Switching BH's and researching-help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OwnerITO

Switching BH's and researching-help

Post by OwnerITO »

Hello helpful people from this forum: Here goes another long winded topic but I believe it is valid. Lots of questions within it so grab a bag of Oreo's cause here we go :shock:
I will be using the Wasp Boss 100 gr for the first time this year. I have been trying to get all the info I can on these little guys. You know, research so I can have confidence with these BH's. So I go out to my friends and he tells me a story of a friend's friend who died from cutting his wrist open on a BH blade that he didn't know had lodged within a deers cavity. Now most of you know that I had a little girl back in April and I do everything I can to make her safe. I even get up in the middle of the night and feel her belly to make sure she is breathing. PARANOID or what??? You call it. Anyways, I got to thinking, "I am doing all I can to keep my daughter safe, what am I doing to keep myself safe"? So I have been trying to get some feedback on other sites on how strong the Boss' are. Not a lot of feedback on them at all. I know some of you said that it was an excellent broad head and so far (from shooting into a target) I agree. However, I don't want to get into a situation where I will be cutting myself open from a BH blade and dying and leaving my little fatherless so I have pretty well made up my mind to go to the Montec's. Now I have been asking about these but once again, not a lot of feedback. From looking at the Montec I can see how durable they look (one piece, no blades that slide in etc) and I say to myself that these are about as safe of a broad head as I can get. My question is how many people have personal experience with these? Have you also purchased the practice blades? Are they as good as they appear to be? Sorry for the length but I thought I needed to plead my case so I don't sound so foolish on giving up on a broad head that I haven't even fired into a deer yet with. Any feedback would be good. It doesn't even have to be strictly on the Montec. It could be on the Boss as well as I am kinda forced to go with it for at least part of the season this year. Ty all in advance, Stephen. :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've shot Montecs, and even killed deer with them. They are an excellent broadhead. The practice points fly just like the broadhead, and for me the broadhead hits right with field points.
The one bad thing about Montecs is that they usually need sharpened right out of the package. If you get them, I'd recommend buying the diamond stone made to sharpen them (if you don't already have a good diamond stone)
I use Wasp JakHammer mechanicals now, but I also keep a couple Montecs in my quiver. One time I had to trail a deer I had made a poor hit on, and had to shoot her again. In a case like that I want a broadhead that will penetrate from any angle, so I carry the Montecs just in case.
BTW - on the deer I tracked & shot again the Montec worked fine. I had used a Montec for the first shot, but rushed the shot and the deer was quartering more toward me than I thought. I hit one lung, then the intestinal cavity. :( :oops: The second shot, I had to shoot with her bedded & facing me, so I put it through the neck and into the body cavity. It exited in front of a hind leg, and she only went about 50 yards after the shot. That was also the deer that caused me to switch back to aluminum shafts. I found the fletched end of that second arrow (GoldTip Laser II), but never located the point. I figured it stuck in the ground and she broke it when she jumped up, but I don't want arrows that will break that easily and could leave synthetic splinters in the meat.

It's early in the morning and I'm trying to type with a badly mangled finger (hazard of the plumbing trade - I slipped & dropped a commode on my little finger as I was throwing it into a dumpster. Peeled the skin off the tip and probably broke a bone or two again). This reply wasn't quick, or easy! You owe me 2 cups of coffee and half a pack of Oreos! :lol: :lol:
wabi
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

If the sole reason for switching broadheads is in fact the phobia that it might cause, in some way, your untimely demise and thus leaving your new-born daughter fatherless, I would heartily suggest that you persue another hobby. Perhaps one that doesn't involve sharp objects. I'm not trying to be funny here, I'm serious.

Best regards
Joe
Rich

Post by Rich »

I agree with Joe, if you are concerned about slashing your wrists maybe you should take up another sport. There are certainly greater dangers than your concern (i.e. tree stand safety). As far as the Wasps, I think it would almost be impossible for a blade to come loose, the broadhead would have to unscrew for this to happen. It's pretty easy to determine if the broadhead is still inside the animal, entry hole and no exit hole is a good indication. I always try to find my arrow before I start tracking, if the broadhead is intact, no worries. If it is broke in half, be cautious if you can't find the tip. Personal safety is paramount, however, common sense goes a long way.

Rich
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You can not stop living for safety's sake. I almost killed myself at the gym once . . .benchpressing too much weight. Point is . . .people die from all sorts of causes because they get careless. Not just because they do dangerous things. Just don't be careless and you will be fine. If you recover a deer and don't recover the broadhead, then be careful gutting the deer . . .carefully examine the wound and make sure it exits. Still no broadhead, then it's most likely in the dirt somewhere.

