Article

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Article

Post by sumner4991 »

Good crossbow article in this month's Field & Stream . . .you could almost say it's "Pro-Crossbow" . . .however, the author stops short of saying it should be legal in "archery season" because of the draw arguement. Personally, I have never had the drawing of the bow/string interfer with my taking of a deer. If your set-up is correct, the deer isn't likely to see you draw the bow anyway. No big deal, right? He does say the crossbow should be legal and to shoot one before you oppose one. Also, he agrees that they are a short range weapon.

The Exomax is shown . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

its about time!!!

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
JackJack

Post by JackJack »

Great news! I used to shoot compounds for years, but as my father got older he was struggling to pull back his bow. He decided it was time to try out a crossbow...we do everything together; therefore, I bought one too! I soon found out that once you go xbow you never go back!
Vortex 07
Greywolf Bolts
Boo String
SlickTricks
Go Hogs Go!
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Finally, something positive towards crossbows!
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

That "drawing" is all they can hang onto. Anyone who has bowhunted very long knows that is a non-starter..

Drawing/Shooting in the Presence of Game

The crossbow has a slight advantage in this area. The string is back in a firing position before game is approaching. How much of an advantage is debatable as several things come into play.

1) Being 20 to 25 foot up a tree when attempting to draw a compound bow will lessen a deer’s ability to see you.

2) Bows are usually 75 to 90 percent let off so one can draw on a deer much sooner and hold longer to make a killing shot with less worry about the deer seeing you. Mike Beatty drew and held on the new world record non-typical buck for a full 3 minutes before making the shot. That bow was a 85% let off. There is a bow on the market that is 99% let off where one can draw the bow as soon as game is spotted and they can wait for however long it takes for that animal to approach the shooting area.

3) A number of hunters that use ground blinds are using a blind called Double Bull, “Doghouse”, etc that allows one to draw and shoot through a curtain and never be seen by the animal.

4) Most bowhunters learn when and when not to draw on a deer. IE – when it’s head is behind a bush or tree or allowing the deer to walk past them and shoot them quartering away.

Both pieces of equipment have to be raised into a shooting position. Only the compound has to be drawn. That draw should be straight back and covered somewhat by the bow and bow quiver (if one is on the bow). That is unless the person drawing the bow seriously over-bowed and has to horse it back with great exaggerated movements..

Regardless of the perceived advantage of “not having to draw back a crossbow” the kill percentages are identical for compounds and crossbows. THAT is where the rubber meets the road.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

When you watch the TV shows you don't see that many spooked by the draw. Usually it's well before that point they sense you or something isn't right. While starting the process of drawing (standing up, moving around) they get to the point they see enough movement and it's over. But in reality it was over well before the draw process began. Makes for a great excuse to fool one's self. But as we all know if it's going to happen drawing isn't the deciding point in the process. You can get away with a lot on a deer that isn't already alerted by something. Same thing happens raising the xbow or moving into a shooting position. Movement is movement to a alert deer. He doesn't care what you're shooting.

Woody I got the numbers for VA last year and there was less than 1% difference in success rates of xbows vs other bows. And stick bows are in with compounds. I would dare say their success rates are less than compounds so if stick and compound together equaled xbows, compounds might have done slightly better. Still we're talking a percent or 2 at best. But if you've got to split hairs what better to go after? LOL
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I don't understand what is meant by draw, at least not what I thought it meant in conjunction with this thread. Will some explain it to me?
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

That's what I thought was meant by draw so I'm mixed up elsewhere. It's considered a bad thing to not have to draw or it's felt that should disqualify the xbow for hunting during archery?
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The author should have said the "crawl" instead of the draw . . .because last season I crawled 30 yards in an open field to get close enough to a nice doe so I could make a 20 yard shot while laying on my stomach. I guess I couldn't have done that with a compound. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

dont forget there are devices like the "drawloc" that attach to a compound bow that holds it at full draw untill you pull the trigger to release the arrow. does that sound familiar?
jay