URBAN DEER INVASION

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ratherbefishin

URBAN DEER INVASION

Post by ratherbefishin »

My son's girlfriend hit and killed a deer right in town yesterday-I grew up here and we are seeing deer not only live but proliferate where they never did before.The police said there were 700 deer-vehicle collisions right in one municipality last year.I wonder what the annual cost is both to the taxpayers as well as individuals and insurance companies?

Everybody would scream their heads off if you proposed doing anything at all-but the fact is-the problem isn't going away-and its getting worse,as the density is far higher in urban areas than their normal natural habitat due to the gardens and shrubbery
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Where is this now? I have a ground blind I can setup at a busy intersection and take care of the problem with my Equinox! just kidding.
I am curious where this prolific problem is.
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Mpls area records some 40 hits per day, more during the rut and spring. At an average cost of $2,000 per hit that's a lot of $. Finally allowed archery hunts in some locations last year. Otherwise only sharpshooters with rifles or nothing. What a waste of hunting resoucres. Believe it or not there was a proposal from tree huggers to temprarilly sterialize does....for @$600 ea.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

We have urban season with bow or crossbow in the town I live in. They are out of control here.

LOL To get an urban permit you have to demonstrate proficiency. They want you to hit a paper plate with three arrows at 20 yards. What a hoot! I told them to draw a 1" circle on the plate.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

there is rumors going around that someone has been releasing cougars in the area to keep the deer population down. and the number of cougar sightings has gone up drastically.
Team Dryfire
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

well the funny thing is-the deer populations are out of control,vehicle -deer collisions are increasing at an alarming rate-yet the authorities are so paranoid about ''doing something''they do nothing.Where are the so called animal rights people?-is allowing deer populations to get out of control until disease kills off the lot of them more acceptable than being proactive and allowing archery seasons in urban areas?
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

We have some that routinely help themselves to my tomatoes growing on the fence. I planted them 20 yards from my back door this year. No law against using archery equipment to shoot them.
Esox

Post by Esox »

I'm going to market a blind that looks exactly like a bus stop... Of course, decoy people in three piece suits and briefcases will be optional.... :lol:
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I well realise you can't have people shooting deer on city lots-but where there are small acreages ,bowhunters should be able to harvest deer safely.The trouble isn't the bowhunters,its the so called ''animal rights'' wacko freaks who scream to high heaven about shooting ''cute little bambi's''-but they aren't the people who have to dispatch deer with a broken leg,or watch fawns starve to death because the doe was killed by a car.There's just too many people with too much time on their hands ''protesting'' everything,and nobody has the guts to tell them to get real.
navaman

Post by navaman »

DrDan wrote:We have urban season with bow or crossbow in the town I live in. They are out of control here.

LOL To get an urban permit you have to demonstrate proficiency. They want you to hit a paper plate with three arrows at 20 yards. What a hoot! I told them to draw a 1" circle on the plate.
a couple of years ago "outdoor life" did a story on a group of vertical bowhunters that were paid by people of different sub-divisions in the north east to rid their communities of all the deer. or at least thin them out. it was a pretty good story. imigine getting paid to to do what we all love so much ! :shock:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."