OT: Mailbox Vandalism?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mighty Mooser

Post by Mighty Mooser »

Brings back memories, and funny stories. While I was in highschool my dad's mailbox kept getting smashed, I kind of figured it was someone at school doing it but had no concrete proof. One night I was at home windows open and watching tv in back room on Sat night. It looked like nobody was home, as I was a partyanimal and was usually gone, and so were my parents. Whoever was doing the damage knew we were usually gone on Sat nights. Thought I heard something, so I investigated quietly, and noticed a teenager trying to wrestle the mailbox from the post, while his buddy was in the getaway car 40 yards down the road. I went to the gun cabinet and got my dad's 22 ruger semi with 10 shot clip. came back to front door flipped on lights at end of driveway near mailbox and opened door. I fired 10 shots of the top of the road between the teenager and the car. The car started taking off and the teenager was screaming and I think he pissed himself, he scrambled into the ditch and ran like the wind and dove through the window of the car. I never mentioned it to anyone, but went to school Monday, and somehow it was going around school. I think the legend still exists at my old school since to this day my dad's mailbox has never once been hit and that was at least 18 years ago. all the neighbors have been hit regularly

I never would have hurt the guy for a mailbox, nor was there anything across the road, very rural area. My dad had welded up a good one, but never had to put it on after my little incident.
When you whack them you better stack them!!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've seen rubber mailboxes used around here. I think a "break-away" post would be cool with the rubber mailbox. That way the box could be hit, the post falls over and all that needs to be done is stand it back up.

I've also seen boxes that look like they have been hit a 100 times, the owner just straightens it up enough to hold the mail and slaps it back on the post. That box hasn't been hit in years, I guess the vandals believe it's been through enough or they just like hitting the pretty ones.

There has been a instance ot two of these concreted mail boxes causing deaths. A car avoids a deer/other auto/dog/cat, hits a concrete mailbox and the impact kills the driver/passengers. I don't think you would like that situation, espedcially if the driver is a friend that lives down the road and not someone that hit your mailbox with a bat.

As teens, we used to flip soda bottles at groundhogs as we drove down the road at 60 miles pre hour. . .killed a few too. Never did the bat to the mailbox thing.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen