Which Bow To Buy as a New Crossbow Hunter?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dick195252

Which Bow To Buy as a New Crossbow Hunter?????

Post by dick195252 »

`Hello Every One.. I Am New To This Forum But Every One Seems Very Helpfull In There Responses To Us New Guys On Here. I Am Going To Buy My First Crossbow And Would Like To Here All The Opinions On Which One To Buy. I Will Be Hunting Mainly Whitetail Deer And Black Bear. I Am Leaning Towards The Excaliber EXOCET 200 I Am 55 In Good Health Looking Forward To Retireing In A Few Years And Hunt As Much As I Can In McEwen Tennessee. Thank You Dick Kundert
navaman

Post by navaman »

welcome ! your choice of an exocet is a good one. i have a vixen i and i'm looking forward to buying the same one you're considerering. only because of the flatter trajectory. my little vixen took a real nice wisconsin 10 pointer last year. it did a fine job at 30 yards and if i get the exocet i'll give the vixen to my step-son. you're in the right place for good advice and friendly "conversation". :D
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
pitch black

Post by pitch black »

also looking at the exocet 200, read a lot on this forum about it,
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. If it's an Excalibur you can't go wrong . :D
hawg hunter

which bow

Post by hawg hunter »

I bought an Exomag200 in 03 . this is basically the same as a Exocet 200, after one year of huntingnad chasing bolts that are 40 yds from where you hit the deer on passthrough.IMOP the phoenix is the best ebow that excal produces. I didn't understand their reasining not offering the pistol grip stock for this bow. I've killed some very large hogs, elk, and numerous deer with the Phoenix.
rutman

Post by rutman »

Congrats on forum choice! Welcome.
Good choice on the bow too.
rutman
paradox
graphite goldtip laser II's
wasp 100gr. jakhammer sst expandibles
Love it all!!!!!!!!!
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

Hello from another Excalibur shooter(Vixen) in the Volunteer State. You will find the people here most generous with sharing their expertise. Good luck to you!

Regards
Joe
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I picked the Vixen when I bought my first xbow back in Feb., and I'm glad I did. I use an xbow because I have neck and back injuries and I chose Vixen because it is the easiest to load. Since it doesn't shoot blazing speeds, the bolts don't have to be as perfect as they do on the faster bows. That makes pinpoint accuracy pretty easy. No joke, my first two shots at 40 yards resulted in a robin hood, with broadheads. :oops: That taught me to always aim at different spots on the target! I didn't like that it only came in brown, but I did a home camo job that turned out OK.

navaman

Post by navaman »

nice job !
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome my friend. any X-Cal will serve you well.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

One thing to consider is the work involved in cocking & shooting the crossbow. Every increase in weight adds to the effort to cock, so it can mean a few less shots in a practice session. Practice is important, especially to a new crossbow hunter.
Any of the Excaliburs designed for hunting will have plenty of power to drive a sharp broadhead tipped arrow through a whitetail. I like my Phoenix, but I killed several whitetails with my Vixen before I got the urge to upgrade (more of an urge for the camo finish than a need for more power).
I'm sure it's a combination of factors, including age, but I was able to shoot the Vixen dozens of shots without getting tired. Just the 25# increase in weight of the Phoenix makes a noticable differance to me.
Seems like after a couple dozen shots I get tired enough to notice it.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

wabi wrote:One thing to consider is the work involved in cocking & shooting the crossbow. Every increase in weight adds to the effort to cock, so it can mean a few less shots in a practice session. Practice is important, especially to a new crossbow hunter.
Any of the Excaliburs designed for hunting will have plenty of power to drive a sharp broadhead tipped arrow through a whitetail. I like my Phoenix, but I killed several whitetails with my Vixen before I got the urge to upgrade (more of an urge for the camo finish than a need for more power).
I'm sure it's a combination of factors, including age, but I was able to shoot the Vixen dozens of shots without getting tired. Just the 25# increase in weight of the Phoenix makes a noticable differance to me.
Seems like after a couple dozen shots I get tired enough to notice it.
Although my favorite bow is my Phoenix I have to agree 100% with what Wabi says.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I'll have to vote for the Phoenix also. It is the perfect whitetail bow.
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome!

I chose the Exomax, and I'm not sorry ... but it is more than most would want to brace by hand. It's not light with a cocking aid. I think it's best for stronger (and longer) hunters.

Perhaps younger, too!

It has speed and power to spare. I'm sure something lighter would be sufficient.

:D
Grizz
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Welcome to the forum Dick, I beleive you are on the right track.

Tar
The old man from the mountain