GROUPING PROBLEMS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREAT OUTDOORS

GROUPING PROBLEMS

Post by GREAT OUTDOORS »

HEY GUYS, BEEN READING ALOT OF POSTS FOR A WHILE.
SEEMS MOST OF YOU HAVE A BIT OF EXPERIENCE W/ X-BOWS.
SO, HERE GOES.
BEEN HUNTING FOR ABOUT 28YRS AND JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST X-BOW
EXCALIBUR EQUINOX W/ RIGHT STUFF PKG. LUV IT...
FIELD POINTS DRIVING TACKS.
WASP BROADHEADS, I HAD TO RESIGHT, UNDERSTANDABLE.
20 YARD GREAT. 30 YARDS GREAT FOR 2 OR 3 SHOTS.
THEN FOR SOME REASON NEXT TWO SHOTS MIGHT GROUP 2IN UP AND LEFT. AND THE CYCLE CONTINUES. IS IT ME , BROADHEADS, SCOPE?
FROM READING SOME OPINIONS ON HERE, SHOULD I TRY MECHANICALS? IF SO WHAT KIND?
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
GREAT OUTDOORS

Post by GREAT OUTDOORS »

HAVE ALREADY CHECKED, EVERY THING IS TIGHT.
BESIDES DAMAGE, WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN MY ARROWS/BOLTS?
HOW BOUT YOUR INPUT ON FIXED OR EXPANDABLES
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

GO yes these xbows are very accurate but seems they are somewhat sensitive as well....just some ideas..HOLD the shot watch it impact the target..do all the obvious things as well chk arrows, loose fletching ..i wouldnt think you would have to readjust for your broadheads if field tips are hitting..I dont..lets see what else...wind mabey...uh...man im not sure some of these other guys may have some ideas..but be patient youll find it bro..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Not an easy answer . . it could be several things. I would start with the scope being tight(which I see you have done).

I did get some WASPs that had the tip cut off center . . .they would not group. Also, after shooting them into the foam layered target, the blades would bend slightly which would cause the braodhead to fly way off target. I could take the blades off and it would fly great. I could not tell the blades were bent by just looking. This could be your problem, slightly bent blades.

Good luck.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
new paradox

Post by new paradox »

I always site in my arrows,by this I mean,mark them 1,2,3,and so on.Shoot them into the same bullseye,I know you can ruin an arrow that way,but it will show you where they are flying.Try it a couple times and you will see the same numbers go into the same spots.I love my Grim Reaper mechanicals they are camed and allways fly like field tips for me.
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

I would just shoot 3 shot groups :D Sorry I couldn't help myself. I was having the same problem and my solution was to add brass inserts (front). I have Gold Tip arrows. Now my broadheads fly great. TC
GREAT OUTDOORS

Post by GREAT OUTDOORS »

THANKS GUYS . I'LL TRY THESE IDEAS TOMORROW AND SEE IF I CAN GET GET IT RIGHT. GOT TO GET READY FOR GAME TIME. SEASON COMES IN HERE THIS SATURDAY.
wabi

Post by wabi »

If the crossbow is grouping fine with field points that would suggest the broadheads are the problem. Many things can cause broadheads to fly erratically. It could be a simple to diagnose problem, like the broadhead not lining perfectly with the shaft, or it could be something really tricky to find.
If you want an easy solution, do like I did and switch to mechanical broadheads. They tend to be a lot easier to tune, because they don't "wind plane" like fixed blades. There are several makes & models to choose from. I like Wasp JakHammers, but they need to be double-banded when used in a crossbow. Some members like more modern designs without bands, but I tried a couple and didn't like the performance on deer. I've shot several deer over the years with 1¾" cut JakHammers and have had a 100% recovery rate, with none going over 80 yards after a hit in the "boiler room". When I thought about the broadheads I've used, the JakHammer is the only one (fixed or mechanical) that has produced the 100% results. I figure "if it aint broke - don't fix it" is good advice, and I'm sticking with the JakHammers again this year.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm assuming you're using a cocking rope to center you string.
Try turing all of your broadheads to the same point in relation to the cock feather (I know you're suing a flat backed nock, this will make everything uniform). Use the rubber o rings if necessary to turn them to the same point.
Check your bolts. Are they all straight.
Check the broadheads to make sure they are straight with the bolt. Check to see if the same arrows are causing the problem. Check vanes to see if they are loose or otherwise not uniform.
Watch your follow through and flinching (yes, flinching. Can't believe how many folks actually flinch with a x bow).
gad

Post by gad »

Does your string are fully stretched? If everything is tight (specially scope) than check your brace heigh and keep an eye on it to see if its changing.

If it becomes shorter, take of your string, put a few twists on it and put it again on the bow.

Also, always cock your bow using the hope cocking aid or other crancking device, to get a perfect alignment of the string.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
taxman

b

Post by taxman »

if you must use mechanicals-i would reccomend 1-rocket steelheads or 2-sptfires. which broadheds are you currently using to get bad arrow flight?
taxman

b

Post by taxman »

forgot about the cocking device. good advice there, guys. always use it. it can make a big difference past 20-25 yards. have you tried Slick Tricks yet?
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

I had a similar problem, could hit 1 inch squares at 20 yds, 3 of 4 would be in the sq, 1 would not, sometimes 2 would not. was not the same bolt each time, some low, some left,some right, never a high one. Checked everything, found nothing. Got my new cabelas catalog this am. It had new vanes in it. .590 high, 2.1 long, looked great. I got my exocet out to see if the would fit in the rail, took one of my gt with a 3 inch duravane, no tip and slid it under the string backwards, much to my suprise where the limbs bolt on there is a plastic spacer between the limb and the tapered aluminum part, sorry dont know what you call it. The plastic was sticking out toward the rail by 1/8 of an inch on both sides. when i rotated my bolt the vanes would hit the plastic shim. I took a utility knife blade, cut the excess off, shot 5 shots with the same arrows and had 5 in the 1 inch sq. My target has 5 one in squares on it. Check yours, mite be the answer.
Ps new vanes wont work as they will hit the aluminum piece that the limbs bolt to.

Good luck, Stosh
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Stosh . . .you are right! I have never had any big issues, but, it seems to me the excess would create problems. I just checked my Exomax and the excess padding is sticking out and the vanes definitely hit. I'm trimming mine tonight. . . thanks!

EDIT . . .Just trimmed the excess off. That was easy. Man . . .this forum is awesome! The vanes are now free to fly. Every once in a while I would have a bolt fly off course. I figured I just pulled the shot or the wind caught it or something . . .maybe this is the answer. Thanks again Stosh.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

[img]http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r118 ... G_8016.jpg

[/img]http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r118 ... G_8017.jpg

After cutting the plastic shim away, ready to try broadheads
All 16 of my gt's