Have Excalibur, Will Travel.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Have Excalibur, Will Travel.

Post by Mike P »

It seems like a lot of members enjoyed the “Walk the Line” thread.

navaman wrote: i for one really enjoyed this topic. i'm already looking for more like it.
saxman wrote:Great topic Mike P
As I read all of your contributions, it was evident that everyone gave the topic some thought. I tried to determine if there were any common threads, key ingredients if you will, that made the thread popular. I think one of the principal pieces to the puzzle was your ability to choose your stance on an issue. You were able to draw your line in the sand and tell us why. For one brief fleeting moment, the soap box was yours. You expressed your beliefs. And in the diversity of all these beliefs we celebrated our differences and the community was strengthened in the process.

Let’s move from the Dark Continent to our own backyards. Let’s see what happens when we drag out the soap box and talk antlers. Let’s talk about the whitetail buck. And to the point, and here is where the game goes afoot, lets talk about limits.

Jay, I am going to use a quote here of some of your words to get us started. And to preface this quote I must tell you a quick little story. I was privileged to attend a Florida deer hunt last year with the use of dogs. I was boar hunting and the family who owns the cattle ranch we hunt on invited us to the big “last day of the hunt” celebration. It is a huge family event with grandfathers and grandsons, daughters and granddaughters, cousins, uncles and anybody else who shared a vague bloodline. The dogs run the deer like beagles run a cottontail and hunting party members station themselves much like the rabbit hunters. After the hunt a huge BBQ was held. What a party! They have been doing this from generation to generation for who knows how many decades. I was honored for being invited and count it as one of the most unique hunting experiences of my life. That being said, here comes the quote.
flbuckmaster wrote: I have taken my personal limit of ten bucks a year with the last being 8 points or better for the last ten years or so. Where else can you do that on public land?
Jay

In previous posts, I have stated my position on the development of whitetail bucks. Many of you know I am an advocate of the one buck limit. And many of you know I am strictly a trophy hunter and a rack fanatic. We can use the trophy hunter versus meat hunter as another topic down the line for another “soap box” thread. But today, let’s talk whitetail buck limits. I believe that placing a one buck limit improves the quantity and quality of whitetail bucks. There are numerous studies that back my position. I also believe that the buck/doe ratio is skewed in virtually everyone’s hunting area. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are few. We hear talk of some areas that require you to shoot a doe before they will issue you a permit to shoot a buck. In some places such as the Edwards Plateau in Texas it would be just plain stupid to limit the harvest of just one buck per license. In many “multi-buck” states I have heard hunters on more then one occasion say “I’m glad I got the first buck out of the way, now I can concentrate on taking a big one.” And is there any difference if a trophy hunter like me visits other states and kills a buck in each of them? Does that violate my own beliefs in the one buck rule? Look how quick the water can get muddy.

If you live in a multi-buck state, county, or parish, tell us your thoughts. Tell us what you do. If you hunt in multiple states and shoot a buck in each, tell us your thoughts. Tell us why you do it.

It’s time to choose your stance again. The soapbox beckons. Let’s once again celebrate our differences.

p.s. I apologize to my northern brothers for using only the states above. As I have never hunted whitetails above the border, I didn’t feel very comfortable with your limits and regulations so I’ll leave it to you to comment about those along with your thoughts. If any of you would care to correct this tragic condition, I will just say “Have Excalibur, Will Travel.” And if you understand that saying, let’s face it, your old!
Last edited by Mike P on Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I am not very keen on people who take multiple bucks (especialy small ones) every year or people who take more deer (buck or doe) than they need. It is legal though, so I just grit my teeth and watch it happen and remind myself that it is probably needed in some places. Most would argue that the biologists in the state or province know whats best so if they say it is ok then it must be. I could not disagree with that statement more because I have no faith in them after watching them improperly manage my states heard for years.

I am mainly a trophy hunter because I put all my efforts into finding big bucks. But if it gets to be Christmas time and I havn't filled a tag yet then I will start looking for a big old doe for the freezer. My general rule for bucks is that I will take the first big 8 point or better that I see. After that I won't shoot another buck unless it is bigger than the one before it, usualy a nine or ten. Using this method means I almost never get past number two. This usualy allows me to hunt all year without tagging out which I enjoy and it ensures there are more big bucks in the forest for other hunters to go after, and for next year. I think a lot of peoples practices and beliefs will vary because different areas and states require different tactics. Most would expect me to be in favor of shooting does to produce bigger bucks but in the place I hunt the does need to be spared because the population as a whole is being decimated by other hunters who think it's ok to shoot 10 to 20 deer a year. So to help balance out their mistakes I try to keep my harvest to a minimum. If I were to travel to another state or country to hunt and I had allready gotten a couple deer I would have no problem with shooting another after having spent a good bit of money for out of state lisences, travel, etc. Personaly, I would probably only take one and he would have to be a monster, but thats just me.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

