Using the AZ Jig with bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Using the AZ Jig with bolts

Post by Cossack »

Started using the EZ, practicing on some old nocked shafts that needed re fletching. Am running into a problem keeping the shaft steady in the jig. I've indexed the jig so the nock is right with the cock vane. However, because the half moon knock is so shallow it sits ON the partition that is normally straddled by the deep nock of an arrow, which in turn holds the arrow steady while the jig is being closed. Crossbow bolts sit rather loosly in the jig, and can wobble one way or another while it is being closed. This isn't conducive to precise vane application.
And, while these are nocked, it would seem that the same problem will occur with flat nocks.

Are there any tricks/gizmos that can be used to keep the bolt steady while closing the jig?
GaryL

Re: Using the AZ Jig with bolts

Post by GaryL »

Cossack wrote:Started using the EZ, practicing on some old nocked shafts that needed re fletching. Am running into a problem keeping the shaft steady in the jig. I've indexed the jig so the nock is right with the cock vane. However, because the half moon knock is so shallow it sits ON the partition that is normally straddled by the deep nock of an arrow, which in turn holds the arrow steady while the jig is being closed. Crossbow bolts sit rather loosly in the jig, and can wobble one way or another while it is being closed. This isn't conducive to precise vane application.
And, while these are nocked, it would seem that the same problem will occur with flat nocks.

Are there any tricks/gizmos that can be used to keep the bolt steady while closing the jig?
Have neve had a problem with that (moon nocks) as they all seem to set ok as when the arms are closed they center them selfs. The same with a flat nock. I have done many hundreds over the years and have never had a problem with any not being equal for spacing or linning up proper.

However if one was to use a line up tool of some sort (cock feather being lined up exactally with the half moon) you might see a very small change between bolts. I do not think the slight difference if any would be enough to change bolt flight.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
mikew

Watch GaryL's videos

Post by mikew »

While I don't own the E-Z Fletch YET, I watched Gary's VERY informative videos on flwtching a bolt with the jig and it didn't look like any tricks were necessary.

Here's his post:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=16628

Incidentally, video clip #3 is a definite MUST see. :lol:

Seriously, they were well done. (And it was neat to put a face to a name, especially since I bought his Exomag a while back).

Now, if I can just get the thing cocked to shoot it, I'd be in business. :shock:
I'm about *this* close to getting it cocked....may have to resort to a crankaroo.

Anyway - watch his videos.

Good luck,
-Mike