Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

danbo

Spitfire Mechanical Broadheads

Post by danbo »

Hi:

As a newly registered member, I first want to let everyone know how much I have enjoyed the previous questions and answers. As a newbie to crossbow shooting, I have learned a lot from all of you by just being on this site.

My question: I recently purchased the spitfire broadheads to use in this upcoming season. The three cutting blades are currently pretty well locked in their shooting mode. They seem rather tight when I pull them open. My question is are they too tight and will they open properly. I noticed that each blade has a small screw for adjustment. Do I need to loosen them slightly or are they fine as is and will open fully on impact???

Thanks in advance.
danbo

Post by danbo »

ANYONE??????????????????? :?:
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry I do not shoot the Spitfires. I really like the WASP Jak-Hammers 125 gr. W/ 1 3/4" cut. I put two orings on and they work great or I shot slick tricks.
turkeylips

re. spitefires

Post by turkeylips »

i re assure you that they will open perfectly on impact. i have shot them for 3 years without a failure. do not lossen the screws that will make the blades come out of your point. my partner and i have used these with much sucsses.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Tried the spitfire once when using a compound bow, punctured through a deer at 8 yards, did not open until it hit the dirt. Needless to say, small blood trail, did not recover deer. Will never use them again.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tried the spitfire once when using a compound bow, punctured through a deer at 8 yards, did not open until it hit the dirt. Needless to say, small blood trail, did not recover deer. Will never use them again.
curmudgeon. . .You didn't recover the deer. If the spitfire was open in the dirt . . .how do you know it didn't open until it hit the dirt? You were too close, at 8 yards, you should have just thrown your knife. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
striper

Spitfires

Post by striper »

I have used them for 4 years, and have had 100% success (5 for 5). All dropped within 100 yards. I don't care which broadhead you use, you have to put the bolt in the engine room. I have been told for years that mechanicals close when they exit the animal. In fact, in my game room, I have a mechanical that is still buried up in a limb AFTER it exited the animal. The entry and exit wound in the deer gave a nice blade cross indicated the blade opened, closed and opened when it penetrated the branch. striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
taxman

Re: Spitfires

Post by taxman »

striper wrote:I have used them for 4 years, and have had 100% success (5 for 5). All dropped within 100 yards. I don't care which broadhead you use, you have to put the bolt in the engine room. I have been told for years that mechanicals close when they exit the animal. In fact, in my game room, I have a mechanical that is still buried up in a limb AFTER it exited the animal. The entry and exit wound in the deer gave a nice blade cross indicated the blade opened, closed and opened when it penetrated the branch. striper
ive had the same experience. 3 spitfires came w/ my 10pt that i bought 2 years ago. shot 3 deer w/ those spitfires. all deer went down in less than 40 yards. i have a friend who shot a 280lb bear last year using spitfieres--great broadhead. sorry but i dont believe that they didnt open on the 8 yard shot..
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I like the Spitfire and plan to use them this season. For those considering using them this may interest you.

http://www.reapersblade.net/page8.html
danbo

Post by danbo »

Thanks for all the comments on the Spitfires.

I may just go with the 100 grain Mag. Slick Trick. I KNOW THEY WILL BE OPEN ON IMPACT. So why take a chance??? The ones I have just seem too hard to open and appear to "lock" in the close position.

Again thanks to all for responding.
navaman

Post by navaman »

danbo wrote:Thanks for all the comments on the Spitfires.

I may just go with the 100 grain Mag. Slick Trick. I KNOW THEY WILL BE OPEN ON IMPACT. So why take a chance??? The ones I have just seem too hard to open and appear to "lock" in the close position.

Again thanks to all for responding.
now there's a good decision !
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."