200 yds?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lotusnight45

Post by lotusnight45 »

LOLOLOL Don't worry I plan on losing a few but thats the fun of it and the challenge ohh well it may become too expensive to shoot @ 200 yds hahaha. But it will be fun :wink:
huntman

Re: is freedom bs?

Post by huntman »

lotusnight45 wrote:Hey I was just wondering I love to shoot long distance and I will continue to do it no matter who it offends so my bs question is now your bs problem. I am not concerned with what anyone thinks about me and my practices and you shouldn't be either. I am not scared of anti's and I don't give a @#$& about being politicaly correct, in my oppinion to many people care what these pansy anti gun anti hunting anti xbow anti fredom morons think. I will stand in your face or anyone elses who trys to tell me what I do for recreation is not my right. If you think that long range xbow shooting is bs than you probably think that my barret 50bmg that shoots a 650grn bullet over three thousand yds very acurately is bs to. And anything that doesn't effect you is probably ok to get rid of well thats the kind of attitude that gives these antis a platform to stand on isn't it?
Stand up for your rights don't get on one of your brothers in the sport of xbow because he's not afraid to push the limits in TARGET PRACTICE
I will not fight with you on this because I know that we must stick together if we are to win this campaign against the anti's.

Listen the government and the anti's should be afraid of you, not the other way around.
VERY WELL said!! I dont think there is one person that should argue this!!
rwk

Post by rwk »

Boo. Thanks Rich
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Rich, I have little idea of what kind of attack you are under in New York as far as cross bows are concerned. I'd stick up for you too, if there was some way I could. I wish there was. You and Lotusnight45 are among friends here.

We stick up for each other here. When the need arises, my friend, that will include you.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

rwk wrote:Hi5-- No i do'nt think i'm to harsh, with all the folks that are againist xbows, i don't like it when some one gives them more fuel for there fire. Rich
Can it. If we needed more censors, I would personally pin a red star on your shirt.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hi5 wrote:Rich, I have little idea of what kind of attack you are under in New York as far as cross bows are concerned. I'd stick up for you too, if there was some way I could. I wish there was. You and Lotusnight45 are among friends here.

We stick up for each other here. When the need arises, my friend, that will include you.
Rich, when the poop hits the fan look to your right, you'll be eye ball to eye ball with me (assuming you are 5'3").
Some people just like stepping on rakes
widowman

Post by widowman »

I have shot several crossbows at distances over 80 yards. They are remarkably accurate at these distances. I would imagine that they could do well at even longer distances, including 200 yards.

Playing the wind most likely will be the biggest factor in achieving good groups.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Long shooting distance for target pratice only is very funny and interesting, it allows to increase a lot your shooting skill on shorter distances, but what is the limit of the distance? On my opinion the limit is when the error caused by wind, is so big, that it is bigger of your larger shooting error. On this ambient condition it is impossible grouping, or if you do a great group it is only a case. I think that 100/120 meters is the limit on normal wind condition for a crossbow. Of course, if you can shoot with zero wind then you can increase a lot this limit, but on this case you have to resolve the problem of the larger angle between optic and crossbow and if you resolve it, you must shoot with a very unconfortable position...
The crossbow is a crossbow, a rifle is a rifle...we have to understand the limits of this weapon, and, of course, on my opinion if you do with constance a 1"-4" groups at 100 meters that will do for sure a great satisfaction too because, I can asure you, it is not easy.

Regards
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Camper

Post by Camper »

That sounds great! That would be an absolute blast target shooting at 200 yards. Please let us know how it goes. I for one am interested

BTW there is nothing wrong with pushing a sport to it's limits.
What about marathons, are the 100 meter runners complaining because there are people that want to run a long distance marathon, I think not !!!
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Camper

Post by Camper »

Were all entitled to our own oppinions!

Camper
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

I agree complitely with bstout, a great target shooter could be a very bad hunter because hunting is not only "a shoot", you have many and many other things to do better the shoot is only a part. However on my life, I can't hunt every week, and I use 99% my crossbow in pratice. But, for my character, I ask myself more difficult and after a normal training at 20-30 meters I began to increase the distance...and I found at 100 meters the correct ratio between difficulty/wind influence on the performance.
For sure now I increased a lot my skill on hunting distances.

regards

Matthias
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
lotusnight45

Post by lotusnight45 »

I am a firm believer that perfect practice makes perfect, look at the bow industry, some of the most well known hunters and trophy takers practice at 100yds and beyond. I can tell you that even if your limit for hunting is 30yds and you stretch your practice twice that to 60 yds when you become proficient at that range 30 yds has become no challenge at all. If you don't see how this could help with hunting that is fine because I was talking about target practice not hunting. I beleive that a man should be proficient with his weapons and his hunting skills. To be proficient with your weapons you must use them and to be a good hunter you have to go hunting. So as for the hunting thing sorry if you are confused because that never entered this conversation in the beginning. I have my views you have yours and theres not a darn thing wrong with that.
Happy xbow shooting!
Camper

Post by Camper »

I don't know where the hunting thing came into this???

Your post is about long range shooting.

It's apples and oranges.

Camper
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Camper wrote:I don't know where the hunting thing came into this???

Your post is about long range shooting.

It's apples and oranges.

Hunting came into this when it became a thread, this is Excalibur's website and Excalibur's saying is "we're crossbow hunters who build crossbows". It is a very logical train of thought to associate the crossbow to hunting. Target shooting is vector off the main topic of crossbows, rest assured that 99.9% of people here hunt, so when a thread arises it is natural to assume there is a hint of hunting knowledge in each post.
I would be the last person to condemn or even try to condemn someone for what they shoot or how they shoot it, but a thread on long distance shooting on a board set up for "crossbow hunters" is bound to get a few eyebrows raised. It's nice to think that every crossbow hunter is ethical and well practiced but only the naive would think that there are not people out there with crossbows taking 100 + yard shots at animals every single day. Not saying that that what this is about but I am sure there are some people who could read into this thread from a very incorrect angle, it is all about semantics, to sum this thread up quickly it would be about the ability to achieve a long, accurate shot with a crossbow. One shouldn't have to differentiate each post by stating "for target shooting" we know better, but the world we live in seeks the dark side of everything, and this thread although educational and innocent can indisputably give a person the impression that a crossbow can be used for long range shooting. Only hunters or target shooters can be confident that the bow in their hands is being used for it's intended purpose, the rest of the world sees them as tools for killing and will never get their minds around that. It is up to us to present our sport in the most dignified way we can, but don't forget, even though we like to share parts of our personal lives here this is still a forum built by people who make hunting crossbows. I certainly don't think that someone who tries to voice that should be condemned the way some guys in here have been. It's hypocritical.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think if one wanted to ignore the bold letters then that person would be in a special place drooling in the corner and rocking back and forth in their seat.

otusnight45

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:44 am Post subject: 200 yds? Reply with quote
Has anyone shot out to 200yds with there crossbow? I was wondering if anybody had pushed the envelope that far.
STRICTLY TARGET SHOOTING!!!!
I would never hunt that far just wanted to know if its possible I have shot to 150 yds but thats as far as my range goes, and I know how important range estimation can be at that distance. If your off by 1-2 yds you can fall as much as 10-20 ft in front of the target well that has been my experience anyway. So if there are any extreme distance shooters I would love to hear from you and share experience and knowledge about long distance xbow.

.Image
Last edited by Boo on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes