200 yds?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Camper

Post by Camper »

Pydpiper,

he said "Strickley Target Shooting"
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I read it just fine, I wasn't saying anyone was saying something wrong, I was saying that it is hard to say a crossbow can not be used as a long range tool/weapon when the proof is right here, on a hunting forum.
To us, members of the forum this is a legit thread, but it's like having your cake and eating it too.
I am all in for long range shooting, it sounds like a ton of fun! But to an outsider who is repeatedly told crossbows are only short range tools this gives the wrong impression, unless you take the time to explain ballistics and energy to them, but it would be too late.
I am also not saying this thread has anything bad in it, but you have to admit that if were face to face with an anti you would have a hard time convincing them them a crossbow is only good for short ranges if they had just read this.
I am not anti anything, I say go for it and do it with everything you have..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Camper wrote:Pydpiper,

he said "Strictly Target Shooting"
My point is not what the arrow hits, it is whether the arrow has the ability to get there. Some dufus is sitting in front of his computer contemplating buying a crossbow to do long range hunting and comes across this thread, do you think he cares if someone specified that the words "target shooting only" are highlighted, no. He is going to simply see that the arrow can get there if he wants it to, and confirm his beliefs. Again, semantics.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Camper

Post by Camper »

Like lotusnight45 said, "Stricktley target shooting"

If someone is stupid enough to read the post and not see that
then I really don't give a $^&* what they think.

I understand your point Pydpiper and jh45gun , it is regrettable that people do take things out of context for there own gain however it should not stop anyone from asking a sensible question on this forum.
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I dont even know if my vixen would carry 200 yds. I guess I would have pick out a cloud and use it as a aim poin and let her fly.Next time I am at the club I will try the 100 meter targe but and see if Ican hit it with some old arrows. SHOULD BE FUN. I dont know why this practise should offend some people.
lotusnight45

Post by lotusnight45 »

Ok guys this has become an issue completly out of hand. It is a sad world we live in where a man has to walk on egg shells when he asks a question about anything. I understand where you all are comming from it is fine that you are all so polliticaly minded and correct in your way of life. It is also fine that you live with the fear that some idiot with a chip on there shoulder will eventually missconstrue your words for there cause. Well if you are worried about that than you should never say anything on the web because anything you say can be taken out of contexed and used for any purpose. So are you lawyers, politicians who carefully craft every word spoken so as not to give your opposition any ammo, or are you a free man who believes in his freedom of speech. I will not be posting anything more about my EVIL LONG DISTANCE TARGET PRACTICE
between the guys that are scared and the ones that are pissed I think Ive had enough. You can have this post and you can have your fear I'm DONE

Lotus
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

lotusnight45

You spoke out for the need to resist political correctness. You were right. We all need to have some backbone and stubborness in dealing with such.

Now, you should show some of the same stuff here, my friend. Don't let some criticism, even if undeserved, chase you away from the forum.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Lotus,
You actually started a very good thread. Congrats! It's been boring around here.

By the way . . .no one has condemned you for your long distance shooting. At least I haven't seen that. There's a long running debate on what's an ethical hunting range for a crossbow. You got stuck in the middle of it without knowing.

Keep us informed about the 200 yard target shooting. We are interested in the results.

Scott
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Where I live crossbows are not considered any different than any other weapon, it is just a normal part of archery season.
I find my range is limited to my scope, if it exceeds the 50 yard chevron I am lost as to where my arrow is going to land, tried once at 60 yards, that cost me an arrow. :D I get way too picky about my POI to make casual adjustments to my scope, that would cost me sleep.. The only way I could get into long distance shooting is if I had a bow dedicated to that purpose.
This is a great topic, like any other one that I have learned from it involves many different perspectives.
WMU 91
Boo string
BUSHDOG

Post by BUSHDOG »

damn pydpiper im glad were in ont 8)
excocet200
groundpounder mount
lumizone
muzzy mx4 100grains
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

lotusnight45,

Don't give up! I for one would like to hear of your target experience at 200 yards with a crossbow. I have yet to shoot mine past 50 yards and have not gone beyond 30 while hunting.

On a hunting forum I got into a "discussion" about long range rifle shooting at targets. I have taken my .308 to 1000 yards. I got alot of comments about how it is unethical to shoot a rifle at 1000 yards regardless of the target.

I think it is great fun shooting at targets that are a long ways out there. I have my own self imposed limits for hunting.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
widowman

Post by widowman »

The thread was started in reference to target shooting, I can't see how the thread got turned around.

Personally, I could care less what some smuck thinks about someone shooting long range with a crossbow.

I have had a ton of fun doing it up to around 100 yards, if I had the room I'd love to shoot 200.
Matthias72

Post by Matthias72 »

Gentlemen,
we are speaking without consider well that
to shoot with a crossbow beyond 150 meters it creates two principal difficults:

1. the optic angle: on this pic you can notice a hypothetical inclination for 200 yards: I done this image with photoshop: you must make a scope mount with a impressive inclination, but the axis of view passes through the crossbow! So you must to increase also the scope mount height.

As shown on this second image, if you increase the angle and the mount height, how can you shoot with your crossbow? The distance "H" is too large! If you watch inside the optic the crossbow stock is under your shoulder, so a very unconfortable position.
Hunting&Crossbow- www.cacciaebalestra.altervista.org -The first Italian crossbowyers site

Exomax&Exocet200
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50
Wolfszeit adjustable scope mount
Absorber V-BAR
Ultra-sensitive trigger
2219xx78-620grs-21% FOC
Nap Nitron
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ain't that from a H&R Topper, Bob?

And you couldn't get it to shoot point of aim at 25 yards with the adjustable sights? :shock:

Was it really bent in the first place? Or did you bend it to correct it?

I'm something of a gun crank myself, so such things always interest me!

I'd think the company would replace a component as out-of-spec as that!

My little brother perforates deer with an H&R Ultra-Slugger in Indiana ... it is very accurate, for a slug gun. The Ultra-Slugger is the one that uses a 10 gauge blank bored 12 ... I think you could easily club a deer to death if the slug failed to do the work! That thing is heavy.
Grizz
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

The entire concept is a non issue for me. I can't see 200 yards, let alone walk down there to check to see what I didn't hit. :D
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca