aluminum vs carbon

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

leaf fan

aluminum vs carbon

Post by leaf fan »

I've been hunting with aluminum bolts with my exomag for a couple of years now.I've been thinking of changing to corbon bolts.What are the pros and cons of carbon bolts and which ones should i buy.
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i have shot both, but after seeing a carbon shatter, i have never shot another. eating a piece if shattered carbon ,dont want to think about it.

h .j.
they say he is still up there.
Digger

Post by Digger »

I have been shooting carbon shafts from my compounds since 1995 and carbons in my crossbows since 2002. I have not shattered a shaft in a game animal to date. I have 4 compounds and 5 xbows and approx. 12 carbon arrows and bolts for each bow I own. Carbons are either straight or broken. Doubt I'll ever go back to aluminum.
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Rich

Post by Rich »

I use carbons because of their durability. I have bounced carbons off trees, the ground, smacked them against each other and picked them up and re-shoot them without any change in performance. Try doing that with an aluminum arrow. As far as shattering, I have over 55 bow/xbow kills and have never had a carbon shatter. I've had them break clean when the animal rolled on them, but never shatter.

Rich
deerman

Post by deerman »

Yes when carbon arrows first came out they would splinter, but those days are long gone. You can shoot a deer with a carbon and reuse it, but with the ALm. they will bend. :)
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

maby i should re think carbon, sounds like they are much better now,it has been quiet a while since the shattering happened,it is hard to get out of my mind.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
deerman

Post by deerman »

Gold Tip laser 2's are a great hunting arrow.
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I use both aluminum and carbon . Both have been great for me . Beman Thunderbolts for carbon shafts, 2216 for aluminum .
navaman

Post by navaman »

hatchet jack wrote:maby i should re think carbon, sounds like they are much better now,it has been quiet a while since the shattering happened,it is hard to get out of my mind.

h.j.
last year i freaked out when i read about the shatterering, and the splinters, and all that other stuff BUT carbons are the way to go IMHO. when my step-son was here awhile back he ruined a couple of my aluminums by missing the target and hitting other things. :oops: it's true that carbon will break before it bends . a lot like this stubborn old man. only on certain things though. :wink:
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
leaf fan

Post by leaf fan »

Thanks for all the info guys.I knew you would come through for me.