What broadheads to use

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

Bstout is correct in saying it is personal. There are lots of broadheads that work. This year I think I will hunt with the G5 Striker. It is a cut on contact head with replaceable blades. It truly is scarey sharp and does not dull easily. They fly just as well as the Magnus 4 Blade Stinger which fly amazing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
navaman

Post by navaman »

got my buck last year in wisconsin (bstout, ya'll got some great deer up there) with a G-5 100 grain montec. it did the job very well. entered through the left shoulder area, went through the heart like a hot knife through butter and shattered the right leg bone . i still have that broadhead and would not hesitate to use again right now if i needed to. that is a pretty awesome BH ! but i'm tempted to try the slick tricks this year because i've heard great things about them too. . you probaly wouldn't go wrong with either but i can only testify to the montec . great luck to you this year. :wink:

BTW, framing houses is what made me pick up the crossbow too. the first was a barnett. thank God i have an excalibur now.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The way some of you guys talk about mechanical broadheads it reminds me of the vertical bow guys talking about crossbows. :shock: Did I actually write that? :lol:

There are a lot of excellent mechanical broadheads on the market today. I have been testing some mechanicals and they are flying "just like field points". Heck, they should they are basically field points. All open upon impact, not before. They definitely have advantages over the fixed blade broadheads. I will be shooting mechanical broadheads this season because of the advantages.

However . . .if you are taking a 30 yard shot or less, then just about any broadhead will get the job done if you do your part first. It is strickly a personal preference issue.

I have not decided on which mechanical I will end up shooting. Right now I am using NAP Scorpions. If I were to use a fixed blade, it would be a Slick Trick.

Just make sure your broadheads are on the bolt straight and fire away. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I have been only hunting 3 years and have tried many kinds in the target,but usaully leave them there.I've takeing 6 deer with Grim Reaper mechanicals.They don't use the rubber o-rings,they are camed.I have never had one open before the target (paper tested).They make a good hole at any angle and fly like a field tip.I have only got three and they are going to be used again this year.
ger34

Post by ger34 »

Gentlemen..I want to say thank you for all your help...by the way things look ...this year it's going to be Slick Tricks.....although...G5 Montek or Striker is running a very close second...Wasp Boss...well...lets just say the jury is out...there has to be SOME reason that Excalibur puts them in their "Right Stuff" package

Thanks Everyone
ddwade

Post by ddwade »

Since I came from the stickbow side I still use Wensel Woodsmans. They are an excellent head that has done well for me over the past several years.
DWinVA
jessejames

Post by jessejames »

I just picked up a set of G5s for my compound, any suggestions with them? they are made by Montec, correct?
thanks
jess
Boo

Post by Boo »

G6 Outdoors is the company. Montec is a one piece three bladed broadhead. They get good reviews in all aspects.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I use the montecs on my compound, and I love them. I have heard one bad review from the tekkens though.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
exocet

Post by exocet »

The WASP Boss heads that came with my right stuff pack Exocet 200 sgoot very well and go right thru a deer like butter!! I will buy nothing else :D

Jack
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

125 G Slick Tricks they fly with my field points to 40 yards. Didn't bother to check beyond that after I put two arrows in the same hole, at 40yards (shooting from a monopod.)

I learned a long time ago never to shoot at the same dot without pulling the arrow first.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Alaspan

Post by Alaspan »

I have to agree with Bob. Slicks are amazingly accurate. And they leave their mark, no question about that. I'm completely sold on them.

Good Luck.

Dave.
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Used 100gr Slick Tricks last year. The doe I shot went about 20 yards then fell to the ground.

Very good holes and blood trail.

This year I will be trying the 125gr Magnums.

Mountain Man