"Kenton" What do you know about Bluetounge.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

diesel

"Kenton" What do you know about Bluetounge.

Post by diesel »

I was reading and many of the States around Ohio are having a lot of
EHD or Bluetongue problems this year. I told it is caused by Midge or what we have call no-see-um's.
They lay eggs in the nose of the deer and by the time its over the deer runs a very high feaver and dies. Because of the high feaver the deer are often found dead at or in the water.
I have not herd of this till now. I'm told IL, IN, KY, PA, WV, and Missouri are all having trould with Bluetonge this year. Has there been any cases in Ohio this year ? If so, how much ? Can our pets get it ?
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

You are correct diesel, it is a virus carried by midges. If all of the surrounding states have had cases this year, Ohio probably has, but I haven't heard of any, but its hard to tell. Once a deer is infected they expire in less than a week, which makes it hard to track. It sounds like a week of excruciating pain because the internal hemorrhaging causes everything to swell. This appears to turn their tounges blue. It has never been linked to any other animal execpt deer. Supposedly, its even safe to eat venison from these deer, but boy that doesn't sound like a good idea. I have heard that this virus seems to populate areas during drought-like conditions, but I don't know why that would be.

Everything I have heard suggests its just one of those things that exists and we must work around. I guess I wish I knew a little more.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
diesel

Post by diesel »

I was also thinking that cows have gotten the virus but no sure.
Maybe Dr. Dan can let us know.
Rich

Post by Rich »

EHD is very common here in VA, I know the city park in Newport News had a huge die off a couple years ago. I spoke with the Ranger and he said they were finding 20-25 dead deer a day. They are having a problem now in the western part of the state. Here is a link with more info about EHD:

For Immediate Release
August 23, 2007

Deer Hemorrhagic Disease Likely Source of Die-Offs

Richmond, VA – The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) has confirmed that the cause of death of a deer in Cumberland County was Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. Hemorrhagic Disease (HD) is a common viral infectious disease of white-tailed deer, and outbreaks occur annually in the Southeast. Since late July, VDGIF wildlife biologists and conservation police officers have investigated reports of suspected outbreaks from Allegheny, Shenandoah, Nelson, Essex, Bedford, Scott and Hanover Counties. Currently, other states across the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic are experiencing HD outbreaks.

HD typically occurs in late summer and early fall. The disease poses no threat to humans or domestic pets such as dogs and cats. Biting flies, commonly known as biting gnats, transmit the viral disease. Hemorrhagic Disease cannot be spread by direct contact between infected animals. Deer that contract the disease often die rapidly. The number of deer affected by the current outbreak is variable. While it is not possible to determine the number of deer affected by the current outbreaks, some decrease in deer numbers in the affected areas of the Commonwealth may be expected.

Not all deer that contract the disease will die. Surviving deer may be emaciated or appear lame due to hoof damage. High fever due to the virus may cause deer hooves to crack, peel, or even slough off. As always, hunters should not consume deer that were obviously sick when killed.

There is no vaccine or medication to combat this deer disease. HD outbreaks will continue to occur until frost slows down the insects that carry the virus. The best defense is to maintain healthy deer herds at a population size that is suitable for the habitat.

The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries is continuing to monitor the situation and will continue to provide technical assistance to affected landowners. Additional information about Hemorrhagic Disease can be found on the Department’s Web site http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/diseases/hd.asp

Members of the public who observe sick or dead deer in their area and suspect HD may be the cause, should report it to a wildlife biologist at one of the following Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries regional offices: Charles City (804-829-6580); Forest (434-525-7522); Fredericksburg (540-899-4169); Marion (276-783-4860); or Verona (540-248-9360).

It is the mission of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to maintain optimum populations of all species to serve the needs of the Commonwealth; to provide opportunity for all to enjoy wildlife, inland fish, boating and related outdoor recreation; and to promote safety for persons and property in connection with these outdoor activities. For more information, visit the Department web site at http://www.dgif.virginia.gov

Rich
saxman

Post by saxman »

You people and your midgets.always blaming midgets,Now you think they are out there painting the deers toungs purple.
Come on guy's,we can do better than this out right attack on the little people
They can do anything we can.

Oh.It's Midges? Never mind.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
joeumholtz

Post by joeumholtz »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe Umholtz
Harrisburg, PA
717-657-7896

Check out my portfolio at:

http://Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz

or

http://www2.Writing.Com/authors/joeumholtz/blog
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

This is all I have heard about it in Ohio... Come on killing frost - I'm tired of canning tomatoes and mowing grass.

http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/Admn/New ... rnOhio.pdf
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
diesel

Post by diesel »

Thanks for the info guys.
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

saxman wrote:You people and your midgets.always blaming midgets,Now you think they are out there painting the deers toungs purple.
Come on guy's,we can do better than this out right attack on the little people
They can do anything we can.

Oh.It's Midges? Never mind.
Man, you guys in the states have it real bad. Heck, I had to read the thread just to be sure. I'd never heard of bluetounges, blue balls yes but sheesh you poor guys.
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

There is an estimated 1 to 2 thousand dead in S.W. Pa., or this is a projected loss, Im not quite sure, from what I am reading. This is about a 4 or 5 county area. I myself have found 2 dead. A coworker found 7 dead on his farm last night and another coworker found 8 on his farm. All have been found near water.Creeks or ponds. I will take a hike Sunday and look some more.
I hope we get a frost real soon, but Summer is hanging on tough here.
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Article in todays "The Morning Journal" about this Mysterious disease called "EHD".

Stated what Kenton did and is more down south at the border so-far :twisted:

If interested in reading more you can go here:

www.MorningJournal.com

Look in the Outdoors section and the article is by Jonathan Shoemaker.
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

hey Sax! how come you never answer you pm's?

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I worked in Northeast Ohio this summer and all of the deer research done is in southeast ohio so I don't know much about Ohio's situation this year.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Just about all the states that had drought conditions have an epedimic of EHD going on. That covers a LOT of states.

Tenneseee has been hit REAL hard.

Yes, come on FROST..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
marmot

Post by marmot »

EHD is a member of a family of diseases known as hemorrhagic diseases. They are called hemorrhagic diseases because they cause the organs in the body to hemorrhage (bleed). Some hemorrhagic diseases that attack humans, like Ebola and Marburg, tend to liquefy the organs. The hemorrhagic diseases that attack humans are classified as biosafety level 4 agents, which makes them the deadliest biological agents known to man. Hemorrhagic diseases kill quickly, but some people and animals do survive these nasty viral attacks and develop immunity in the process.

One last thing: the midge is not the host. It is merely the vector, just as the deer tick is the vector for Borrelia burgdorferi (the bacteria that causes Lyme disease). In the case of Borrelia burgdorferi, the reservoir host is the deer mouse (the deer mouse is also the reservoir host for a hemorrhagic virus that occurs in the American Southwest known as hantavirus). The reservoir host for EHD is not known at the present time. However, if history provides any clues, it may be another rodent, so be kind to snakes! :)