Equinox/Vortex cocking effort

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Equinox/Vortex cocking effort

Post by Cossack »

Anyone compare the effort to pull the Equinox to the Vortex? The longer stock on the Equinox is giving my back fits, apparently from pulling that last two inches or so when the most resistance occurs. I like the higher velocity of the Equinox; the pain in the back next day, not so much.
gad

Post by gad »

Are you using the roping cocking aid? Or are you cocking it by hands.

In the second option, I am sure you will hurt yourself soon.

Better to use the hope cocking aind, you will not know any difference between those two xbows when using it to cock the bow.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

maybe look into a crankeroo
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm using a cocking aid and a crankaroo. The rope isn't bad until the last two inches or so. At that stage I really have to reef on it to get it cocked. The mechanical cocker is a pita to use; not to mention creaks and groans that make me wonder if it will break. (Rope lasted only 20 or so pulls before it broke. Yes, I am using it correctly.) Local shop does'nt have a Vortex in stock.
Just wanted to hear from personal experience if the Vortez's 25 lbs less pull weight and 1" shorted power stroke makes any noticeable difference in cocking effort.
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

cossack the only excals ive used are mine excocet 200 and my buddies phoenix and had no problems i only use a rope cocker he has both and only uses his crankeroo when were target shooting(bad shoulder)sounds like something else is going on hope some of the pros out there get back to you sorry i cant help
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Bush, did you notice much difference between cocking effort between the Exocet and Phoenix? (The Exocet is essentially the Vortex sans thumbhole stock).
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

not much that i can rember .we might be target shooting sat ill pay more attention and let you know
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Cossak.

is the cocking aid rope tight or loose when you put it on the Xbow? I shortened the cocking rope a couple of inches for my Exocet and I pull the string up a little to put the second hook on the string. I found that it made it easier to put the cocking aid on the bow and it shortens the pull a little when I am cocking the Xbow.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

im set up the same as bob no problems here
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

H H
I've shortened my string too. Found it easiest to leave the cocker on bow that way while 4 wheeling to stand. Thanks for reply.