Which Bow To Buy as a New Crossbow Hunter?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Welcome to the forum Dick, I beleive you are on the right track.

Tar
The old man from the mountain
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Buy the one that you fits you and shoots the best. Try as many as you can, including other brands, to see which one is best for YOU. Size, weight, cocking effort, ease of maintenance, eye to sight alignment and, most importantly, accuracy, should determine your choice....regardless what someone else shoots.

PS I shoot two....one of them an Excalibur.
ratherbefishin

Post by ratherbefishin »

I chose an exomax even though it is overkill for deer-but I also hunt moose,so that plus the flatter trajectory tipped the balance in favour of the heavier bow.However, had that not been the case-a lighter bow would do justfine.I'm new to this-but I was shooting dead on right off the get go-it was truely astounding.The rope cocker greatly simplifies cocking -plus string alignment.I'd use it even on a lighter bow
Rage_A_Holic

Post by Rage_A_Holic »

Personally I chose an Exomax.

Reasons being:
1) It is the flattest shooting bow
2) Since it is the most powerful bow Excalibur makes, regardless of what I plan on hunting in the future I will never need to upgrade to a more powerful bow
3) Since it offers the highest poundage; it offers either the fastest shot; or the highest KE, depending on bolt choice

EX: if hunting bear or moose; I plan to use heavy bolts (500+ Grains) to maintain the necessary Kinetic Energy, while shooting at a respectable velocity. While hunting deer; I plan to use a light bolt, to max out speed(350+FPS); and counter balance their fast reflexes.

BUT HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART-
Before purchase I spent some time shooting the Exomax. I tried practice shooting for extended periods, and held up fine. I can also cock it without the rope aid if necessary. Therefore my final words are: try all the Excalibur models, and pick the highest poundage model you are comfortable with. make sure you are comfortable target shooting for extended periods, and make sure if necessary you can cock it without an aid. Whether that be the Vixen(150lbs), Phoenix(175lbs), Exomag/Exocet/Vortex(200lbs), or Exomax/Equinox(225lbs) you can be certain you chose the right bow.

Have fun; and keep us informed!
[img]http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/948/sig2ty6.jpg[/img]
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

bstout wrote:Welcome to the forum! :D

If I was going to buy a new crossbow today I would purchase an Excalibur Phoenix for reasons too numerous to mention.
In all honesty, the Phoenix will be just fine for deer hunting. I have a 2006 Exocet 200 and I love it. But, the Phoenix will kill 'em just as good. Now, Excal provides an affordable package for the Phoenix.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

welcome here... any excal will work, but for best results i'd pick one of the models in the 175-225 draw weight range.. the exocet 200 would be the happy middle;)
dick195252

Thank You All For The Helpful Advice

Post by dick195252 »

I Want To Thank All Of You For Your In Put. I Have Ordered The Excaliber 2007 Exocet 200 And The Excaliber 2007 Right Stuff Crossbow With Multi Range Scope Accesory Package From Bowhunters Super Store. I Can Not Wait To Get It In A Few Days And Start Practicing. I Will Let You All Know How Things Are Progressing And I Am Sure I Will Have More Questions Soon. HAPPY SHOOTING And Thank You All Again Have A Great Day Dick :)
navaman

Post by navaman »

anytime friend, anytime. i for one am going to be looking forward to hearing from you about that exocet . :D
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have both the Phoenix and Exocet, either is a good choice. The Phoenix sure is a pleasure to target shoot though. I use the Exocet and the wife shoots the Phoenix for hunting.

Rich
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Welcome Dick,

Last December I purchased my new Excalibur Phoenix after spending many hours on this amazing forum researching xbows.

I tried cocking and shooting my friends exomax but found it slightly difficult and tiring to cock after a few shots, don't get me wrong this is an excellent xbow and my friend has shot many a deer and loves it.

I'm 5ft.-6" and will be 50 yrs. in a few months and I know that I can cock and shoot my Phoenix for many years to come and I can't wait to climb into my treestand this fall.
Try shooting the various models of excalibur and you decide which is comfortable and fits right, many bow shops have shooting ranges inside.

Bottom line, all Excalibur xbows are excellent bows and and very accurate and they will all put a bolt right through a deer.

Good Luck...Friggs
Makomachine

Post by Makomachine »

I suggest you go to a shop and try before you buy. I have the Phoenix and have taken two deer with it since I bought it last year. It's more than enough for anything I'd ever hunt in my life. Speed is nice but don't make the mistake of buying something you aren't comfortable cocking for repeated practice and those cold winter days. You can't go wrong with Excal in the quality, reliability, and performance department - you just need to see which is a fit for you.
Excalibur Phoenix
Vari-Zone Scope
Steddy Eddy
Gold Tip LII / Blazer vanes / Tracer Nock / Slick Trick BH
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I had an Exocet 200, just traded it to a friend for his Phoenix. My shoulder is messed up and i shoot 3-D tounaments. Just got too hard on me. The phoenix is easier and i can complete 25 shots without all the pain. I also have Miss Vixen, just got her this past weekend. I will shoot the Vixen in the 3-D sunday.