Rattling

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bow hunter

Rattling

Post by bow hunter »

I have had limited success rattling. I find the window of opportunity in my area is fairly short. Usually about 2-3 weeks around mid November. I have also only had smaller bucks respond. I have been using synthetic rattling horns but find them rather bulky and awkward to carry to the stand. Been thinking of purchasing one of those rattling bags. They would seem to be a little easier to carry. I'm wondering if anybody has had any sucess in rattling in bucks with with a rattle bag. Also wondering of you have found them more or less effective than horns.
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

So far, the only buck I have killed I called in with a rattling bag. I'm going to use his antlers to rattle this year. Since he was a six point, the antlers are not too hard to pack in. Those plastic ones they sell are too big to fool with, and the sound they make would likely frighten off the bucks around here.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I cut the tips off my synthetic ones long ago to make them easy to transport in a fanny pack. No difference in sound with the preferred reduced size.

Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

What a great topic and what a great couple of questions. I am looking forward to the responses.

Here is my take. First and foremost, I believe rattling works. That being said, the conditions of that statement are very numerous. I believe it can be boiled down to a "time & place" philosophy.

When I rattle while hunting in Texas I expect to see a lot of action. When I rattle here in Ohio, I know it will not be the same. I'm not sure you can select just one reason for that difference, I believe it to be many reasons.

Texas has 6 million deer. Ohio, well, not close to that amount, and if the truth be known, we are trying to keep it a secret. Of course more are going to respond in Texas. Buck/doe ratio is another huge factor. Why should a buck go fight when he has all the girlfriends he can handle at his disposal. If he is trailing a doe, your not going to pull him off her with rattling. There may be exceptions to this but for the most part, that statement is correct. So place is a factor.

For my two cents worth, I believe time is the more important factor. My experience tells me that I get more response during the pre-rut then at any other time and that includes the actual rut. During the rut I put the rattling bag away and let my "tending" grunt do the work.

I am a bag fan, I admit it. I have used synthetic antlers, real antlers and the rattling bag and notice no difference what so ever. So I go with ease of transport every time.

Any other "bag men" out there?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rattling success depends on how many bucks you have in your area also.. espically big ones;)

rattle bags work fine but I like the bags that have the peices of wood type sticks in them. The plastic ones dont sound very real. Primos makes a good bag to use. I use them mainly after I have been i nthe stand for a few hours and havent seen anything. I always have better luck in the morning also. So far in about 10 years I haven only rattled in about 5 good bucks and 5-6 smaller ones. Rattling doesnt work all the time so dont expect one to run in. Also, always watch downwind when rattling.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I've had small bucks and even does come in to take a look but never anything big. There are so many doe sin my area though the competition for them never gets that fevered, or that's my opinion. I still use them though as hey you never know.
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

I've had success with real antlers but a friend of mine has a bag, which sounds very real to me, then again, that's just sitting in a house trying them out.
Last fall, I was set up for deer near some goose hunters. I'm sure THEY THOUGHT they may have sounded like geese, but as the sound carried, it sounded like a bad bicycle horn to me. Obviously the birds (and deer) thought the same as no one saw a thing all morning. Try your sounds with a buddy who can give you an honest opinion over a little bit of space.
Skeeter

It's not the aptitude but the attitude that determines the altitude!
hatchet jack

Post by hatchet jack »

i rattled a big 10 in for my son a few years ago with horns,,,,,he rattled a big 10 last year with a rattling bag,,,,,bags are good & easy to carry. i used to carry horns over my shoulder until i fell on them then i stopped carrying them.

h.j.
they say he is still up there.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've rattled in both bucks and does. At different times of the year. From early October and into January. It doesn't always work, at least not to my knowledge,as a deer could always sneak in undetected.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"