tested some different offsets(pics)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

tested some different offsets(pics)

Post by crazyfarmer »

well, this isnt a professional type testing.. just real world shooting for the average person wanting to see if it makes any difference what so ever in flight. I do most of my testing at 30 yards since thats my max shot and probably best all around testing range since 20yards doesnt show much room for error. Im using a blitz jig with the straight clamp which has a dail o fletch setting so you can put different angles on the bolt. Those that have it will know what I mean.

Testing Data

30yards
GT2 20inch custom made bolts - cowwackers, moo moo eaters, and zebra killers lol (381grains)
blazer 2inch vanes
each bolt with a slightly greater degree offset

top left: Fletched straight down the shaft
top right: slight offset to the right
bottom left: little greater right angle offset
middle: greatest right offset

Each fletching I only moved the offset about 1degree.

as you can tell, its no major difference at all with field tips. I shot 3 shots each and all hit within .5 inches of each other in the groups. I shot from a steady rest but still wind drift and shooter error could still factor in a little.

Bottom line, any fletching will work in real world hunting. I was worried that one little degree in offset would make the bolts fly better or worse. The all flew about the same. None had differences of over .5 inches out to 30 yards

hope this helps some that are worried about different offsets :lol: [/img]
Last edited by crazyfarmer on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikew

great pics, thanks

Post by mikew »

Thanks for posting that!

Yes, it was informative.

:D

-Mike
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

welcome.. im not a robin hood so as long as I can get them in that black circle im happy with any bolt. But trying to play with offsets probably only helps if you want to hit ants at 75 yards :lol:

I do believe a little offset helps with bheads though. I havent tested that mainly cause I hate shooting my target to death :lol:

this is mainly for those that have a job and wonder if one slight movement to the right in the vane setting makes a difference
XbowMisiu

Post by XbowMisiu »

Thanks Crazyfarmer! I always wondered how offset affects the bolt. I guess it does not make too much difference. Nice shooting. Too bad I don’t have so much room in my backyard :cry:
Darz Bór!
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

Great job CF, great info!!! :!:
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

come on farmer....you cant do any better than that!!!ImageImageyou are at least a 1/4" off target. practice, practice, practice

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

flbuckmaster wrote:come on farmer....you cant do any better than that!!!ImageImageyou are at least a 1/4" off target. practice, practice, practice

jay
The bolts were hitting bugs going through the air and the earth rotated a bit during mid flight :lol: :P
hahahaha

I just took a pic during the last set of shots.. most were dead center but didnt have the camera handy. I coulda took them out and shoved them in the center though :lol: :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Nice shooting CF . . .I like those bolts even better now! May have to make myself some cowwackers. That's a good looking string too!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:Nice shooting CF . . .I like those bolts even better now! May have to make myself some cowwackers. That's a good looking string too!
I sell them for 99.99 each if you are interested.. they come with 10 pounds of burger also LMAO

it means alot to fletch and make your own bolts and to see them fly well! Thats one of Boo's strings also.. Im waiting on the fast flemish ones he's making for me. I was greatly impressed by this string so im sold on his now
Normous

Post by Normous »

Great shooting CF.
eNORMous is impressed :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Sierra

Post by Sierra »

Thanks, CF, for the post.
2006 Exocet 200
3x ProView Scope
85 grain NAP Thunderhead
Wolverine Hunter 20" CrossBolts
Original Stock String
Bolt Speed 320 fps
wabi

Post by wabi »

The only time I've experienced fletching degree making a difference was with SlickTricks. With 4° fletch they grouped well, but not with field points. With an 8° fletch they group right with field points out of my bow.
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

Great test, I wondered the same thing. My jig is set at zero degrees. That is a cool looking string by Boo.

Rich
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I would feel a lot warmer and fuzzier if I was looking at data where the comparison had both fixed and mechanical broadheads.
I think,and /or feel that degree of offset,and length and type of vane will all influence accuracy,as will FOC,as compared to field points.
Get out the old feed bag filled with poly bags,and try a few!
I am just about ready to start my own little series of tests with small weights added inside the front insert,and I will compare fixed and mechanical at various weights.
I will be using the 2" NAP,and will do some work with 4" and 5" feathers and vanes to see what works best for me.
All of mine will be set at 4 degrees.
I have both 2216 and 2219 aluminum,and may try a few carbons as a comparison.
Bob Vandrish.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

nice shooting, tests are always fun.