Vixen enough?????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

joeyd50

Vixen enough?????????

Post by joeyd50 »

Ok guys I own a Vixen, I was wondering how many others owns Vixens and are they really enough bow for North American deer?
Thanks
Joe
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Hello joeyD50

Yes, to both your questions.

Regards
Joe
wabi

Post by wabi »

The Vixen is plenty for deer hunting. I started with one and it was fine, but I had to try something heavier. I went to an Exocet and it was great, but so much harder to cock that I didn't target practice as much. I finally ended up with a Phoenix (because the discontinued the camo Vixen) and it is a good compromise with a shorter cocking stroke but plenty of power.
If Excalibur still had the camo Vixen deluxe or the black Vixen I would probably own one.
wabi
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I bought one in February, so this season will be my first archery season. The Vixen puts arrows through my foam target, so I'm guessing a deer doesn't have a chance.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:D It worked for me, last Nov 4th I took a nice 200 lb. eight pointer in Ohio with my 150 lb, vixen. The mount should be ready soon.
Good Hunting to you.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

ontario record moose taken with carved tip vixen.I have taken a 335 lb bear with mine.shot placement is the key no matter what you use plus ETHICAL SHOTS.
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Using my Vixen for my August black bear hunt. Sure it will be plenty.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

is it enough?-as my father used to say''sure-if you hold it straight''
I went with an exomax-simply for a bit flatter trajectory,the cocking rope makes it viable in spite of the greater draw weight
marmot

Post by marmot »

Oh yeah! There used to be a picture of an Ontario bruiser that was shot with a black Vixen up on the Excalibur website a few years back (if my mind is not failing me, the lady who shot it is one of the owners of G & K Archery in Wallaceburg). That buck had to weigh over 300lbs. It was absolutely massive!

I would like to add that the first crossbow that I purchased was a Vixen Deluxe, which I foolishly sold to Striper. Excalibur had discontinued the Vixen deluxe in favor of the Phoenix by the time that I got around to trying to replace it. I prefer the old Vixen Deluxe to the Phoenix because it is much easier to string and shoot. I absolutely hate the deerhide brown Vixen. Besides being butt ugly, that color makes the crossbow look cheap!
Tell

Post by Tell »

When I asked my Fish & Game warden the same thing before I bought my Vixen, he told me that it was not a question of whether it was capable of killing big game including moose. But rather, that if I did not place the shot right the question would be whether the bolt would stop in this county or the next one.
Allan

Post by Allan »

In case you didn't get the direct responce you were looking for, the answer is YES.