Stirrin up the pot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lotusnight45

Stirrin up the pot

Post by lotusnight45 »

So I decided to take my 200yd silenced urban sniper xbow to the range today. Oh Im sorry did I say that out loud crap. sorry guys I mean my 25 yd short range stick thrower. Ok now can we talk about something real like how do you guys like heavy arrows for game and what do you find works best as a good all around northamerican game arrow/broadhead combow. I have done some hunting with my xbow but I want to broaden the range of animals I will take with my xbow I just don't want to buy several different wieghts of arrows. Any thoughts? thanks
Lotus
Rich

Post by Rich »

My around choice is going to be:

GT II's, 2" Blazer vanes, brass inserts tipped with a 100 grain Wasp Boss 3 blade. If I were ever going after something bigger than deer, i.e. elk/moose I would shift to a 125 grain broadhead.

Rich
lotusnight45

Post by lotusnight45 »

thanks rich that helps alot, I hope more reply as well
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

When I first got my crossbow I knew nothing about them. I asked on this forum and was told that I could use the 2213 arrows that I had on hand. That is where I started and I have not seen the need to go heavier, IIRC mine are about 405-410 grains. I use 125 grain NAP Thunderheads and so far have had great success with this set-up. However, I think I would go with a heavier arrow if I planned on elk or moose hunting.

I think that the easiest way to increase weight without changing arrows is to use the 100 grain brass inserts. Friend of mine fooled around with putting a 2016 shaft inside a 2213 for increasing weight, it worked OK.

edited to add: I am using 5" AAE elite vanes and an aluminum insert in each end they are 20" long.

huntin1
Last edited by huntin1 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never corner something meaner than you"
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

I don't know about heavy, but here's what I use:

XX75 Autumn Orange, 17", Blazer vanes, NAP Nitron, 125gr. about 396grains or so.

Easton Carbon Power Bolt, 17", Blazer vanes, NAP Nitron, 125gr. about 410 grains.

I shoot a Vixen so I like these short, quick arrows. Also, I can carry four or so in my back pocket with a leather pocket liner I made so's as not to "poke" myself with sharp, pointy end :shock:

Joe
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Well, you could always check this thread you started yesterday.. :roll:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=18464
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string