Bagged First Ever Bear!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Exocet77

Bagged First Ever Bear!

Post by Exocet77 »

Well I went up north to Foleyet for my first ever bear hunt. Opening morning my hunting partner shot a 170lbs sow. I didnt hear or see anything. That night though I lucked out and had a big em walk under my stand and in front of me. Was real aggressive. I ended up dropping him @ 20 yards with my Vixen tipped with 100gr Mag Slick Tricks. Perfect double lung pass through. He dropped about 50 yds from where I hit him. I will post a few more pics and a full story a little later. He weighed 224lbs.

Image[/img]
Big John

bear

Post by Big John »

That's the way to start off the season's pic's. 8) :)
Congrat's on your first! Now your hooked for life!
That's a Beauty Bear!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Exocet! I'm glad you were successful. :D
Grizz
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice bear and pics. Big CONGRATS.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Guess that answers the question as to whether the Vixen is powerful enough for bear. :wink: Sounds like a perfect shot!
wabi
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

very nice bear!!!!

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

Well done :wink:
Give it a try,What the heck!
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Exocet, congrats on a great bear, great pictures, I think you get the privledge of posting FIRST BLOOD 2007, my battery is fully charged and I'm READY.

Tar
The old man from the mountain
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

My ENVY meter is pegged. Wish we had bears like that her in S. Georgia. We have some black bears in the swamps but are smaller and not very plentiful. Good luck in the coming days.
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Congrats, looks and sounds like a great bear hunt
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Im a little more awake now after the long drive so I will share my story.

I was getting eaten alive by the mosquitos up there. It was about 615 and my guide had just finished moving me from another bait stand. He told me if a bear was gonna hit @ this time this would be the spot and to keep and eye on the trail leading to the stand as the bear might come from behind. The stand was about 12ft off the ground. Was a platform style with a chair on it cornered by 4 trees. There was only about 7-8" infront and behind the chair to readjust. The first thing I noticed when getting setup was the length between the front cornered trees of the stand, even with my vixen if I shot without leaning forward and clearing the limbs of the trees and could be disaster. The had a small hanging bucket that the bears usually pull down and also a bait pile covered with big logs. I yardaged the can @ 12yds and the bait pile @ 17yrds! WOW :shock: I was thinking this almost feels to close especially when it seemed i wasent that high in the tree to begin with!! The evening was overcast and drizzling off and on, wasent much of a breeze, still a little cool though. A few minutes past 8pm I heard a noise comming from behind me down the trail to my stand and the bait. I didnt move to look back I just froze, the sound was almost like someone stomping there foot everystep yet at an *almost jogging pace. All I seen underneith me was the big black bear walk right under, he got about 5 feet in front of me and stopped in his tracks and started sniffing the air, its like he walked right into a wall of my scent. He looked back and fourth and continued towards the log pile almost stomping with every step. He swatted a log off easily and started to shove his snout under. I figured it was the perfect opportunity to slowly move forward to make clearance for the limbs. I moved maybe an inch and he jolted his head up and charged towards the stand. He stopped 5 yds short staring @ me and sniffing bobbing his head around. The bow still wasent cleared and I was like a deer in the headlights. He stomped back towards the wood pile and smacked the hanging can with his left mit angrily. Noice and distraction so I moved forward some more. He shot his head around again staring @ me and sniffing @ me. Turned away to the wood pile and I finally cleared the limbs so I could shoot. He seen or heard me move again or somen and he jumped back and ran back from the woodpile away from me looking back into the thick bush and me debating on if he should run or not. I knew if I wanted to take him it was now or never. I eased the 20yd pin behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. I watched the arrow soar into the blackness of the bear. He ran through the bush for a minute, then I heard the roars and moan for about 15 seconds. I was in shock and disbelief I think from all the excitement. I started to get out of the stand then back up, and radio'd in for the guide and that. They were there in about 5minutes, the owner, guide, Dutch (tracking dog), Bob and was nice to see my hunting partner Dan showed up. I showed them where I shot the bear, but there was no blood or arrow, walked about 5yds and little bits of blood, I was like oh no, I pray i didnt hit it to far back or wound it.. lots of things running through my mind. The started putting the trail tape up and put the dog on it. The dog started throug the bush and circled to our right, right back to us. Dutch wheres the bear did it again same thing. Like wtf, Paul the guides was like wheres the dog circlen from. "To the right", walked over, "Here it is!!". Right after we found it the owners wife and also my gf showed up with the cameras (was a nice surprise)! The shot was perfect dbl lungs, the fat closed the holes a little but right near where he layed there was a nice track to follow. Got it back to camp and we weighed him and everyone from camp came down to take a look and some pics. I was still out of it from the shock, excitement and emotion I had felt and been overwhelmed with. Was a very memorable hunt and almost like a dream come true! Hoping to go back next year!!

Dunn14

Post by Dunn14 »

congrats :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Congrats man! That's awesome!!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sweeeeeet ! .... Beauty bear for sure ! ... Congrat's

The blood letting begins !!

Just goes to show you .... a Vixen is more than enough bow for Ontario " big game "
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
tracer

Post by tracer »

There you where, 17ft. away from a grumpy bear with a crossbow, limbs in the way,setting up for a safe shot, no backup, and you got'rr done. Good job man.Great hunt and the pics are awesome,congrat's.
Authorized Dealer for SPYPOINT, SPARTAN, BADLANDS GEAR, KLYMIT, FENIX,
whitetailscrossing.com