If you could share one tip to be more accurate, it woulde be

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

OK . . .trigger pull vs. trigger jerk. We discussed this before at some point. I like knowing exactly when my bolt is leaving the bow. Therefore, I pull the trigger. Squeezing the trigger gives me way too much time to think about missing. I want my cross on the target and the bolt on it's way at the same time. The best way for me to describe the difference between a pull and a jerk . . .if you jerk, you use some part of your arm or hand to pull the trigger, not just the finger. Pull with the finger. . .pull as hard and as fast as you want, it will still be a clean release as long as you only use the finger.

Now for the 100 yard or 200 yard or whatever shot . . .I think what jh45gun is getting at is whether an Excalibur can be set up to shoot a 20 yard target and then shoot a 100 or 200 yard target without making major adjustments. I know guys that adjust the scope ring, however, I don't know the limits. I think you can go from 20 yards to 70 yards by simply knowing how to adjust the scope ring . . .someone with more knowledge might be brave enough to jump in . . .never tried it myself.

Back to the trigger pull vs. trigger jerk . . .if you want to know if you can pull the trigger without jerking it. Try some speed shooting. See how quickly you can shoot 5 shots and still have 2 inch groups from 30 yards. It's my favorite type of practice. Plus, it's a whloe lot closer to the type of rushed shooting you do when the buck you've been waiting for enters your crosshairs.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Jim C

Post by Jim C »

Alright kids here goes. BTW having experimented with setting up various excaliburs for both the WCSA 65M field events and the WCSA 55 M sport events i can tell you getting an excalibur to have a sight span for both 20 yards and 100 yards is not possible from what I have seen short of having some sort of pivoting sight mount. Even using a sureloc olympic sight on the front of the bow like I have (If you still have the article I wrote in Crossbow connection 4 years ago you can see the pictures) is going to be tough without some really creative increases in the rear sight height involving an AUSBOW moveable cheekpiece.

1) matched arrows are crucial. I want my arrows within 1 grain

2) Straight arrows are equally crucial. On competition arrows I shoot for 1/1000 of an inch on a Arizona arrow straightener. For hunting arrows 3/1000

3) Follow through is very important in a crossbow-even more so than on a HP rifle where your target rounds are exiting at 2400-2800 FPS, the xbow is often 1/9th as fast meaning you have to continue the FT 9 times as long if you do want to bugger up the shot

However, for the average hunter as opposed to national class TNC target archer or someone shooting known diistances, you will get the most benefit out of KNOWING what the DISTANCE is

More shots are missed IMHO due to ERRORS OF RANGE as opposed to errors of shooting ability. If you have two hours to practice per day spending it with a range finder practicing distance judging will serve you better than trying to say shoot a 300/300 NFAA indoor score. Hunters can do lots of things us competition shooters cannot do-like use some sort of rests-a knee for example, leaning against the tree to steady your shot. We cannot even use a heavy jacket or boots.

When I set up a stand I always laser the available land marks and constantly mentally rehearse the various distances while I am on the stand.

Knowing the distance and being a "mediocre" shot is going to be more successful for a hunter than being a 575/600 NAA indoor archer who has a hard time telling the difference between 33M and 25M
TNC and ACF Member
NFAA and NAA Certified Coach
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Everyone has great points I just want to add after all is said and done and your ready for the shot, I will instruct anyone with a crossbow to be patient, wait for the right shot. With the crossbow you have the luxury to be able to hold longer on your target and pic the shot that is 99.9% kill shot on just about all deer if you have done your homework and followed all the advice given above.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I have to agree with everybody who mentioned follow through. For me whenever I make a bad shot, it can almost always be blamed on not following through. Now, whenever I see a deer approaching and I decide I am going to take a shot if/when it presents itself, I start repeating to myself in my mind, "REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THROUGH".
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

One other thing that bstout touched on . . .practice shooting at small targets. I put a 1" dot on my Block target with a magic marker. Works real well and I can shoot up to ten different dots before I had to retrieve my bolts. If you are using a scope, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to peg those 1" dots . . .well, unless you are not doing all the other things mentioned in this thread . . . :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen