rain that evening. I thought it would be ruined. I opened it up as much as I could and after it dried out it was fine.

I'm sure that there are higher priced and maybe better ones on the market now, but for me it is all I need.

YMMV.....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
kycooner

Post by kycooner »

bas pros got the camo bushnell 450 rite now for 149.99 cheapest place going
Frank Yates
Ky Cooner
06 Exomax aka RAMBOw
Lumi Zone Scope
Rangefinder Equiped
Custom Boo string
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa127/kycooner1/Rack_Attacker.jpg[/img]
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

Thanks for the replies. Of course since my local Canadain Tire doesn't have any in stock I had to order one. I know the more expensive ones will have more features but I just wanted to see if these are junk and clearly they aren't. TC
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

How far is the one in the canadian tire flyer good for? Deer with Bow probably fine, but is it good for moose or deer at 400 +/- yards
Bushnell yardagepro laser 4x rangefinder.
What its limit and accuracy?
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Just bought one! seems pretty good.

Reflective Objects => 5-800 Yards
Trees => 5-450 Yards
Deer or Flags => 5-200 Yards
Accuracy => +/- 1 Yard
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

What about moose across lake +/- 400 yards? It will work for my deer situations, but bigger black object farther away? I am pretty good judging distance to 200 yards by eye, but have been wrong shooting across water before, and by quite a bit. I would like to take some of the guess work out of these shots. Would it still work, but only be accurate to say +/- 25 yards for example as this is not so much of a concern with a 7mm magnum.
I know where my gun is up to 300 yards with a big comfort level, however after 300 I would attempt to gain yardage, or call in the moose depending on the situation. This model may be just below what I actually need? Your inputs are welcome!!!
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

thanks hi5
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

doesn't make much diference if a deer is 150 yards away-or 160 with a rifle -but it makes a heck of a diference if it is 60 yards away instead of 50 with a crossbow-and thats what I would be wanting one for
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Mooser

As long as the range finder will give a reading, the result will be plus or minus about 1 yard. I don't think it matters what brand, in that respect. They all use the same basic technology.

I tested my first Bushnell at our gun range to prove the accuracy to a skeptic friend of mine. Our club has target butts at measured 100 yard intervals from 100 yards to 500 yards.

He took a reading on the 500 yard butt and it read 501 yards, and to be a smart alex, my friend said "see, it's no darned good." I told him to step one step ahead so he would be taking a reading from beside the shooter's bench (to be even with where the shooting would take place), instead of behind the bench. Behold! It read 500 yards!

Dim light performance is important to me, and that's whay I spent the bigger $$ and bought the Leica. The difference in performance is HUGE.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hi5 wrote: Dim light performance is important to me, and that's whay I spent the bigger $$ and bought the Leica. The difference in performance is HUGE.
I usually do my "ranging" (trees and bushes) in the afternoon before a deer comes long.

That is usuualy in decent light.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

W.W.

That's the same as I do when hunting with a bow. However, I use my rangefinder in rifle season as well, and where I hunt big game, premeasuring like you describe won't work.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

My hunting buddy spent the big bucks and bought a Leica. I got his old Bushnell Yardage Pro for $60 and it works great! I haven't used it for anything over 100 yards, but mainly got it for Xbow hunting. It's all I need since I'd never take a shot over 200 yards. I don't like wounded animals and usually hunt with single shots so the first one has to count.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I have it too. I use it in hunting, it is precise up 80 yards. Some problem with the optic, not a good focus. But at the end this rangefinder does its work and it is cheap.

Regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I do not own a Bushnell rangefinder but know a few who do and they are satisfied with the quality. I have looked through them during daylight hours and the look good.

I own a Leica, the optics are great even in low light situations and bad weather. Since I only use the rangefinder where I hunt (around home) I know most of the distances by heart. I do use the Leica when verifying a distance on a long shot kill of a groundhog, 300 yards or further. Accuracy is plus/minus 1/2 yard out to 600 yards. Past that 1 yard accuracy.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Mighty Mooser, the unit that I have is good to about 150 yards . I varmit hunt with a .243 , my old Yardage pro would let me range on rocks or trees out to 300 /400 yards . My new unit the best I have done is about 150 . In my opinion it is a good unit for the money if you use it for bow hunting . Rifle hunting varmit or big game it may disappoint you .