[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Tyler and I are in for a friendly contest. I'll need 1 hunter to join the Carolina team. Any takers ?

Father and Sons count as 2 or 1. Doesn't matter matter to me at all, he killed 2 bucks and 2 big does last year and I only killed 1. :shock:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I'd be in.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

sure, lets do that. If anyone needs a team, look for Deer Contest Teams and post three guy/girls. If you are not apart of a team, we'll put your name in a hat and randomly draw.

Sound Good?

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I'm in, hey kenton do back porch shooting count :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
huntman

Post by huntman »

Im in.... im sure there are some hunters close to me..... peter p you in?
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

Just bumping this up.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thanks for the bump..the rules sound good since mostly everyone can measure spread and how many points LOL :D

the only thing im worried about is alot of ties score wise since im sure most will bay 8pt's and roughly 17-19 inches wide

one suggestion would be maybe giving pts based on spread, so if the buck is 19 inches inside(or outside) then the hunter gets 19 pts. If its 21 inches, then the hunter gets 21 pts? Have it on a simple scale like 22.4inches counts as 22 pts and if its 22.6inches them you round up to 23pts. Thats just a suggestion, but whats listed here is better than nothing and would make for a fun sport :D

the next question would be, when is the final date to submitt? Some of us kill atleast 3 bucks and 1 will of coarse score more than the other. Can we hold out submitting a buck untill the last day? Or can we delete the first entry and re submitt the bigger deer? Or is the one you enter the one you stick with :D

im just glad to see members stepping up to do this 8)
leaf fan

Post by leaf fan »

Sounds like fun.Count me in
leaf fan

Post by leaf fan »

I hunt in the Ruscom area and i'm going for one week rifle hunting in Godrich if anyone is interested in teaming up.
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

one suggestion would be maybe giving pts based on spread, so if the buck is 19 inches inside(or outside) then the hunter gets 19 pts. If its 21 inches, then the hunter gets 21 pts? Have it on a simple scale like 22.4inches counts as 22 pts and if its 22.6inches them you round up to 23pts. Thats just a suggestion, but whats listed here is better than nothing and would make for a fun sport
I thought about this but I think it could cause more questions about scores plus it factors in any minor miscalculations. Other's thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm also under the impression that the cards you lay are the cards you play. Meaning that the buck you submit is your buck.

I don't want to run a dictatorship so other imput is welcome and I will try and please as many as possible. Good to get this ironed out now though.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Is there a time limit after the harvest as to when the submission must be made? I mean can we wait until the end of the season. Which brings me to my next question, when does the contest close?
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Im in, but dont know if anyone would want me on their team. I have no Doe Tags and am only allowed one Buck so wouldn't accumulate many Points for the Team even if I score.
LV2HNT

Post by LV2HNT »

I was going to say that it sure would be nice if we could make it two bucks and two does, or any combination of bucks and does to make a total of 3 or 4 deer. I guess that some will not have the tags to do so though. Here are some issues/suggestions that I have thought of that should be concidered. I hope you don't mind Kenton. Sorry about the length too.

What if teams were put together according to their number of tags instead of teammates? For example, say the allowable number of submitable deer was two (using 2 for the example) per person, either sex. A 3 man team with many tags could submit six deer total. So in cases like Golden Eagles where he only has one tag, he could join a team with 5 other members who also only have one tag. Or he could join a team with one other member who has one tag and two other members with two tags each. In this case the number of teammates would vary but the maximum amount of submitable deer would remain the same making it fair for all (as long as it is either sex for all deer), except for the number of hunters of a team in the woods at a time.

Also just a little thing about my personal cicumstances. I don't need 4 deer this year so I will not shoot more than I need for the sake of winning a contest (allthough I am affraid some will). I may shoot more and donate the meat but that depends on my financial situation and the heards health at the time. As of right now I have no intentions of shooting that many so I feel I would hurt my teams chances of winning. I am ok with whatever kenton decides though.

Also, Kenton, you mentioned that the tag has to be in the pic that is submited. There may be a problem with that because there are atleast a few states that only require the deer to be checked in by phone. I think the hunter is issued a number as confimation of the deer being checked but that is it. Can the hunter write the number on a piece of paper and show that in the picture? Or do you mean that you want the actual tag that is placed on the deer at the time of kill in the pic? That could be a problem too because I put the tag on the deer at the time of kill and then I check him in down the street where they take the tag away and give me a different tag that says the deer has been checked and gives it's weight, age, weapon used, etc. If I don't have my camera with me I won't be able to take a pic of the deer with the original tag or I may not have time to do so because deer shot at sunset have to be drug out and driven to the station within an hour after sunset or it is big, big trouble. I suggest that either a pic of the after check in tag be allowed or a pic of the time of kill tag and the hand written cofirmation number together be allowed. They should also have to be close enough in the pic to be identified while still being able to see the deer well enough to identify it as the one shot and submitted.

To stop people from holding on to deer to see if they can get something better there should be a deadline for reporting. Like one or two weeks after the date of kill which would be reported on the check in slip in my state but I don't know about other states or what would work for people doing phone ins. Any suggestions?

It would also be great if someone can post some pics using a mount to explain how the measurments will be made for those of us that are clueless. That way we will avoid confusion when the time comes and we will have a set of guidelines to follow when taking pics of our deer. Would you want everyone to post pics of the buck they are submitting with a tape measure showing or verrifying what they are reporting as far as measurments?

If there does end up being a tie do we leave it at that or should we let the members vote who they think should win based on photos?

The contestants should all report when their states deer season ends. Here, the last day of the regular gun hunting season is the first or second Saturday in January. I would say the contest should end then even though we have extended archery seasons in urban areas where populations are high. So I think that should be the contest end date for VA hunters. Other states will vary depending on their seasons. Some will end earlier than others so they will have to wait till every states/provinces seasons are over for a winner to be determined.

Also, is it possible for a member to enter and have say two of his friends who arn't members of the site on his team? I don't think it would be a good idea to allow it unless it is a situation where a member wants to include his kid or kids like in Ray's case.

I can allready tell that there will be many ways that people could cheat at this so I hope no one will take it that seriously or be that disshonest. :evil:
Last edited by LV2HNT on Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day anywhere else.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords ... etail+Deer

This shows you how to measure your spread.

In ohio the season runs till the first week of february. Does anyone elses season go longer than that?

I hope that noone would kill a unneeded deer to win this contest! In the orginal post Kenton made it pretty clear the prizes will not be worth compromising your integrity. This contest is more so for fun, and to see what others on the forum are doing in there seasons. I sure hope people dont get out of control to try to win this! It will just ruin what I beleive to be a good thing!