Im sure everybody would like to shoot a big antlered deer.Out of the 25 or so bucks I have taken only about 2 would qualify,one grossing 154 6/8 as a 9 pt.But where I hunt there are 3 7day gun hunts called control hunts,that is just pure herd reductions,so most bucks dont get much of a chance to mature unless they stay on posted land,most seasons you would go deerless if you held out for a big one.any deer in my eyes is a trophy,when I stop thinking this it will be time to hang up the bow.I believe a deer you would shoot the last day you should not pass on the first day.It would be nce to hunt an area where there is qualty deer management but that is only a dream. but if you are not happy with a smaller deer then dont takeit,its your choice and I respect you for it.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I am a meat hunter.

Trophy bucks are interesting, but I don't think they're worth the powder and lead it takes to put them down for eating.

I take at least four deer every year, and sometimes six, depending on the freezer levels. I focus on killing the deer that will make the best meat.

I finally killed one big and heavy old eight pointer that lived here on my farm (I'd had him in the crosshairs many times previously), and he was the toughest, rankest deer I've ever put a fork to, in spite of rapid and quality butchering right here on site.

Trophy hunters march to a different drumbeat than my own. It saddens me that many of them think theirs is the superior tune (I trust that wouldn't be any of you) ... because hunting to put food on the table is an honorable affair, to my way of thinking.

I believe that most "One Buck Rules" revolve around the idea of managing deer herds for big-racked bucks, which just doesn't matter to me.

Here where I live, a one-buck rule would not only be ridiculous, but harmful. We have plenty of deer, too much deer damage, and hardly anybody ever sees the big bucks anyway because of our jungle-like cover and huge tracts of swampland and pocosin.

In areas that can support the kill, my rule is:

Take what you can use; use what you take.

In areas that are deer-poor or where everyone is infatuated with antlers, then I guess folks can do what they want to do. :D

As for me, I hope my first day out produces a nice sleek doe ... and a button buck would do just fine, too. :wink:

Callie Rose, my #10 WagnerWare skillet, won't know the difference.

And we won't care.
Grizz
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Thats what I mean about hunting different areas. In areas with low populations and short seasons I would have totaly different tactics. My first priority would be to get meat for the table even though I would still hold out for a mature deer. Here we can hunt from atleast Oct. through the first week or two of Jan and even longer in some places. If I shot a deer every time I saw one, my season would be over in a few days and I realy don't want that. True, every deer is always a trophy no matter what it's characteristics but spending as many days out in the field as possible are an even bigger trophy for me than filling tags. Spending as much time hunting as I possibly can and getting a nice buck is the ultimate.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I'm a meat hunter....no wait, I'm an antler hunter....well, not really. I'm whatever strikes my fancy as the deer walks by. Occasionally, one will walk by and I start salivating (usually when the freezer's empty and the shot is too good to pass up). Then on other times (freezer is pretty full) I'll be chasing big horns that I saw a glimpse of earlier in the season.

The key point is I don't think there is a right or wrong path to this as long as you use what you kill and do not waste the animal or the experience. Trophy management in the areas I hunt is next to impossible to due to extreme pressure but I've let a young buck walk at times...and others I have not. Just depends on whether he tickles my taste buds. :lol:
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
saxman

Post by saxman »

I've never killed a buck but I would love to have a nice big rack for the wall
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
navaman

Post by navaman »

i had to step outside on the porch and have a smoke before i answered this one. (the wife allows no cigarette smoking inside). i've just popped the top on a cold dr. pepper and i'm going not to try to be long winded here.
i grew up hunting rabbits and squirrels and other small game but never had a chance to hunt deer until '05 at the youthful age of 44. that same year i was building a new office for a wealthy rancher's polo operation. there were hunters there for elk and some of them were a pretty good sort.
one day a cook came and got me and asked me if i cared to take home elk meat and i told him "sure". as he was cutting off huge pieces of meat to put in my cooler he said he had gone back to the kill site and retrieved the carcass because the hunter had just cut off the head and left the body for the buzzards. it left me with a real bad feeling especially because the nearby town had a hunters for the hungry program.
now, i'll be the first to admit and defend that hunter's right to do as he pleases but it doesn't mean i have to respect him. he paid his multi-thousands of dollars to kill that elk but his lack of respect for that animal and lack of concern for his fellow man left me with feelings towards him that a Godly man is not supposed to have.
it matters not to me if it is doe or buck. i will be grateful to be able to put meat in the freezer for my family. some (and please take notice i say "some") trophy hunters i cannot understand. all life is precious and especially if it's life is being layed down to feed our families or even just our egos.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
M&M

