Flashlights

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

Flashlights

Post by raydaughety »

Like everything else these days, items like flashlights are abundant in different styles, sized, ect. What do you guys think would be a good averaged price flashlight. Thanks for the help.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Did someone say flashlights.. :D :D

Here is your best bet for the brightest, smallest flashlights around. The Cree based lights will knock your socks off. These things fit in your pocket unoticed and have the light output equivelent to about 6 3D cell Maglights turned on at once. Regulated, no bulb. These are the gems of the flashlight world! (without paying Surfire's prices)
The guys name is David and gives free worldwide shipping..

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... 133f4f7d96
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
jamesghoward

Post by jamesghoward »

If you want to check out flashlights, go to www.dealextreme.com. They have a wide selection of the cree lights. Also, check out www.candlepowerforums.com for info on all types of lights. I have some of the low price Cree lights and I am really impressed.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a flashlight that uses 3-AAA batteries that I picked up at WalMart last year. I'd have to read it to see if it has a name or model number. It has just the controls I like - 1 push-button switch for on/off. :lol:
Most importantly, I can see a blood trail with it!
One of them fancy new bulbs I don't understand a thing about (luxeon I think) that makes batteries lasts for hours and supposedly the bulb lasts for years.
Also bought a conversion kit for the old AA maglite to convert it to LED. Not really bright, but a good walking light.
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Ray,

I use an LED headlamp that has three settings. Red, white, and spot. Its great because its hands free going in/out and very helpful if you have to field dress a deer in the dark. The red doesn't kill you night vision. You just have to be careful not to look at the person you are talking too or you will blind them.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

SureFire !!! Expensive but the brightest and best made.

DrD
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ray,

In addition to my hat light, Surefire mini-mag light, I also carry a Pelican flashlight http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-ste ... hroud.html. PM me your address and I will send you one (I've aquired a few extras).

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I bought that green LED headlight last year.. I think its made by streamlight or someone close to that name. I usually always carry a mini mag light in my bag though just in case. You will be surprised how lights tend to get turned on and when you need them the battery is dead :shock:

I need a 1mil watt walmart spotlight in my truck which I use when tracking deer after a shot. Its no need to carry a huge light into the woods if you dont need it :D
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

crazyfarmer wrote:I You will be surprised how lights tend to get turned on and when you need them the battery is dead :shock:
:D
I have had the same problem with mine. The push button switch is on the side so I took the cover from a pill bottle and rubberbanded it over the push button switch. No more accidental turning on. I also carry a minimag and a set of spare batteries, just in case.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I picked up a Dorcy 3W Luxeon flashlight at Best Buy ealier this year. I think it takes 3 AAA batteries and produces a very bright white light which I am looking forward to using for tracking! It cost $29.95 plus taxes.

Mountain Man
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

jh45gun wrote:Flashlights are good but NOTHING Beats a Colman Lantern at night for tracking deer. Lights up an area a flashlight cannot and last longer than most batteries too for a standard flashlight. I am not talking about the battery type with the light tubes in them but the Real deal gas ones either white gas or Propane and that uses mantles. Plus with a Coleman Gas lantern you can hang it from a branch or set it on the ground for lots of light while gutting a deer. For some reason also that Gas light seems to pick up blood real well.
you would be surprised how much a 3mil power spotlight lights up the woods also.. looks like the sun is out in their when its on LMAO. One bad thing about early season night tracking is that hornets and other insects love the light :P

lanterns would be ideal though since you could hang them anywhere, espically when field dressing the deer 8)
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Flashlights used to use bulbs, then came LED's, them came Luxeon Stars, now the newest, brightest most efficient emitter is called a Cree.
I own almost every model Surefire makes, great company, great warranty, overpriced illumination tools. They are now falling behind due to their unwillingness to jump on the Cree wagon.
Fenix has almost as good of quality as Surefire at a fraction of the price, just as bright, just as waterproof, just as small.
As with anything else you have to decide what you want, I carry a Surefire E1l and Surefire L4 at all times (along with others), one is an immense wall of light the other is better for throw, either is noticable in a pocket.. The Fenix gives the best of both worlds plus they have variable output, very very important in the woods! Nothing like hitting the button on a 120 Lumen flashlight to get a quick peek around, blind as a rock once you turn it back off..
Batteries are another issue, AA and AAA are inexpensive and readily available but in alkaline they have no performance in the cold. If you need a cold weather light buy one that uses lithium, the weather has no effect on it's ability to dump current out. If you want rechargable you can get Lithium ion.
The best part of todays luxeon/Cree lights is they are regulated, this means that from the second you turn them on they remain at a constant brightness until the batteries are depleted.
This shelf used to be above my bed, my last light cost $1300 US and fits in the palm of my closed hand, once that arrived the wife decided the shelf needed to be moved, it's now in my home office :D . I spent more money on flashlights in 2006 than I made in 1997. :oops: I tried them all, own most of them and still say the Fenix line is the way to go.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Andre Leblanc

Post by Andre Leblanc »

Pydpiper, now I hope your job calls for the use of flashlights! If not, well... nice collection.

Andre
Andre Leblanc
Canoe Builder/Owner
North Bay Canoe and Kayak
www.nbcanoe.com
Equinox w/Lumi-zone Scope
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It does.. :D
I do wildlife control and often find myself in dark places at inconvenient times. Dead batteries or fried bulbs in my job could quickly result in unwanted tooth marks, more unwanted tooth marks.

Ray, I just bought a half dozen Luxeon flashlights last week, if you want one shoot me your address and I will send you one down to play with (and keep).
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice lit up shelf in that pic pydpiper.
Incredible collection.
Norm
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.