Crossbow Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jaybird

Crossbow Targets

Post by jaybird »

What targets are you using that will stop a Exomax?I have a Blackhole foam target and my bolts blow completly through the target with field points.
Normous

Post by Normous »

The Block stops bolts out of the Max using field points or broadheads.

Norm
Last edited by Normous on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
thebrtsdad

Post by thebrtsdad »

McKinzee layered block target works well with my max.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Best I've found (for field points) is the Morrell's #1 Archery Target. Stops bolts from Equinox with about 10" penetration and pull out with two fingers hold. Best of all $25, at the local WalMart. Big Block works for broadheads but costs about 4 x as much.
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

I was shooting the target I had fine with a Tenpoint (313fps). Then I got the new Desert Stryker. It was going through a pretty new layered one from Bass Pro and then on through my back stop target, another 12" or so and sticking out the back 2-3 inches. I had both targets stacked together. No problem I'll just go back to 30 yds. It only went in up to the nock. No way to shoot it at what I had. Got a Morrell bag target for xbows and not it only goes in a few inches and pulls out easily. Now I need a broadhead target.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

been using the block 4x4 crossbow target here.. works fine but with any target if you keep shooting the same spot its gonna give out sooner or later
Esox

Post by Esox »

The Block stops my Exomax arrows, BUT I noticed that after all this time the arrows are penetrating deeper in the center spot and it feels like it's getting a little soft in the center spot so if you go this route make sure to vary your point of aim... It'll last longer.... Same for broadheads...
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I jsut picked up a Morrell Yellow Jacket at BP for $50.00. It's a big target and it stops the bolts from my Exocet 200 no problem. The only drawback is that my Muzzy 100's are a little hard to pull out. Other styles with a more swept back profile were no problem. As for longevity, time will tell. TC
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

trky chsr wrote:I jsut picked up a Morrell Yellow Jacket at BP for $50.00. It's a big target and it stops the bolts from my Exocet 200 no problem. The only drawback is that my Muzzy 100's are a little hard to pull out. Other styles with a more swept back profile were no problem. As for longevity, time will tell. TC
My son & I have used the Morrell Yellow Jacket for the past two years and probably will be good for 1 or 2 more years. I shoot Xbow and my son, a compound bow. The YJ stops my bolts from the Exocet 200 with about 10 inch penetration. Some spots on the target are getting a little wore but I use 2" flourescent orange stick-on target dots to vary point of impact.

I use 85gr Thunderheads on a Wolverine bolt, weight is 415 grains. The Exocet 200 shoots these @ 320 fps. Extracting the Thunderheads from the YJ target can be a little difficult but with a slight twist I can extract them. I have lost one broadhead in this target.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I finally decided to replace my beat-up Block. I was at Bass Pro Sunday and couldn't resist the Mckenzie Shotblocker, the big orange one. It works really well for stopping the bolts from my Exomax. A bit cheaper than The Block and much lighter. Actually, it's too light . . .the bolts move the target around. I'll have to set a rock on top. It will take field points and broadheads . ..however, I found out with The Block, those broadheads will chew up a target fast.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

last time i went to bass pro i was looking at all the differnt targets and see that there are around 4-5 differnt Block targets varying in price does anyon know the differneces i asked the guy there and he was clueless and went back to talking to his friend which sorta pissed me off
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Best target ever! A tad expensive; but worth the money in my opinion.

Bass Pro Website wrote:Friction-layer design outperforms traditional targets! Rather than ''absorbing'' the impact -which deteriorates the target relatively quickly -The Block's hundreds of compressed Friction Foam™ layers ''grab'' the arrow shaft as it slides between them. In independent testing, this process consistently stopped even super-fast, high-velocity carbon arrows with no pass-thru; allowed easy, one-hand removal every time; and lasted much longer than conventional 3-D targets. Crossbow model is 18''H x 18''W x 14''D and weighs 21 lbs.
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

I have two targets that I use. The original is a foam lite. It is a good target but flips over when hit. To get a group I have to hold it down with weights and blocks. I purchased a yellow jacket crossbow broad head target. It is supposed to be very good according to Bass Pro in Toronto, a lot better than the layered foam ones With target tips at 40 yards the arrows are not too far from starting to come out the other side. When I was deciding which overpriced target to buy another man said he would get the high density foam insulation used in construction and make a block to be in front of his regular target. He said it takes the initial slam out of the force, arrows don't go in as far thus less damage to his expensive target. Mine are alright but not ideal.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rage_A_Holic wrote:Best target ever! A tad expensive; but worth the money in my opinion.

Bass Pro Website wrote:Friction-layer design outperforms traditional targets! Rather than ''absorbing'' the impact -which deteriorates the target relatively quickly -The Block's hundreds of compressed Friction Foam™ layers ''grab'' the arrow shaft as it slides between them. In independent testing, this process consistently stopped even super-fast, high-velocity carbon arrows with no pass-thru; allowed easy, one-hand removal every time; and lasted much longer than conventional 3-D targets. Crossbow model is 18''H x 18''W x 14''D and weighs 21 lbs.
agree 100%! I bought mine last year and after about 150shots in the center its working fine still.. the bolts are starting to go to the fletching now though, but I have 3 other holes to shoot at.. I figure this one will last me 4-5 years while the other cheap ones wont last one season with the way I shoot. If their is a lesson to be learned with targets its... spend more and get a better target! Or spend less and buy a new one every year :D

mine was about 55bucks when I got it(free shipping also lol)

also, this target doesnt move a inch when taking a hit, even from 10 yards