Post by M&M »

I agree with ya navaman I could not hunt and kill what I have no intention of eating. With one exception groundhogs. M&M
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Jack Palance (sp) Have Gun Will Travel :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Gary L: 'twas Richard Boone that played the part of "Paladin", one of my favorites as a kid. to be honest, I had to google it to remember!! lol.
"Eze 18:21"
navaman

Meat Hunter versus Trophy Hunter

Post by navaman »

navaman wrote:i had to step outside on the porch and have a smoke before i answered this one. (the wife allows no cigarette smoking inside). i've just popped the top on a cold dr. pepper and i'm going not to try to be long winded here.
i grew up hunting rabbits and squirrels and other small game but never had a chance to hunt deer until '05 at the youthful age of 44. that same year i was building a new office for a wealthy rancher's polo operation. there were hunters there for elk and some of them were a pretty good sort.
one day a cook came and got me and asked me if i cared to take home elk meat and i told him "sure". as he was cutting off huge pieces of meat to put in my cooler he said he had gone back to the kill site and retrieved the carcass because the hunter had just cut off the head and left the body for the buzzards. it left me with a real bad feeling especially because the nearby town had a hunters for the hungry program.
now, i'll be the first to admit and defend that hunter's right to do as he pleases but it doesn't mean i have to respect him. he paid his multi-thousands of dollars to kill that elk but his lack of respect for that animal and lack of concern for his fellow man left me with feelings towards him that a Godly man is not supposed to have.
it matters not to me if it is doe or buck. i will be grateful to be able to put meat in the freezer for my family. some (and please take notice i say "some") trophy hunters i cannot understand. all life is precious and especially if it's life is being layed down to feed our families or even just our egos.
that's pretty much the way i still feel about it.
navaman

Meat Hunter versus Trophy Hunter

Post by navaman »

navaman wrote:i had to step outside on the porch and have a smoke before i answered this one. (the wife allows no cigarette smoking inside). i've just popped the top on a cold dr. pepper and i'm going not to try to be long winded here.
that's still pretty much the way i feel about it.
mikew

Post by mikew »

jh45gun wrote:I was taught you eat what you kill and you do not waste anything. Those that cut the heads off and leave the rest give me a sour outlook on the subject. We have that happen here too every year where some one cuts off the head and leaves the carcass to rot. Of course I think a lot of them are poached and that is even worse than killing the animal for the meat.
I think you meant "even worse than killing the animal for the head"?
A bit confused, I am. :?

But, no matter. :)

I too was taught to use what I kill & do not waste anything.

I waffle back & forth (meat/antlers); if the freezer is empty (which, because I haven't hunted in 8 years, it is), I'll be looking to fill it first. Then, a nice mature buck would be great.

-Mike
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

I was raised up under the "only kill what you are going to eat" philosophy and I pretty much adhere to that to this day. Coming from a family of hunters I can recall a number of times where there were five or six deer hanging waiting for us to butcher. Some even had antlers. :D I admire a trophy buck as much as the next guy and sure wouldn't pass up the chance to take one, but as my Dad always says "antlers make poor soup." I don't begrudge a hunter harvesting more then one deer, or more then one buck as long as it is done legally and nothing is wasted. (We practiced share the harvest long befor it was ever called that)

That being said, when I go hunting this year my game plan will be as follows:

1. In season scouting - I need to learn all new areas to hunt and haven't had time to do it.

2. Harvest one deer - antlered or anterless doesn't matter. Since I'm the only one that will eat venison in our house unless it's made into jerky, beef stick, etc. One deer will be all we need. I will not shoot fawns, no matter how tasty they might be and I will try to avoid shooting button bucks, though I have harveted several over the years "by mistake."

If I'm lucky enough to accomplish # 2 early in the season, I will continue to hunt, and I may harvest a second deer. That one will be shared with my family and friends. Mostly, I will just use hunting as an excuse to be out in the woods.

From what I've seen and read of deer management plans, everyone has a different idea and not all ideas work all the time in all areas but do work sometimes in some areas. :lol: I've given up trying to figure it out. Hunters seem to get angry when too many deer are shot and hunters seem to get angry when not enough deer are shot. Me? I'm done being angry. I'm just gonna find a comfortable spot under a shady tree and watch the squirrels play with their nuts...wait a minute that didn't come out right.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog