Removing arrow wraps ????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Removing arrow wraps ????

Post by wabi »

What's a good way to get wraps off the arrow?
wabi
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

I use an exacto knife and run it down the wrap, going all the way around the arrow as i turn it in my fingers until there's no wrap left on the arrow. Then clean off the goo with acetone.
Ontario Trophy Bucks
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Best I found is don't put them on in the first place! Easier to get last years taxes back than to get wraps off. I like the laquer paint deal, comes off in under a minute w/ acetone soaked rag, no additional weight for the paint, still can increase visibility of shaft. I've got an EZ strip tool that works fairly well for removing wraps, but they ain't cheap either.
"Eze 18:21"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Lonewolf said it...that the way i do it works great very easy...and my blazer vanes stick to the wraps very well..

What up Mike my fine *&^%$ friend. sorry Ive been outa touch Bro..I will send you a PM..

Hoss
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... um.php?f=1

same as in that post, but I do have to scrape them with a razor blade to get most off.. then just use that scrub pad and some adhesive remover and its like brand new.. simple once you get the hang of it :D

I put wraps on all my bolts mainly so I can see where it hits and find it after the shot;) ill never shoot non wrapped ones again :lol:
Rich

Post by Rich »

I'm with CF, best to "wrap that rascal", wait that saying is from liberty briefs during my port visits to the far east. I like the wraps for increased visibility and help finding the bolt also.

Rich
hawg hunter

wraps

Post by hawg hunter »

Wraps are pretty to look at and do aid in finding an arrow,however in limited shooting with a crossbow they slow the bolt, are not as accurate, and are not very durable. I'll take a arrow with florescent green or orange with a white cock vaneover a wraped that you cannot depend to fly true.
Big John

wraps

Post by Big John »

I see no difference in accuracy at thirty yds.+ from wrapped to unwrapped. However, penetration into target is better, since weight is increased.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

your right Big John..wraps vs paint you caint tell the diff...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Hawg Hunter,

My GT II's with 4" wraps shot like darts, I've noticed no difference in speed or accuracey. I shoot daily and the wear has not been significant.

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

Actually the wraps I want to remove are on Grizzly Stik tapered carbon arrows for traditional bows. The first Grizzly Stiks I purchased were sold by a good salesman that talked me into wraps for the shafts. He told me some story about just dipping them in boiling water for a few seconds and they'd peel right off.
Short version of the story,
"got a coffee can full of water and brought it to a boil. dipped the wrap for a few seconds and it was still on tight. dipped it for a longer time and it was still on tight. dipped it for so long I got worried about damaging the shaft and it was still tight. scraped it off carefully with a utility knife and cleaned the adhesive off with MEK."
If I boil any more water it will be to make tea while I scrape the wraps off!!!!!!!!! :lol:
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I don't get it.. everyone agrees the wraps are a PITA to remove, and they don't stand up, and the idea of paint is so quickly dismissed, a quick rub with a soaked rag and you are as good as new..
Wraps looks great, paint looks great, one comes off easy, the other is an evening project.. Sorta seems like a no brainer to me.. It would probably take some practice to get the painting down pat though..
Anybody ever get curious and weigh a wrap?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
KYXbow

Post by KYXbow »

Lacquer paint on my bolts, easy on - easy off!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Pypiper,

I remember reading a stat on a 7" wrap and it said it added 5 grains to the total weight.

Rich
wabi

Post by wabi »

Pydpiper wrote:I don't get it.. everyone agrees the wraps are a PITA to remove, and they don't stand up, and the idea of paint is so quickly dismissed, a quick rub with a soaked rag and you are as good as new..
Wraps looks great, paint looks great, one comes off easy, the other is an evening project.. Sorta seems like a no brainer to me.. It would probably take some practice to get the painting down pat though..
Anybody ever get curious and weigh a wrap?
Actually the wraps were an experiment in this case. I've been painting arrows by dipping them in lacquer for years. I have crest dip tubes and full length tubes for my wooden traditional arrows.
I usually crest dip crossbow arrows. By dipping (nock end first) then hanging them by the point end gravity works to give a tapered coat of paint (usually 2 or 3 dips involved as the paint is thin) with no transition "bump" where the paint starts. An old field point screwed into the nock (I use a regular point insert) can be removed when the paint is dry and leaves a nice clean insert where the string contacts.
When I get the wraps off the arrows they are on, they will get dipped!
The lacquer leaves a great surface to glue fletching to, and as you have stated - if it wears it's very easy to remove!
I'm not sure (old age reduces memory :roll: ) but I believe paint adds 4 to 6 grains per dip. I weigh finished shafts before I apply fletching, and if I need to adjust one up in weight another dip usually works. If one's heavy, it's a little more work but I can either strip it and dip again using one less dip, or simply lightly sand the insert (while spinning it in a chuck on the lathe) to remove a few grains.
wabi