2213 Aluminum Arrows ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vapredhunter

2213 Aluminum Arrows ?

Post by vapredhunter »

I have 20 new 2213 xx75 easton superlite arrows. I took them to the local bow shop to have them cut down to bolts, buy the inserts and flat nocks so I could refletch them.

When I walked in I explained to the archery guy what I wanted to do he said they were to light for my crossbow. I told him the Excalibur webstie displayed 2213 as an option in there arrow selection.

So he then got an additude and started fumbling through his nocks. He then started trying to put a half moon nock on telling me that would work as good as the flat nocks because he didn't the flat ones that fit. I then took the arrow back told him not to do me any favors, he then said he was just trying to keep me from getting hurt by shooting a bolt that was to light for my crossbow.

So my question, can I shoot 2213's with feather fletch? The guy at the archery shop is not going to be any help so where can I buy the nocks, and inserts and what size do I need for 2213's? According to the EX website they should be close in weight to the carbons I shoot now. Thanks any information would be helpful. Chris,
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

To answer your questions: Yes, you can shoot them, best to keep them above the recommended weight. As to your next question: Where to buy nocks and inserts; inserts are available at any archery shop, and many sport shops have them, my local Gander Mt. sells them, and then there is shopping via the internet. Flat end crossbow nocks for 2213 are another matter, if per chance you find some place that makes/sells them, contact me immediately! I've been searching for sometime, to no avail. Most people just use inserts in lieu of the flat nock. I find this wears my string servings faster, so I don't particularly care to use them. Whatever floats your boat.

Regards and good luck
Joe
PS: I'm not kidding about the flat nocks for 2213, if you find them PM me post haste!
huntin1

Post by huntin1 »

I have a 185lb Exomag, all I've ever shot in it are 20" XX75 2213"s. I use an insert at both ends, 5" Elite Plastifletch vanes, and 125 grain Thunderhead broadheads. My arrows come in at 405 grains. Excalibur recommends a minimum of 350 grains.

As others have said, a small tube cutter is all that is needed to cut your arrows down, then install your inserts and fletch. A regular insert works exceptionally well as a flat nock, just smooth them down as indicated by bstoudt.

I have bought 2213 insets in bulk from Bowhunters Superstore, and on ebay.

huntin1
"Never corner something meaner than you"
wabi

Post by wabi »

2213s with 100 grain points and feather fletching will be close to minimum weight. They will shoot fine in an Excalibur! If you want to use inserts for nocks, simply chuck them in a drill and spin them against a piece of steel wool and smooth the edge to prevent serving damage. (easier to smooth them off before you glue them in :wink: )
For better FOC use 125 grain points, they will still give good velocity.

Now the negative aspect - 2213s are not as strong as 2216s or 2219s. They are easier to bend if you hit a solid target, or remove them carlessly. I have used them and they will shoot fine, but until I learned to be extra careful in pulling them from a target I did ruin a few. :oops:
wabi
vapredhunter

Post by vapredhunter »

thanks for your help
[img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f69/vapredhunter/Hunting/yoterun.gif[/img]
wabi

Post by wabi »

Forgot to mention it, but if you shoot foam targets Dan Miller's arrow puller will save a lot of swearing and gnashing of teeth. :lol: Just grab the shaft at a point close to the target, give it a 1/4 turn to "break it loose" and pull straight back. Easy and no damage to the shaft!
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... row+puller
wabi