Exomag & Broadhead Size

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bow hunter

Exomag & Broadhead Size

Post by bow hunter »

I recently purchased a used Exomag. It's in excellent shape and I got a good deal. However, I was going to do some practice shooting with broadheads. I am using Thunderhead 125's on Gold Tip Laser 2 Bolts. However it does not look like I can shoot these broad heads from this bow. When I load the arrow, I notice the bottom blade on the broadhead is hitting the cocking stirrup. Am I doing something wrong or are these broadheads jus too big. I can load the arrow if turn the broadhead so that one blade is not sticking down but I have always been under the impression that you should line up blades with vanes.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bowhunter,

I have a newer EXCAL and had no clearance problems with the TH's, I did have a grouping problem though. I guess the larger blades caused a planing problem, I switched to a lower profile broadhead (WASP Boss or Muzzy 4 blades) and the grouping issue was solved.

Rich
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

The problem here will be that the stirrup is on upside down. Until a few years ago we cut them at a 5o offset to clear the broadhead and if you put one on upside down you were guaranteed trouble.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What Bill said.. I found that out the hard way... :cry:

Thunderheads should fly OK out of that Exomag.

There are others that will fly better though..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

Bill,
Thank you very much for the reply. Interestingly, I just talked to the guy who sold me the the bow this morning and he confirmed exactly what you are saying. Just to let you know this is my second Excaibur. The first one was an Exocet I purchased back in 1994. It has served me very well and I really wasn't in the market for a new one, but this one was just too good of a deal to pass up. It is service like this, that keeps people loyal to your company and your products.