What now?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sinclair

What now?

Post by sinclair »

With deer season on the horizon I am anxious and optimistic about a potential harvest. this will be my first season hunting deer. After a deer is shot is it necessary to field dress or will a butcher do that as well. Also who is recommended in the Hamilton (Smithville) area for the butchering and how much does this usually cost? Thanks for any help.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

You will need to field dress your deer. The sooner after the kill the better. You need to start cooling the carcass.

Try butchering your own deer. It may take awhile the first few times, but you will find you can do a pretty good job. With the help of Ecoaster I've done my last three deer. Not so sure I would pay to have someone else do it for me again. Butchering your own game adds another dimension to the hunt.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Hey, Sinclair ... if I haven't said "Welcome" yet, Welcome! :D

Unless you know a very helpful butcher and can get it there pronto, you should immediately field dress upon killing.

If you're willing and you can find someone to help you, you'd be much better off to learn how to field-dress, butcher and process your own deer from the very start. If you can, get someone with experience to show you the first time, and then take it from there. Lacking that, even a good video or book beats taking every deer to a processor.

You can get set up with a gambrel and hoist, some good knives, tubs, wrap and paper, etc., for around $75.

I don't know what people in your area charge for deer processing, but even years ago when I started deer hunting, local guys were charging $50-55 per deer. If I had paid a processor to do every deer I've killed, I'd have spent more than four thousand dollars by now! Think of the equipment you can buy instead of paying someone to do an easy task like putting up a deer.

It might seem like a big deal to you now, but trust me, there's nothing to it ... and remember ... when it comes to butchering and processing your deer, no one cares like you! You've got to watch processors anyway ... some are good and honest ... some aren't!

Do what you want, but as your fellow hunter, I encourage you to tackle it yourself. I think you'll be glad you did. :D
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

In the area where we hunt deer in Ontario (Millbrook/Peterborough) we've found it difficult to find a butcher to process so we've started doing it by ourselves. But there is no doubt, the sooner you field dress the deer the better.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Hey sinclair,

I hunt in Caistorville, Smithville and Grimsby Mountain. Where you huntin in Smithville? Anyways, we take all our deer after field dressed to Gourmet Meats on hwy 6 near Caledonia. Last year it was $160 for a 230lb. buck. They are great people to deal with.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
TPM

Post by TPM »

Last year it was $160 for a 230lb. buck.
Yikes! :shock: I hope they come and cook it for you for that price! I paid $40 for my buck last year. Good clean job and the steaks come vacuum packed. Had another guy I used in the past and he charged $65 for the last deer he did for me. Both guys charge about an extra $10-$15 if you want them to skin it too. I've done some of my own butchering in the past (under the guidance of an experienced butcher) and will probably tackle it myself this year.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Sinclair, do a google search for "butchering a deer" and you will find loads of self help guides and some book and video offers as well. However, theres nothing like hands on experience itself. If you know someone that hunts, ask them to give you a call the next time they put one up. You'll probably miss out on the field dressing but you should learn a lot. :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Ridderikoff Meats in Fenwick does deer, moose, bear. They are near the corner of Hwy. 20 & Balfour Street.

I've butchered my own deer, as well as had the butcher do it. The other guys are right: its not really that hard to do it yourself and the the quality of the cuts will be better. But if I'm in a pinch for time, the butcher is my fallback.

Ninepointer
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I butcher my own. I find that getting the hide off as soon as possible so deer can cool is of utmost importance. I just skin them, let them set up overnight (if it's cool) and bone them out without cutting any bones (marrow is very fatty, it spoils much like pork fat... even in the freezer). "Ageing" deer by letting them hang spoils more meat than anything short of poor field dressing. Don't work unless you can maintain the temp precisely just above freezing. If you must do it, at least get the hide off. I cut and wrap prime cuts and roasts for freezer and package and freeze trim for taking to sausage maker later. (Like in January, after the less-cared-for venison has been processed). Every so often I take the hinds in to be made into dried venison, cured smoked and sliced. Open a package of that and I'll guarantee you there won't be any left to refrigerate.
I also use a propane torch passed quickly over the deer carcass after skinning to burn the hair off. Works great.
BigUgly

Post by BigUgly »

Boy this thread is going to stir up some differences. Cossack likes to skin his deer immediately but I have different views. I've seen more meat loss by skinning and letting the meat dry out then leaving hair on it. We always hang our deer witht the skin on unless we have above 10c weather for more than a day. Last year one doe dad got hung for a day and a half with hide on in 15c daytime temps, lots of years if the weather is cool we'll let the deer hang for 5+ days. That IMHO is the best deer you can eat. The meat was just fine when we butchered it. Butchering yourself is not a real hard chore. If you look at how the muscle groups are put together it's fairly easy to do we also just roast it out no chops or bones just roast and ground.
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

I have been watching video's on YouTube.
There are plenty of different vids on fielddressing, Skinning and Butchering
it's worth checking out!!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Unless it's really hot out, I don't believe it's a good idea to skin out game any sooner than absolutely necessary. The hide makes the best shield possible for keeping the meat clean as you transport the carcass. It also protects against excessive drying.

Sometimes folks don't open far enough up the neck and take out as much esophagus and windpipe as they should. Remember, the esophagus is the top end of the digestive tract. That can cause spoilage starting from the neck down if you leave too much there. Also, opening up the neck helps it to cool down from the inside.

By the way, as far as cost of butchering goes, I got my elk done up for $180.00 this fall. Some folks are paying a pretty penny to have a deer butchered.

However.....IF handling the meat yourself is going to turn you aginst eating it, then pay whatever it takes to get it processed. Some folks are bothered by handling raw meat. So, be realistic. If you won't get over handling your own raw meat, get someone to do it for you. It would be a shame to have it become Jurassic venison either because you can't stand handling raw meat, or you do a bad job and the wife won't cook it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

[quote="TPM"][quote]Last year it was $160 for a 230lb. buck.[/quote]

Yikes! :shock: I hope they come and cook it for you for that price! I paid $40 for my buck last year. Good clean job and the steaks come vacuum packed. Had another guy I used in the past and he charged $65 for the last deer he did for me. Both guys charge about an extra $10-$15 if you want them to skin it too. I've done some of my own butchering in the past (under the guidance of an experienced butcher) and will probably tackle it myself this year.[/quote]

We have them skinned, the head and antlers shipped to the taxidermist in oakville (i think), steaked and vacummed pack and all the trim is ran through a grinder, mixed with pork and made into sausag and pepperets.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

there is a place just down the road from me on highway 6 south just before caledonia on the right hand side heading towards caledonia. never been there but apparently they do a good job and i believe they may have an area to do your own stuff. not to sure tho. if your interested and its not to far from your location ill get you the name.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Bow Life, thats Gourmet Meats, thaths where we take our deer.
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release