migratory bird hunting in ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

does anyone know why crossbows are not included in the migratory bird archery hunt in Ontario? i don't really want to do it, I am just curious. thanks.
rob
Team Dryfire
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You may want to check again, Archery is allowed on migratory bird hunts and you Ontario doesn't differentiate between different forms of archery.
Where did you hear otherwise? I can't see myself missing a change that big..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chessy

Post by chessy »

pydipper archery is alowed but you did not read correctly .. you are not allowed to use cross bow never been alowed to use one .... long bow only

15. (1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) and sections 23.1 and 23.2, no person shall hunt a migratory bird

(a) except with a long bow and arrow or with a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge;

seeing they specificly say long bow not archery you are out of luck with a crossbow
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Where does this information come from? I can't seem to find it in the reg's.. My statement (although obviously incorrect) came from a CO, but that was last year.
I have no interest in birds either, but I asked out of curiousity and that is the information I was given.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
chessy

Post by chessy »

first the mnr are provincal officers and the migrator bird act is federal..

but here is the ling to the laws of migratory birds

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cr ... bo-ga:s_15
swiftfox

Post by swiftfox »

Chessy is right. The Canadian Wildlife Service(Federal) govt. sets the migratory bird laws. info is on that site. Early Goose season starts Sept 7th in southeren ontario. Don't forget to get your duck stamp

Dog has been sitting in the back yard at dusk watching them fly over our house for the last week and looking at me like "why are we not shooting them." :D
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

So if it is a federal law, not provencial, who enforces it?
WMU 91
Boo string
chessy

Post by chessy »

Pydpiper FROM what i have been told... the mnr has been asked to do it.. the cws (canadain wildlife service) is the one who enforces it ... the mnr does not have to do it from what i have been told, that said i dont total under stand how that is, i think the mnr is mandated to enforce it ..
terry

Post by terry »

I work for MNR and I asked our Enforcement Supervisor. Conservation Officers enforce the mig. bird regulations on behalf of the CWS. MNR drew up the regulations from what I have been told and CO's have federal officer rights and enforce them. We do the same with Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans regs. By the way, the province does not get any reimbursement for basically doing the feds job.

Regarding crossbows, you cannot use them to hunt migratory birds. When I asked why, the answer was that the regs were probably written before crossbows were popular. I looks like it could be changed to include crossbows if there was a push by the public or group. Probably that will happen sometime in the future. That would be a good project for Excalibur to spearhead! Hope this all helps a bit.
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

thanks for all the great info guys, maybe once i learn how to hunt everything else ontario has to offer(that could take a while), i will put some effort into hunting birds.
Team Dryfire
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

So when they mention a long bow, does a recurve bow (still a traditional bow) count as allowable?

Not that I would try it, I'm not that skillfull.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
terry

Post by terry »

I've asked one of my officers your question and I'll get back to you with an answer.
terry

Post by terry »

LeGrand wrote:So when they mention a long bow, does a recurve bow (still a traditional bow) count as allowable?

Not that I would try it, I'm not that skillfull.
I checked and I was told that a recurve counts as a long bow. It's only a crossbow that doesn't make the grade. Good luck this fall!
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

:lol:

Thanks, but the only way I could shoot a geese for proper kill with my recurve, is if I had my foot on the geese's neck and shot it right there (would be hard to miss, maybe not my foot :shock: :wink: ), I don't even want to think about trying on ducks.

8)
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.