If the broadheads are flying straight, then stick with them.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
OwnerITO

Post by OwnerITO »

Heya Rich and pkynojoe: I never said I was terrified of the sport. I am just trying to find a way where I can be that much safer is all. Noone walks across the street without looking unless they want to die. I believe what I am doing is care and concern and I see nothing wrong with it. You are right however. Common sense goes a long way. I have never arrowed a deer so I am just being cautious (over cautious, paranoid etc.) but it is better to be safe than sorry. Better to know all about something and taking precautions then rushing head long into something and hurting yourself or others along the way. TY for the feedback though.
OwnerITO

Post by OwnerITO »

Wabi: Thanks for painfully leaving that long post. It really did help out. My question is: Why did you switch to Wasp JakHammers from the Montec's?
wabi

Post by wabi »

The JakHammers don't have to be re-sharpened (replace the blades after a kill), the JakHammer has a bigger cut (1¾"), I have a 100% recovery rate over the years with JakHammers, they group right with field points from my bow, and they can be shot in practice by simply tying the blades shut with a piece of dental floss without damaging the blades.
I wouldn't shoot them too much in practice, but I like to shoot each arrow/broadhead combination once to be sure there are no accuracy problems.
wabi
hawg hunter

Montec

Post by hawg hunter »

Montec will give you all the pentration so you won't have to worry about broken blades. I've shot deer and hogs from almost every angle , complete passthrough with this BH. As wabi said you have to keep them sharp and this is easily done. I shoot a 175# Exocet and my wife shoots a Phoenix.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm thinkin' you need a metal detecter more than a different broadhead. Fortunately, my Slicks are usually out the other side ot the deer.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I think Summer 4991 has offered you the best answer. Simply check for an exit wound. If there is none and there is no visible bolt, be warned that there MAY be a broadhead, or portion of one in the body.

That's not a big deal, though. You just work a bit more carefully while you gut the animal. Like I say, that's no big deal.

By the way, for someone to bleed to death from an accidental cut from a broadhead still in the body cavity, to me smells like one of those "Urban Myths" we sometimes hear about.

That requires two layers of negligence. The first is to fail to check the animal for exit wound, and if there is none, or a wound showing one less cut than there should be, proceeding cautiously. That's plausible, but easily avoidable.

The other is, after getting cut, (and I doubt that such an accidental cut would be that severe), failing to put on a pressure bandage or tourniquet and going for help. I have to tell you, I'm thinking "horse poop" as I type this. Anyone who has this happen to them must have had hemophelia and ought to know better than to play with ANY sharp objects. Or, he is just so stupid that this is just the Darwin principle at work.

Don't let a silly myth distract you from enjoying your sport.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I shoot the montecs and I just like the fact that nothing can go wrong. That Murphy guy rarely misses an opportunity to show up. I haven't heard good things about G5s mechanical head though. Like Wabi, I also switched back to aluminum shafts to.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
OwnerITO

Post by OwnerITO »

Urban myth, truth...I dunno. To me when I hear that story I think the same thing but when my friend showed me the scar on his hand fom a broad head in the same situation I could possibly believe it. All that out of the way, I just like the security aspect of the Montec. I WILL be using the Wasp Boss this year as I don't have the funds to actually switch atm. I will found out from experience (the great teacher) how I will truly like them. Once I arrow a deer (and I don't doubt that I will) I will have a greater understanding of what these broad heads are actually capable of. In saying that, I remember back to an earlier post and someone said just go out there and learn about deer hunting. It is a better education then you will get from a magazine. Same rule applies here. Until I actually shoot them I cannot say, either way, what they are capable of or not capable of. I thank everyone for posting their thoughts.
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

OK, the people I know who've actually cut themselvews while field dressing a deer (myself included) never did it with a broadhead, they did it with their own knives. If you are concerned, the meatpacking industry actually uses a chain mail type glove for their butchers, seems to me I saw it once in a Cabelas or Bass Pro catalog.

BTW, the only actual injury from a broadhead that I know of while hunting happened years ago to a fellow who lived up the street from me. He hunted with a recurve and was in the habit of keeping an arrow nocked (bad idea) while walking through the woods. One day, while stepping over a fallen tree and the bow at his side, he drove the broadnead into his lower calf, cutting a tendon and bleeding profusely. Ended his bow season that year.
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Is this for real? Your arrow and bhead should pass through the deer. All you have left to worry about is old bheads lodged in the deer from a shot they survived. Get the chain mail gloves and some sleep, lol.
"Eze 18:21"