O/T Recommendations On a New Shotgun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mountain Man

O/T Recommendations On a New Shotgun

Post by Mountain Man »

Hi all,

I currently own a 25 year old Remington semi-automatic shotgun and find that I almost never use the "semi-automatic" feature. The gun is very heavy and I walk long distances while grouse hunting.

I'm looking for your recommendation on a very good quality single shot 12 gauge shotgun. I would like it to be light with a longer barrell. No need for any fancy cosmetic features like etchings. Would also like to use it for turkey and deer should the need arise.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mountain Man
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I certainly would consider an over and under if the shotgun was still light to carry. I was originally discounting them because I assumed the extra barrell was adding considerable weight.

I did notice that Lebarons only had a couple of single shot yet had pages and pages of over and under.

So any input into a high quality over and under would also be appreciated keeping in mind I'd like to keep it as light as possible.

Thanks,

Mountain Man
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

If your after grouse why not consider a 20 gauge? Not as heavy as a 12 gauge and you could go with a light pump.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I'm looking for your recommendation on a very good quality single shot 12 gauge shotgun.
At the risk of offending single shot fans there really are very few "very good quality" single shots out there. Most were made for the "budget minded" market and the design and quality reflects that. They also tend to handle like a fence post and kick like a mule. In the years that I spent dealing guns I saw a lot of broken single shots. Broken firing pins, broken springs, broken trigger mechanisms were common on guns that saw a lot of use. They also tend to shoot loose if used heavily.
As for an O/U? Well, that's a great choice for an upland gun but be prepared to spend $800 and up on a new one and $400 and up on a decent used one. My recommendation would be to find a good used Ithaca Model 37 pump gun. Very light weight, most weigh just over 6 pounds, they handle like a dream and are very reliable. Good used ones can be had in the $200-$300 range.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

I use a winchester 20g ranger it's nice to carry and light but I would love a Berretta eurika 20 semi. They have to be one of the lightest semis on the market.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have an Ithaca 37 which I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. It's nicely balanced and comfortable for carrying through thickets and tangles. It's a great gun for wandering around with in grouse territory. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I'd have to vote for Ithaca's 37 in 20 gauge ... a classic ... reliable, light, crisp action, good trigger ... a real winner.

Mine is not for sale. :D
Grizz
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm looking for 12 gauges because I would like to use it for turkey and deer should the need arise (maybe even ducks).

Please keep the recommendations coming!

Mountain Man
TPM

Post by TPM »

Now I'm starting to yearn for my old Ithaca 37. I had one years ago and at the time it was my main gun for carrying in the grouse thickets. Sold it in a moment of weakness. For the past number of years my grouse gun has been a Browning Citori 20ga. O/U. Light and fast for snap shooting in tight cover. :D

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

Well, I thought I had something there. I researched the Ithaca and found a modern day 12 gauge version which can take a deer cleanly 100 yards away. It's called the Ithaca Deerslayer III. Unfortunately, it came in at 11.5 pounds!!!

My price range is about $1000.00.

Mountain Man
TPM

Post by TPM »

If I had $1000 I would buy more than one shotgun. You're trying to get a do-all gun and something is always going to suffer. Pick up a decent Ithaca 37 for upland bird hunting and something like a Remington Express Combo for deer, turkey and waterfowl. The combo package will give you a shot barrel with choke tubes that you can use for turkey with a tight choke and waterfowl with a more open choke. You also get a slug barrel with sights for your deer hunting. Both guns combined would run you well under $1000.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Allan

Post by Allan »

Sorry to steal your thread Mountain Man,
but do those Ithica 37's have a bottom eject?
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Boo

Post by Boo »

I own two Benelli SBE, a Model 37 Feather Light, an 1100, SP 10, a Citori Upland Game and a Browning BSS(20ga). (I also owned a AYA 10 ga, BPS 10 ga, Browning BSS 12ga). Of all the guns I own The SBE can do it all. It has stock shims to adjust drop and cast, its the lightest of all the guns, it cycles by far faster then my other autoloaders and without doubt the most flexible. You can get a slug barrel which is on the other gun and it is super accurate to 180 yards. It really does handle any load and kills what ever I point at. If I were only to own one gun it would be the SBE and maybe the SBE II. Guys talk about recoil but I can't tell you the difference in recoil between all the guns accept the SP 10. It just pushes more. The only recoil I don't like is when there's too much drop of the stock/comb.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Its hard to argue with a remington 870.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot