200 yds?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Cool. A little "tube adjustment" isn't unknown in the world of professional gunsmithing ... and not-so-professional gun-cranking!

I like H&R and NEF single-shots. Don't currently have one, but I like them because of their utilitarian and affordable nature. And the single-shot break-action scattergun is quintessentially American ... did you ever look at a lot of old photographs of hunters? There were a lot of them around ... and lots of them are still around.

I saw one the other day with a 32" barrel ... and the only marking on it was Long Tom ... I've seen two others. Don't know any more about them.

I'm glad Marlin bought Harrington and Richardson ... may the old "Topper / Pardner" long endure! They're nearly indestructible, anyway. I'm sure you could stick one in a tree crotch and bend the tube ... wouldn't advise it, though! :D
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I cant hit a target at 200yards with my rifle LOL.. I bought mine to shoot up close and personal lol.. 20yards is all I worry about. Its nice to see if they will shoot that far. I will say that half the non xbow people will see a 200yard post and automatically assume you can kill deer that far.

goodluck on the distance shooting... ill leave those attempts to my rifles though LOL
But the farthest shot ive ever even attempted is 100yards for practice with my ML
Camper

Post by Camper »

How many times can you kill a dead horse!!! :lol:
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

jh45gun wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote: I will say that half the non xbow people will see a 200yard post and automatically assume you can kill deer that far.
Exactly Crazyfarmer that is all I was talking about. They may see 200 yards and not even open it and spread the rumor that they xbow folks are now talking about 200 yard hunting. some of you may poo poo that but I could see it happening only takes one to start a rumor.
I didnt want to add any fuel to the fire but its gonna happen... probably already has been mentioned on other forums LOL.. but its a free country. Even if someone sees where a person shoots 200yds at a target, they assume it will shoot 200 at a deer. Something kinda like this happened locally here last year. A friend supposedly shot a deer at 75yards(idiot to shoot that far anyway). But he killed it(spine shot).. now everyone heard about that and xbows here got a bad rap because they assume EVERYONE shoots 75-100yards at deer with them. Im expecting to see soemone say something to change the rules here and make them only legal during shotgun season now :roll:

xbows are so debated and no matter how harmless this post was, it only takes a little spark to fuel a huge fire...

I just hope everyone, non bow people have enough common sense to realize 99.9% of people only shoot 0-40yards eith theirs at the max when hunting
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Camper wrote:How many times can you kill a dead horse!!! :lol:
once but you can poke it forever as long as its still there in front of ya :lol: :P :D

btw, wasnt bashing the guy for trying to shoot 200 anyway.. more power to him

just trying to give a antixbow hunters POINT OF VIEW :lol:

maybe nexttime just start the post like...... target shooting 200yards 8)
rwk

Post by rwk »

Thanks, crazyframer people read into things when they see it in print. Like you said this gives folks the idea that your practicing to shoot that far when your going hunting. Crossbows get a bad rap now, think what would happen- xbow hunting at 200yrds. Rich
Camper

Post by Camper »

The :lol: means laughing as in joking around!

Way too serious for me!

Meant as a joke

But I should have put that in the title (couldn't help that one)

BTW CrazyFarmer, I liked you come-back about the horse :D

Camper
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I am going to call BS on the post made by Matthias72, that may work on someone who knows nothing about ballistics. However, I just ran this through a ballistics program and I get about 228 inches of drop at 200 yards, I know that sounds like a huge number, but bare with me.

I also know that this may be apples to oranges, but.......

At 1000 yards my .308 drops 360 inches, I can put these inches into the scope using the elevation turret and making the adjustments needed. Now if I can put 360 inches on the scope mounted on my rifle, why would I not be able to do the same thing with the scope mounted on my crossbow and put in 228 inches using the elevation turret. That is 132 inches LESS than what I do all the time with my 308. That is assuming of course that the scope on my crossbow has enough available elevation.

There is no way that the scope would have to be in the position indcated in the photo's.

And we are talking target shooting here, NOT hunting. I would not attempt a shot on deer at 200 yards with a crossbow just as I would not attempt a shoot at 1000 yards with my .308.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

The people you speak of are idiots and would try something like this regardless of what any of them read on a site like this, assuming they can even read.

huntin1
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

You are right, sighted in at 20 yards there is no way that you will come close to the target at 200 yards.

What I referred to is adding elevation to the scope, which simplified, you would basically be sighting in the crossbow scope at 200 yards and using the main crosshair.

Moving the scope itself is not normally required, this is a function of the internal adjustment of the scope.

Incidently, I added a 20MOA base to my 308 which does what mathias' picture indicates but much less noticable. In fact most people can't tell the difference. It gives me enough extra elevation to take the 308 to 1500 yards, although I have yet to try it.

Just so that you know that I know a little bit about what I am talking about. I have been an LE certified sniper for 10 years and have been to several LE sniper schools and several that deal with long range shooting.

huntin1
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

Yep you are right about the base making a difference, but I have never seen one that angled the scope to the degree indicated in those pictures. Also, with the Burris Signature rings you can do the same thing using different height inserts.

edited to add the following pics:

Here is a pic of my department issued rifle, the base is made by Ken Farrell and has 0MOA cant.

Now here is my rifle, Ken Farrell base with a 20MOA cant, can you see a big difference?

I realize the photo's are at a bit different angle, but you can get the idea.

Again, there is no way the scope would need to be canted forward at such an extreme angle.

huntin1
Last edited by huntin1 on Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

quote:I am going to call BS on the post made by Matthias72, that may work on someone who knows nothing about ballistics. However, I just ran this through a ballistics program and I get about 228 inches of drop at 200 yards, I know that sounds like a huge number, but bare with me.

That sounds wrong to me, more like the drop at 100 yds than 200. What weight and speed are you using? I know of one test done w/ Excal Emax and the drop at 100 yds was 25 feet. I don't know that weight or speed either.
"Eze 18:21"
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

awshucks wrote:quote:I am going to call BS on the post made by Matthias72, that may work on someone who knows nothing about ballistics. However, I just ran this through a ballistics program and I get about 228 inches of drop at 200 yards, I know that sounds like a huge number, but bare with me.

That sounds wrong to me, more like the drop at 100 yds than 200. What weight and speed are you using? I know of one test done w/ Excal Emax and the drop at 100 yds was 25 feet. I don't know that weight or speed either.
380 grains at 310fps

Well it could be wrong as the program is designed for bullets, not arrows. To be honest 228 inches didn't seem like enough, but I will still maintain that you will not have to do to the scope as indicated in the photo's posted.

bstout is correct, regardless of how the scope is setup, at 200 yards you are lobbing the arrow in and I don't believe there is going to be a whole lot of juice left.

huntin1
Bushwhacker

Post by Bushwhacker »

Maybe it's time to have a seperate branch for the target/long-distance-shooters. The Excalibur crossbows have proven themselves extraordinary instruments (hey, you antis: not 'weapons'!) for long distance competitive shooting. There are people who like this kind of sport (including myself), and all the discussions about range/scope-settings/etc. might as well go into another branch of the forum.

I don't want to take the 'we are family' aspect out of the forum, but if a discussion about long range shooting comes up and gets 'raped' by the antis, we could always point out that is was stolen from our "sportive forum". Matthias and Swede would/could be great contributors to that. That would take the heat out of the discussion.

You want to hunt ethically (which is, as I understand <=40 yards), you want to chat with people in the know? You got something on your heart you want to share with people you like? Go to the Hunting Forum.

You want to talk about championships, long range shooting? Go to the "any name-forum".

As it looks at the moment, by argueing among ourselves about the right to talk about long distance shooting we divide ourselves for the better of the antis.

This is not meant to seperate people, it's meant to seperate topics.

Sorry for the long rant

Greets from Berlin

Rudi
Excalibur Phoenix
Flemish Fast Flight
TruGlo Tru Brite 1.5-5x32mm Illuminated
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Tricks 100 Grain 1 1/8
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I disagree with the separation. We do not need another branch on the forum. We choose what posts we want to open or not. If someone wants to stir the pot, they will do just that. It doesn't matter if there was a seperation or not. I like seeing all topics in one spot but if there is something I don't care to look at I simply don't open it. I really try to steer clear of the controversial ones and I will admit I have been involved in a couple. But I think we have a great group of people and knowledge here and I wish to not have a bad reputation with anyone. I know respect was mentioned earlier and it is much easier lost than it is gained.
Why ride when you can walk!