What broadheads to use

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ger34

What broadheads to use

Post by ger34 »

Hello all...Just purchased an Exocet 200 last week....I am curious to find out what everyone uses for broadheads and why?
Thanks

Ger
Livtahunt

Post by Livtahunt »

Slick Tricks :D
Exomax, Equinox, Matrix 380 and now a Scorpyd Aculeus
ger34

Post by ger34 »

thanks for the info guys....keep the comments coming...I am starting to form an opinion....

BTW...does anyone use G5 broadheads? and why?

thanks again
Ger
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I'm currently using Rage mechanicals - 3 blade for whitetails and two blade for black bear. They open up as soon as trocar point is beneath the skin which helps to keep them from skidding on an angle shot. They make one hell of a hole so tracking is easy. They fly exactly like a field point - I like that - no need to adjust sights for broadhead. I see there are still people whinning about the recall - it wasn't a big deal. All you have to do is look at the leading edge of the blades - if it is cut square they are fine - if rounded then return them and Rage will give you new ones. They also include practice points so you don't have to waste a good hunting blade shooting targets.

DrD
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
ger34

Post by ger34 »

interesting ...very interesting...I have heard that mechanicals are not recommended on the Excal x-bows because they have a tendancy to open up on launch...I have heard that fixed blade is better for staying intact i.e. blades not breaking off inside the animal ........alll so confusing.....does anyone have any opinions on the G5 series of broadheads?

http://www.g5outdoors.com/#sec_home3

thanks all
ger34

Post by ger34 »

now THOSE I am familiar with.....I had those with a compound bow I sold 2 years ago( too many years of framing and drywall taping have taken their toll on my right shoulder...couldn't hold it at full draw)...and I know a couple other guys who have used them...but all of them are either recurve orcompound....does it make a difference that I am shooting crossbow?
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I didn't have much interest in mechanicals as I figured it was just one more thing to go wrong. Problem was I couldn't get the W.A.S.P. broadheads to group the way I wanted them to out to 40 yards. So I looked into different types of broadheads and I'm going to give the Spitfire a try. They are very accurate that much I can tell you. This test impressed me.

http://www.reapersblade.net/page8.html
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I used Muzzy 100s for years with my compound and I have great faith in them. When I got my Exocet I could get them to group well. Same with the Wasps. I installed brass inserts and now my Muzzys fly great. I used Wasp Jakhammer mechanicals for turkey and they fly great as well. I double banded them as per instructions and I don't belive they opened up on launch. TC
Exocet77

Post by Exocet77 »

Im all for the 100gr Mag Slick Tricks. After blowing threw my bear and leaving that big of a hole im sold :P I especially like the fact of not re-sighting everything in after using field points.
exocet200hunter

Post by exocet200hunter »

Well I use to use the G5 Tekken's when I was shooting compound, but I'm not a big fan of mechanicals when it comes to crossbow's. I use rather Muzzy 4 blade fixed 100gr or the W.A.S.P 100gr Boss. Stick to one of those 2 and you'll love it.
Don't do what I did and spend a whole bunch of money trying different broadheads, find one you like and stick with that one - It will make things simple for you and over time you'll learn how they fly. In my opnion never buy a broadhead made by N.A.P. - I've nevered had any luck with them. Exspecially the Spitfire's !!! Stick to one of the 2 I mentioned above and you'll have no problem's.
Just give you an example from my field points to my broadheads " using the boss this year" I had to adjust my scope by 2 clicks to the left and I was driving TACK'S with the broadhead's.
Excalibur team know's what there talkin about - and that's why W.A.S.P. Boss broadheads come in your right stuff package.
ger34

Post by ger34 »

so far...heres the standings on the top 3 broadheads

Wasps 2 positive...1 negative

muzzys 2 positive

Slick tricks 4 positive
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

I use and have had great sucess with 125 grain spitfire mech.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Bstout is correct in saying it is personal. There are lots of broadheads that work. This year I think I will hunt with the G5 Striker. It is a cut on contact head with replaceable blades. It truly is scarey sharp and does not dull easily. They fly just as well as the Magnus 4 Blade Stinger which fly amazing.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
navaman

Post by navaman »

got my buck last year in wisconsin (bstout, ya'll got some great deer up there) with a G-5 100 grain montec. it did the job very well. entered through the left shoulder area, went through the heart like a hot knife through butter and shattered the right leg bone . i still have that broadhead and would not hesitate to use again right now if i needed to. that is a pretty awesome BH ! but i'm tempted to try the slick tricks this year because i've heard great things about them too. . you probaly wouldn't go wrong with either but i can only testify to the montec . great luck to you this year. :wink:

BTW, framing houses is what made me pick up the crossbow too. the first was a barnett. thank God i have an excalibur now.
"Be on the alert,stand firm in the faith,act like men, be strong."
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The way some of you guys talk about mechanical broadheads it reminds me of the vertical bow guys talking about crossbows. :shock: Did I actually write that? :lol:

There are a lot of excellent mechanical broadheads on the market today. I have been testing some mechanicals and they are flying "just like field points". Heck, they should they are basically field points. All open upon impact, not before. They definitely have advantages over the fixed blade broadheads. I will be shooting mechanical broadheads this season because of the advantages.

However . . .if you are taking a 30 yard shot or less, then just about any broadhead will get the job done if you do your part first. It is strickly a personal preference issue.

I have not decided on which mechanical I will end up shooting. Right now I am using NAP Scorpions. If I were to use a fixed blade, it would be a Slick Trick.

Just make sure your broadheads are on the bolt straight and fire away. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen