is this true?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

navaman

is this true?

Post by navaman »

at one time i had a friend of mine give me my old aimpoint red dot. i gave him a new weaver K 2.5 fixed power. he gave it back to me today and during the course of our conversation i told him i wanted to put it on my vixen but was worried about the heavy recoil. he said he knew a guy that had the same scope on a 45/70 lever gun for years and the scope was able to take it. i sure hope this is true because with the low magnification i don't shake near as much as i do with a 4X or stronger scope. i put it on the vixen and it feels real good. being as how i can't afford a scope at this time this would be a very good thing if it could take it. it has a duplex reticle which gives me 3 aiming points. can't wait to hear from you guys.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
Boo

Post by Boo »

The old Aimpoints were successfully used on 45s in IPSC. Those guns are terribly abusive to anything put on them. I had one and nothing ever happened to it as far as recoil went. The batteries leaked and it frigged the scope.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
navaman

Post by navaman »

yeah, i loved the aimpoint but i'm shooting heavy arrows with a vixen and i needed more than one aiming point. so i'm hoping the weaver with it's duplex reticle is going to be handle the heavy recoil of the crossbow.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I wouldn't want to bet on whether it will take it or not. Some of the older scopes were pretty fragile in comparison to the better ones made today.
I'd put it on and see what happens. If accuracy suddenly falls off you can always put the red-dot back on.
wabi
navaman

Post by navaman »

i may get lucky. this particular weaver K2.5 was manufactured in 2004. their website is claiming it will handle heavy recoil. i always expect the worst and pray for the best. :wink:
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'll bet you could put any scope designed for a heavy spring-piston air rifle on a crossbow with no worries ... and you can get some of them cheap. They're designed for use at similar ranges, too. Just an idea. :D
Grizz
tuskntine

Post by tuskntine »

Actually you shake just as bad as with the 4x . You just don't notice it at lower magnification .
Love your neighbor, but keep your guns oiled.
navaman

Post by navaman »

bstout wrote:There shouldn't be any problem using the Weaver. I'm assuming it's a rifle scope. A shotgun scope would work better. A crossbow scope would work best.
you're right bob. a crossbow scope would be better but mama says we ain't got the funds right now. weaver says this 2.5 X is built for heavy recoiling brush guns and the duplex reticle will give me the three aiming points i'm wanting. i like the size of it too and the way it fits. looks good. :D
marmot

Post by marmot »

I know that it is late in the game, but Weaver (Meade Instruments) will reset the parallax on that scope to fifty yards for a nominal fee. Additionally, I would not worry about using the K2.5 on a crossbow. Weavers hold up on spring piston air rifles, and they eat scopes! In fact, I had a Weaver RV7 on my Weihrauch HW95 (a.k.a. Beeman R-9) for over a year without a problem. I moved that scope to a Savage Mk IIG only because I purchased an AO scope for the HW95.

BTW, the K2.5 (along with the entire Weaver line) is made by Light Optical Works in Japan. Light Optical Works manufacturers high-quality scopes that are sold under high-end American brand names (e.g., Bushnell Elite and Nightforce scopes). IMHO, Light Optical Works produces a higher quality product than does Leupold.
navaman

Post by navaman »

WOW ! :shock: thanks marmot. i guess i've got a scope that's better than what i thought. thanks again. :D