Prospector Tent

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bbbwb

Prospector Tent

Post by bbbwb »

I have purchased a canvas prospector tent and want to install a stove pipe ring. I purchased the manufactured ring but am wondering if anyone has some experience or suggestions as to the distance between top of stove pipe and the roof. I do not want to put the pipe out through the roof so must go out through the end wall. I am using a 6" stove pipe
Look forward to your thoughts.

bbbwb
KNIGHTS OF NI

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

We put ours in the far wall opposite the door.
The height depends on the pipe height off the stove, we came about 18" down from the roof, trying to be as centered as we can but keeping at least a foot from the window.
The fun part will be sewing it in! :lol:
We deliberated for hours as to the hole location but when we got there it was no big deal, just keep some distance from the stove and walls etc.
Have fun
Knights of Ni
bbbwb

Prospector Tent

Post by bbbwb »

Knights of NI
I was planning to bring stove inward from the end wall 2 feet so that the stove pipe outside would be about 1 foot from wall on outside. Does that seem to be sufficient distance for inside and outside?
Since the window is not very far down from roof, I was thinking of placing stove pipe chimney below window in the centre of the wall. This means placing 90 degree elbow out top of stove and then running a 3 foot pipe horizontal through wall setting up distances from tent wall as stated above.
Your thoughts?

bbbwb
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I had mine run through the roof. And it is "fun" sewing the ring in. I haven't had mine set up in a couple of years so I can't recall the distance of the stove or the stove pipe from the walls. Looking at a picture I have in front of me I think I'm between 12-18" from the wall.

Oh yeah setting one of these tents up by yourself can be a challenge.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
KNIGHTS OF NI

Post by KNIGHTS OF NI »

That should be ok. We put ours to the left of the window so we could get more height for the hole to give us a near 45 degree incline on the pipe.
If you can, avoid horizontal sections as they can gather ash.
Also make sure you get a "china cap" for the top with a spark arrestor in it to avoid sparks getting to your tent.
Just make sure you have enough distance from the outlet to allow any stuff that gets through to be cool enough as to be harmless, and helps keep your tent clean.
As before don't over analize it, take precautions and you will be fine.
Regards Kinghts of Ni