Your Basic Hunter Tries Long Range Target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Your Basic Hunter Tries Long Range Target

Post by awshucks »

Thought I'd share this w/ y'all. Me and a buddy [Smokepolehall] went to the benifit shoot in Lenoir City, Tn last Sat. This was for Mark O'Brien, the vet that lost an arm and a leg in Iraq that can't qualify for a disabled xbow permit in NYS. The shop/range that was helping sponsor the event only sold 10 pts and Parkers. The DSA which put the shoot on is supported by Horton. There were only two xbows there, both Excals.

The shoot consisted of a 25 target 3-D shoot, I only made it half way thru that before the heat and humidity got to me. The other event was a "dot shoot" at a small target [2 1/2"] at an unknown range. They had a small polar bear set up, 2 1/2' tall by 8-10" wide at what turned out to be 81 yds. The dot was on it's chest. The cost was $2.00 per shot. The prize was a new compound vert bow or half the $ from the dot shoot.

Smoke couldn't even attempt the dot shoot as his vert hair was wider than the bear!! I had my Phoenix w/ a 2x7 Leupold VxII that I got from Danny Miller. It works on the same principle as the V-zone/L-zone. It also has a 60 yd hair vs 50 yd max on previous two. To say I shot several times would be a classic understatement, lol. I finally noticed this was being held on the clubs 100 yd range and was able to approximate the bear at 80 yds. I put my 60 yd on the target, took notice of where the 40 yd was in relationship to the dot and tried one last time. In 3 shots, I came w/in 1/4 ", 3/4" and hit the bear yet again w/ the last of three shots. Needless to say, I was really tickled! No one actually ever "hit the dot" and one vert shooter got closer than my 1/4".
I gave him hearty congrats.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Nice shooting! Great to hear there are people out there who still take the time to participate in events that can help another guy out, doesn't surprise me a bit it was you!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Shoot on stick! :D