Phoenix sighted in.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mike41

Phoenix sighted in.

Post by mike41 »

Went up to cabin yesterday and had my uncle put my Phoenix together.

Then the fun began, I got it lined up at 10yds. and then backed off to 20yds. to fine tune it. after maybe 4/5 shots it was right on, then backed up to 30 yds. 1st shot dead center. (BTW I'm using a 3xProView TenPoint scope) we must have shot it for close to a hour. The Phoenix is every thing that I have read about on here. I was shooting groups at 30yds. that I have never done before, and at 20yds. I now know why you don't shoot the same bulls eye, I believe even I might pull a Robin Hood "well maybe not, but too close for comfort" trigger pull is smooth as silk, bow very well balance, over all just a real pleasure to shoot.

The only problem I had was trying to cock it, I got the crankeroo with the bow, but being a quad I just don't have the grip in my hands or the arm strenth. I could cock it about 3/4 the way and then I would run out of gas. I had to modifie my last cocking device, so we have a few ideas that we are going to try.

Anyway I got my Excalibur and so far I am very impressed and pleased with it. "besides it only takes 1 shot"

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
Broadhead

Post by Broadhead »

Mike41,
Congrats on the Phoenix! Mine is now the "Go to Weapon of choice"...
Hope you get the crankeroo dialed in.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Mike,

Congratulations on the Phoenix. These Excalibur crossbows are something else and they stand behind them like no other company.
As far as cocking it there are a few on the forum, Digger comes to mind, that have installed Tenpoints Accudraw on the stock of their Excalibur crossbows with great sucess. I know Dan Miller has installed them in the past. You might want to call Dan and pick his brain. You can reach him at 740-483-2312.

Enjoy your new Xbow.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

hey mike 41, congradulations on your new phoenix, we are neighbors i live in topeka, still shooting the barnett , maby some day. i picked up a new phoenix at cabelas couple weeks ago they are nice, forsure. anyway enjoy shooting it is a fun thing to do.

have a nice day hatchet jack
they say he is still up there.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Mike41 Have you considered having an accudraw installed onto your Phoenix?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a Phoenix with a TenPoint ProView scope, too. Have mine sighted with the dots on at 15-25-35 yards and it's very accurate.
Been experimenting with some shooting at 45 yards by placing the bottom dot (35 yard) on the target, then make a mental note of where the middle dot (25 yard) is on the target. Aim where the 25 yard dot was with the 35 yard dot and you will be very close. :wink:
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Mike

The Excal has a longer pull compared to a compound requiring the arms to be in a bendt position just when the greatest effort is required to get it done. I found pulling a lot easier when I shortened the coker rope so I actually had to pull up on the string several inches to get the second hook on. Works for me.
mike41

Phoenix sighted in.

Post by mike41 »

wabi,

Thanks for the tip, I will have to give that a try the next time we go shooting.

Cossack,

Sounds like your talking about the rope cocker, I'm in a wheelchair so naturally I am setting down when I cock it. If I misunderstood you please explain it to me, I need all the help I can get.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

I also shortened the rope as Cossack, to cock my Exocet 200, as I have short arms.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Mike ...

If I'm not mistaken, and I don't think I am, there are cocking aids out there that allow you to use a cordless drill with a socket to do the cranking ... others here will know which one does, I'm sure. If I'm just nuts, and there is no such thing, there certainly should be. Easy to engineer and invaluable to someone like you.

Post again and ask folks what's available.
Grizz
mike41

Phoenix sighted in.

Post by mike41 »

Grizz,

When I was talking with TenPoint they said their AcuDraw would except a power drill.

Mike41:
Good Hunting - Be Safe.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Mike,

The following thread shows an Acudraw mounted on an Excalibur. PM Digger when you get a chance, he is a wealth of information and has been helpful to me.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ht=acudraw

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire