silencers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

alf7555

silencers

Post by alf7555 »

Posted question on arrow weight and for got to ask about what to use to silence my Phoenix . Do I need to put some Sims button type on the limbs(or other brand ) ? Also , what type of string silencer ? One person has told me the wool "puff balls" are good to use .
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I tried the wool and didn't hold up.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Do a search on "noise", you'll be up all night long. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Boo

Post by Boo »

The most effective silencers that I have used that stay on are cat whiskers but only if served on. They are also cheap.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have used string mounted silencers and they do not seem to hold up . I have tried Limb Tunerz and they work quite well .

They are not mounted with adhesive so you can remove them with out marring the limb . You can also try different locations on the limb.

They will cause some speed loss .

Here is a link to what they look like :

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CSS-Bow-Tunerz- ... dZViewItem
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

Take a look at the website from Mathias-he has designed a string stop that appears to have lessened string noise by a significant amount,and he has the audio measurements to prove it.
Some guys on this site have developed their own variations,but I have not seen any data to support the end results.
Bob Vandrish.
diesel

Post by diesel »

The bow is fast enough. Buy ear plugs. :lol:
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

:lol:
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
Boo

Post by Boo »

I forgot to add that increasing arrow weight and using Dacron is pretty good too.
I mainly care about noise for myself. I own and work in an automotive shop and detest unnecessary loud noises when its not necessary. I fully understand that a wary deer is going to hear the most silenced of bows when shot at. I also understand that arrows make a gross amount of noise. I lessen noise for me not the deer. On the other hand a deer that is in the woods fifteen minutes away may not hear a "quiet" bow.
navaman

Post by navaman »

BOB VANDRISH wrote:Take a look at the website from Mathias-he has designed a string stop that appears to have lessened string noise by a significant amount,and he has the audio measurements to prove it.
Some guys on this site have developed their own variations,but I have not seen any data to support the end results.
hey bob, what is that website ?
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Boo

Post by Boo »

The first one is the forum and the second one is the article on the V-Bar
http://venatores.mastertopforum.net/index.php
http://www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.o ... Main0.html

The V-Bar is similar to the one on my Hoyt Vulcan. It is extremely effective in reducing noise and vibration in compound bows.
Last edited by Boo on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

i used the kit limb savers makes for crossbows and the noise didnt change but they decreased vibrations
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a dacron string and heavier than minimum weight arrows.
You aren't going to silence a crossbow to the point a deer isn't going to hear it, but if you shoot a lot you will soon get used to the noise & vibration you hear & feel.
I agree with Bill T's theory that "less is more". I don't even use dissipater bars on my Phoenix. I tried several methods of silencing the crossbow when I first got into shooting one, but soon discovered there is no magic solution to the noise (perception) problem. About every person I know who has archery experience with traditional or confound (some call them compound bows - but I'm an old longbow shooter :wink: :lol: ) first impression when shooting a crossbow is:
"MY GOD! - That thing is LOUD!!!!!"
They are loud, it's all in the design and you aren't going to silence on without changing all the properties that make them effective. The old: "wear earplugs" sounds like a smart** response, but there's wisdom behind it. Those who have tried to silence a crossbow, and that's probably the majority of crossbow hunters, have learned to get used to the noise and get close to the game we hunt.
There are several methods of silencing that help, but nothing will completely silence a crossbow. Just remember that most of us spend a lot of time arguing the fact that crossbows are archery! Archery hunting is using a short range weapon. Accept the fact that you are hunting game that will hear and react to the noise of a shot and get close enough to get the arrow through the animal before it can effectively change position. That's the fun of archery hunting for me! - to be able to get close to a wary prey in natural surroundings and then deliver an effective shot with a small pointy stick that will cause massive hemorrhage. Then the tracking skills are in for a test!
wabi
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

When I bought my Exocet 200 I was concerned about the noise. I tried the Limb Saver solid rubber string silencers (shaped like a "Z") but could not keep them attached to the string.

I ask about quieting the crossbow and was told by some members of this forum not to be concerned with the noise. They were correct. Out to 50 yards, a deer does not have the time to react to the noise.

I took two deer at 45 yards. Neither was able to react quick enough to have an effect on the shot.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
Boo

Post by Boo »

Couldn't have put it better Wabi,