Crossbow Permit

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Brainiac

Crossbow Permit

Post by Brainiac »

Help me understand this in my state (NC) I have to have a permit for a crossbow like a handgun permit.But, if where to go buy a long gun. I dont have to have a permit.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Brainiac, here's the link to get your permit from the NC wildlife dept:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/ ... pg1b2b.pdf

At the top of the application, check one or more of the boxes next to the permits that you need and are qualified for. Have your doctor sign it and send it in. When I bought my excalibur, the dealer asked for my NC handgun permit which I had. I'm not sure if it's a NC law that you are required to have a handgun permit or not. I wouldn't think so seeing how you can order an excalibur online and have it shipped to NC. Don't take my word for it though, check with your local law enforcement agency. Good luck. Did you get my PM?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

I have the hunting permit, just not the one to have it.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you saying that you have a crossbow permit but not a handgun permit. Also, did a dealer tell you that you had to have a handgun permit to purchase a crossbow?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

raydaughety wrote:Sorry, I'm confused. Are you saying that you have a crossbow permit but not a handgun permit. Also, did a dealer tell you that you had to have a handgun permit to purchase a crossbow?
I have the NC Crossbow hunting permit, but not the hundgun/crossbow permit.I went to Gander mt and the guy there, said I had to have it.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Yea, You can usually get your handgun permit the same day that you apply for it.(if you don't have a record)
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Brainiac, I can solve your question.

What you need is a "permit to purchase" a crossbow from your county sheriff. You have to have the same purchase permit you'd need for a handgun to buy a crossbow in NC.

The only exception would be if you are already a Concealed Carry Permit holder.

Simple. Call your county sheriff's office and they'll fix you up. They cannot refuse you, unless you are a felon or some other known troublemaker. This is a "shall issue" state.

Here is the official language from the Attorney General's Firearms Laws page:

North Carolina's pistol permitting and concealed carry permit laws qualify as an alternative to the requirements of the Brady Law. Therefore, when a person desires to purchase a handgun from a federally licensed dealer the person need comply solely with North Carolina's pistol permit laws and present a valid permit to purchase a handgun or valid North Carolina issued concealed carry permit.

The permit requirements set out for the purchase or receipt of handguns in North Carolina, also applies to the purchase, receipt, selling, giving away, or transfer of any crossbow. Therefore, prior to a person receiving a crossbow, the Sheriff must issue a permit in the same manner as if the individual was receiving a pistol.

Hope that helps! :D
Grizz
Brainiac

Post by Brainiac »

I don’t have any felons, It’s just more paper work. I can understand the law about handguns, but a crossbow ?
BigBird-VA

Post by BigBird-VA »

Brainiac wrote:I don’t have any felons, It’s just more paper work. I can understand the law about handguns, but a crossbow ?
I've always wondered what moron thought that one up?