string strech and how to adjust

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

travis

string strech and how to adjust

Post by travis »

hi, i have just purchased my exuinox and have only shot it once. i have been a avid hunter for 15years with a rifle and compound bow but am now getting very interested in crossbows. i enjoy this forum alot and have been reading about adjusting brace height and string strech and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on this.

thanks great forum
exuinox, groundpounder mount,
right stuff scope packeage
greatest WIFE and kids got me this for fathers day.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I could possibly answer your questions but you should be more specific. BTW stretch is a temporary elasticity and creep is permanent as in when the string "settles in" or is broken in and the dimensional change is permanent or unrecoverable.
If you mean how do you maintain a brace height while the string creeps then just twist the string (ususally counter clock-wise) to shorten it to maintain your desired brace height.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a steel machinists ruler, I maintain a brace height of 1 1/8 inch from my riser. I keep a close eye on it just for the consistency reasons..
Initially your string will stretch a lot, but will settle in with time (but will still slowly stretch).
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
travis

Post by travis »

how much does this effect acurracy, is something that should be measured and adjusted each time i take the bow out shooting. thank you for your advice i am just new to all of this but interested in learning.
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

Yes if you allow it to move the brace height it will affect point of impact. My Equinox shoots best if I keep the string just ahead of the most rearward line on the rail. Seems to be a sweetspot for my bow. When you first put string on it will need care each time you shoot. Later the string settles in and holds a pretty steady brace height.

DrDan
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It takes a few hundred shots to get a string "broke in". I have also started turning the string from the right side a 1/2 turn before I adjust from the left side until the brace height is correct. This should improve your serving wear a good amount.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
travis

Post by travis »

thanks these all sound very helpful and i appreiate all the help, this forum is awsome. cant wait to start hunting with this new bow.