My swamping toy. (Argo)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LoneWolf

My swamping toy. (Argo)

Post by LoneWolf »

After not being able to get to some places on my property with my 4X4 ATV for the past 4 years due to the beavers flooding the power and gas lines, I've come to my senses and decided to buy an Argo to get into them places. Not to mention that these are the ultimate machines for moose country. Although my ATV will still be staying with me.

There's a bit of sun exposure in the pics so it appears to be lighter than what it is. It is actually olive/army green.

Bring on the swamps/ponds, cause I'm ready for them now! ... If the ATV won't go, the Argo will!

Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Thats sweet LoneWolf!!

You should have no trouble with that...

Have Fun ! :D :wink:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

That's what I'm talking about!
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Nice toy Mike,

Brings back old memories.

Have fun with that machine but remember and I say this from past experience, "When your stuck with an Argo, your REALLY stuck" :lol:

Claude

Life is too short to spend it indoors!
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Good choice of toys. My brother had one for quite a few years. With the track and snow blade it was the real machine. You are right when your stuck you are stuck. It takes one awful good atv to pry them loose. Good luck on your hunts.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I hear ya!.. it's not like gettin an ATV unstuck... I have a good winch on her, but a winch is useless when the trees are far away... lol

Gotta use common sense for sure.
Last edited by LoneWolf on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Many years ago I owned one.

No doubt many improvements have been made since then. I sure hope so. Mine was a constant source of repair. That's aggravating when you get home, for sure.

The thing is, you need two of them. One to take you where you break down, and one to rescue you. It'll take you places you could not get out of on foot. When they are working, what they will go through is impressive as heck.

The problem is if you break down.....Always carry a cell phone or satellite phone for an emergency if you have REALLY bad stuff in which you will travel. Either that or carry enough food and clothes that you can hold out till freeze up, and then walk out!!!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

You gotta keep them well maintained, and they're pretty easy machines to keep maintained.

They have changed a few things since the earlier years I'm sure. Double chains/sprockets now and bearings instead of bushings are a couple of things that has been changed.

Like I said earlier, I want to be able to get back into some of my hunting spots I haven't been able to get into for a few years, and this is the only thing that will get me in and outta there... I don't plan on going on cross country excursions with it... :wink:

Nice outfit, Claude...

What year?
Ontario Trophy Bucks
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

nice,whats even better they are built in NEW HAMBURG.a couple of years ago a friend bought one ,and never used it ,somebody got a good deal on it when he sold it. I see SHOCKEY uses them in the YUKON.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That looks like way too much fun! Enjoy!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

My Argo was many moons ago Mike. Year was probably late 1980's if I can remember and had the Kohler engine and hydraulic brakes. First thing I did when I got her was to replace all drive chains which were banging on the plastic when torquing the engine. What a back breaking job that was :lol: The tensioners were not enough to pick up the slack or the drive gear was too powerful.

I've since gone through a Suzuki King Quad, a Kawasaki Bayou and currently a 660 Yamaha Grizzly, hence my forum name.

Now looking at getting another one for my new hunt camp or perhaps you can join me ? LOL

Claude
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

This one has a Kawasaki liquid cooled 620 cc (20 HP). I may have to replace a couple of chains myself, as there are a couple that are banging on the floor boards. Like you said, the tensioners just aren't cutting it. But it's mostly when I steer to turn right, and when torking but only on the driver's side.

As for joining you, you know where to find me if you want to duscuss it further... lol ... I could use a partner to hunt my property/swamp as well. :wink
Ontario Trophy Bucks
huntman

Post by huntman »

THERE IS NO STOPPING YOU NOW LW :!: :!: Congrats
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I have a 2006 Argo BigFoot which is a 6 WD rig. I love it! Being a wheelchair person, it takes me places I haven't been for years. I also have a '74 Attex which I have been rebuilding for the past two years. A big chore was fixing holes in the body that were caused by chain slap. Better get new tensioners and get that slap out of your drive chains.

One nice thing about Argo's is that you don't get all muddy. You are sitting inside it and the mud stays out. The other nice thing is that water is not an obstacle. I leave the 4 wheelers behind all the time in the woods behing my home.

When I first bought it, I put a 300# Ramsey winch on it. Other than for pulling logs out of trails, I have never had to use it to get unstuck. I've gone over 18" logs in trails and it just climbs over. Incredible machine!

I also have enough space behind the front seat to put a deer or bear. It's a hell of a mess to clean out the blood if you let it dry like I did "once".

The Attex has a two cylinder Rockwell JLO 2 cycle engine that carnks out about 40HP. It will be neat when I get it done. Man they will throw the mud!

It looks like your machine needs Goodyear Rawhide tires. They have lots more agressive tread than those tires that you have on it. Also you want to turn them around for better paddling action in water. Only time I ever got hung up was when I broke through some ice on a pnd last winter. I thought the ice was only an inch or so thick and planned to just crash on through. Well I broke the ice out about 15 feet and then hit thicker ice that wouldn't break. Sice I was floating in water I didn't have enough get-go to jump up on edge of thicker ice and it closed in around behind me. I called my girlfriend on cell phone to get me some rope to hook winch cable on and in the meantime I was freezing my butt off and tried a few things. I leaned way out on each side and rocked the boat while putting drive on the down side. Eventually I backed up about a foot and was able to back the rest of the way out. If you ever get stuck that's the way to get free. Just keep putting drive to alternate sides and it generally will get out. Never been hung up on underside even going over big logs. Theres enough wheels under it to get a bite and take you up and over. Great machines! Have fun....

My Argo Bigfoot _ High and Dry

An Attex Chief 400 like I am Building

An Attex Throwing a Little Mud !!!

Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

Dr Dan,

The tires are on the right way to get better paddling action. If I put them on the other way they will be on the machine backwards. (check your machine's and the Attex's tires)... I would love to be able to install the 25" Rawhides on it, but they won't fit on the Conquest (not enough clearance). If I were to get the Rawhides, I would have to go with the 22" or 23" Rawhides. I 'm planning on getting some of them to put on it. I will be keeping the other tires for when I put the tracks on it.

Nice BigFoot you got there!
Ontario Trophy Bucks